Is this a BIOS setting?

Iain

A pal gave me an old PC (595MHz, Win98 SE + 64MB RAM!) and I wanted to add some more RAM so I did so. I turned it on whilst the case was open (yes, I know that I shouldn't have done so), just to check that the new RAM had been fitted correctly and that the PC recognised it, but the PC didn't get past the "Press F2 to enter setup" stage. I removed the newly installed RAM and tried again but the same happened. I closed the case and tried once again (in desperation) and it booted normally. I reinstalled the new RAM, closed the case and rebooted - everything was fine so I'm a happy bunny!

I presume that this behaviour is a safety feature? Is it a setting in the BIOS which enables it? I asked another friend to try to turn his PC on when the case was open and it booted normally - so I guess it's a feature of the PC that I've been given.

It sounds weird and I've never encountered anything like it but unless you are lying it sure seems like it's some kind of safety feature. Even though I gotz w1ck3d lee7 sk1llz I can't tell you what settings you have in your bios without breaking into your house and booting your computer while you sleep. But I think that might be too much of a hassle.

But I will tell you the secret to finding out what settings you have in your bios: push f2 when it's booting like it says and look around. Now you too have computer hacking skills!

could be an intrusion detection feature, could be a component not quite seated right

try removing the bios battery for a while and shorting the battery connections with a screwdriverm that sometimes works

when you fit RAM it's easy to nudge the other stick(s) so they appear to be installed but aren't quite where they should be, give them a wiggle and try again.

if that doesn't work, strip it and rebuild it.

The PC that's demonstrating this odd behaviour is made by Packard Bell but it doesn't have a model number etc. noted on the case.

Regarding stripping down and rebuilding, I'm considering that because I don't like the case that it's in (plastered with the manufacturere's name). I intend having a smaller case (I'll check that the form and cooling properties etc. will be OK) and then installing a "clean" OS. By that I mean something which doesn't display "Packard Bell" and a load of happy smiling faces across the desktop!

Finally, I had a quick look around the BIOS but couldn't see anything obvious. I wondered if this behaviour was a recognised feature of some BIOS software.

Thanks for the input so far.

Iain

Wel if its realy a Packard Bell system try to find the model or serial number of this box and go to the Packard Bell website.

Here you can find out all about that box (including this tempering setting you spook of (that you can set of in the bios setting))

:wink:

Gerard

I've been investigating further - the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-6WMM7 rev 2. I've looked at the Gigabyte site but can't see anything relevant there. Come to think of it, as the board is a generic one, if I rebuild it in a different case and then install a "clean" OS, the only remnant from Packard Bell would be the BIOS. I suspect that I could re-flash it, assuming I could get what I need from the Gigabyte website.

I'm happy doing most of this myself but may need a computer tech/engineer to hold my hand for some of what I'd like to do. It looks as if I might have to sweet talk one of the guys at my local PC repair centre. With any luck, they may allow me to do everything under their supervision at their workshop or they may be willing to let me watch whilst they do everything. Either way, it'll cost me, but at least I'll learn. If I do find why this odd case open/closed behaviour happens, I'll post back here.

Here's an update. I've trawled the Gigabyte site and it seems that "Case Open Detection" is a feature of several of their motherboards, including this one (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1507). I've no idea how it works. It happens as soon as the PC is turned on, so I doubt that it's related to the CPU temperature. I just wonder if it's a light-sensitive device on the motherboard that detects light over a certain intensity (there are holes in the case so it can't be an absolute dark/not dark phenomenon. I'm considering trying it again with the case open, but with the room light off. If my suspicion is correct, it *should* boot normally.

Anyway, folks here now know that Case Open Detection is a feature of Gigabyte motherboards!

It's a 2-pin plug on the MoBo IIRC. Never seen what would need to be attached to it, but I would expect it to be some kind of button that will make your speaker beep like hell when it's depressed.

I've seen these systems on big hardware boxes that are deployed in public places. I worked on the (shitty) software for a (shitty) picture cabin once and it too employed such a feature. Only instead of a wimpy PC speaker they had a horn in there that would make WWII veterans run for the nearest bomb shelter. :twisted:

I had an old Dell Optiplex (I forget the model but it was a PII, probably about the same age as this Packard Bell) years ago and it had an intrusion detection switch, it was a small black microswitch on the side of the case frame where the top plastic 'lid' of the case would depress it when the computer was complete.

It didn't seem to do anything though, it didn't make the computer beep or 'not work' with the case off... Must've been turned off. Basically though that's the bulk of my experience with intrusion detection systems in computer cases.

I doubt they'd ever use a light detection method because it could potentially be triggerred too easily, such as the rear of the machine facing a very sunny window in the middle of summer...

well look, with the side off it doesnt work, with the side on it does work. go figure.

There are no switches or wires attached to the case which could detect when the case was open. If there had been a microswitch with wires leading to the motherboard, I wouldn't have started this thread because the mechanism behind the behaviour would have been obvious.