Can the Mk V be powered via the USB Interface ?

St3v3

I should probably point out that while back-feeding through the USP port to power the unit is a universally bad idea - you can however power the unit via USB (such as a laptop or power bank) with this cable:

http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/usb-power-cable

Do not, repeat DO NOT!!!! Try to hook that cable to a pineapple juice and power it through the usb port on the pineapple.

Edited by barry99705

I will tell you now that this DOES NOT WORK cost me a new pineapple after I plugged the wrong USB cable and smoke started to poor out the CPU gets very hot very quickly... It was late I was tired and I should not have done it I know :blink:

My new pineapple has its USB port taped up to remind me not to be a numpty again :wacko:

I will tell you now that this DOES NOT WORK cost me a new pineapple after I plugged the wrong USB cable and smoke started to poor out the CPU gets very hot very quickly... It was late I was tired and I should not have done it I know :blink:

My new pineapple has its USB port taped up to remind me not to be a numpty again :wacko:

Well, what does work is buying the connector Darren mentioned. Plug the USB end into a laptop or a USB charger / battery pack. Connect the barrel connector to the pineapple's power port.

DO NOT plug in the USB to the Pineapple and the Barren to a battery. That'll fry it.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• 4 months later...

Darren, Any idea as to when those cables will be in stock - I keep checking, and they're always reported as out of stock.

Thanks

Like St3v3 wrote, I also found this sold out. But any "USB to 5.5mm / 2.1mm 5V DC Barrel Jack Power Cable" should work right? - Ask because a +1,5 meter wire would match better, what I have in mind.

Slightly related so I didn't bother to create a new topic:

How hard is that max 12V limit? Would it be ok to power it from a car cig lighter socket? I know the 12V in a car can swing quite a bit, peaks of 14V are not uncommon, so I rather ask first.

Maybe safer to go the 12V -> 5V USB -> Pineapple 5-12V input way?