VPN securing internet traffic;

Ub3rZ4cH

Hello, firstly I am new so yeah sorry If I post this in the wrong section etc...

Okay so here is the deal I have an awesome PFSENSE setup, (custom router blah). My question is as when it comes to networking I am a complete NOOB (only reason I have managed to set up pfsense is help of tutorials haha), How could I encrypt all my internet traffic LAN and WAN (like a transparent proxy/vpn) without actually using an external VPN or some other dudes VPN service (dont know if I can trust people providing the VPN).

So using pfsense I can connect to a VPN easily but can I make the VPN local in the same network but make all traffic go through that first? I dont know if this makes any sense, but I basically wish to find a way to encrypt all my internet traffic without the use of a external VPN

If you run the VPN end point on your own network then your traffic will be encrypted at the router, go into the VPN, come out again on your network, get decrypted and then leave the network. There is no way to encrypt the traffic and send it out without having something on the other end to decrypt it whether that is your own VPN server or one you pay for.

If you run the VPN end point on your own network then your traffic will be encrypted at the router, go into the VPN, come out again on your network, get decrypted and then leave the network. There is no way to encrypt the traffic and send it out without having something on the other end to decrypt it whether that is your own VPN server or one you pay for.

Ohhhh okay :(.

Just to add to what digininja said, when you exit the VPN/Tunnel you are using, your encrypted traffic only goes as far as your VPN endpoint. That said, if you were running a VPN server at home, and were at a local wifi hotspot you didn't trust, you could setup a VPN client on your laptop or whatever mobile device, to VPN home and access your home files or surf over your home network, so anyone at the cafe/hotspot, would not be able to sniff your traffic. So VPN's have their purpose, but from your desktop to a local VPN on the same home LAn, out of your network, your IP and data would still show as your home router's external interface of your ISP and the traffic unencrypted as it leaves your home network.

You're always going to be at the mercy of your exit node though, even in a TOR setup or third party proxy or VPN, so thats a risk you have to weigh in who you choose to surf through if you did decide to go with a third party VPN, something I use myself. If it were for a private network, like work to home and vice versa, thats where a VPN really comes in handy to access files securely between two end points or if you and your friends setup your own LAN/WAN with your own VPN server, everyone sharing data over that network, if on the VPN, should be safe(**for the most part) from prying eyes, sans anyone who had a compromised node connected to the internet and someone was in their machine, then an attacker could see what was going over the VPN at that point.

• 2 months later...

A paid VPN service is great becuase it will do all this work for you. I am currently running IPVanish and have no problems. If trust is an issue, like you said, you have to look for VPN services like IPVanish or Overplay that won't log all your activity when youre torrenting or other stuff. Message me if you have any further questions!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, firstly I am new so yeah sorry If I post this in the wrong section etc...

Okay so here is the deal I have an awesome PFSENSE setup, (custom router blah). My question is as when it comes to networking I am a complete NOOB (only reason I have managed to set up pfsense is help of tutorials haha), How could I encrypt all my internet traffic LAN and WAN (like a transparent proxy/vpn) without actually using an external VPN or some other dudes VPN service (dont know if I can trust people providing the VPN).

So using pfsense I can connect to a VPN easily but can I make the VPN local in the same network but make all traffic go through that first? I dont know if this makes any sense, but I basically wish to find a way to encrypt all my internet traffic without the use of a external VPN

Are you using Linux or something like it,because if you want anonymity for free i suggest download and installing tor vidalia,then go into your proxychains configuration file and add free proxy servers from for example hidemy ass, your internet will bee much slower but it does work.

Il provide instructions below

Requirements :

Any Linux Distribution

Step 1

Install tor vidalia using

Sudo apt-get install tor vidalia

step 2

Start tor vidalia using

sudo service tor start

step 3

type

Locate proxychains

step 4

type

sudo leafpad <file to your proxy conf>

step 5

get some free proxyservers from hidemyass.com (google is your friend)

step 6

enter them where is

enter proxxy here

step 7

uncomment dynamicc chain and random chain

step 8

go to your browser settings and where manual proxy instert where sockshost socks 4 <tor ip> port <tor port>

step 9

Check it using whatsmyip.org

I hope this helps :D