Safe Operating Temperatures

Darkcrimson

Greetings,

I've recently ordered the Mark V and am anxiously awaiting it's delivery! In the meantime, I've been sketching out different ideas; some of which require the pineapple to be exposed to negative digit temperatures over a prolonged duration. While I've searched the hakshop's product page for the pineapple, I've not found anything to indicate a safe temp.

This is more a question of curiosity than anything else. As a matter of fact, I'm totally down with just insulating a pelican case with hand warmers if need be or waiting until summer for the technofun. My first notion would be that any electronic device exposed to -30F windchill over 8 hours will not be happy, especially the battery. Any thoughts or further clarification?

Thanks ;)

Windchill only affects wet/living objects, so don't worry about that part of the temperature issue. It's solid state, so you don't have to worry about bearings freezing, like a computer, which will crap out at around -20F, at least that's where mine did. I've run D-Link web cams outside to -50F with no issues, so the pineapple should work just fine. Throw it in a sealed case with a pack of desiccant so you don't get condensation and it should be good to go.

Forgot about the battery, that's not going to like the cold. It probably won't work at the temps you're talking about. I had to keep photo-lithium AA's in my mini-mag light for flight line work because normal AA's didn't work after -20F.

Edited by barry99705

It's the batteries that will die first.. I recently deployed mine in the teens. Black case, pluck foam in the case and the pineapple flush against the batteries. The pineapple kept everything warm enough for my 48hr battery case.

Hey, that's a good idea!