Windows Vista: only upgrade once, transfer once

Garda

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234

apparently the new vista license is only going to allow you to upgrade your computer one time and to transfer the license to another computer one time.

This, along with other things like the fact that vista has an all new network stack and some other things i believe makes it a somewhat unpalatable option for some people. I particularly don't like the idea that WGA has to phone home all of the time to make sure that you're running a proper version of windows.

who here thinks they are actually going to buy vista? who thinks they are going to stick with XP or do something else? i guess if you buy a new computer you won't really have much of a choice.

i think most people wont care. I don't believe that alot of people upgrade their computers during the lives of those computers. Remember most people aren't hackers.

I don't see the problem. You're upgrading a computer which has Vista on it, therefore after an upgrade you pretty much have a 2nd computer from the left over parts. So if you could install Vista on more than one computer, you effectively can put Vista on those 2 computers. Where as the new license says you have to buy a new copy for each computer. What is wrong with that...

I vauguely remember having the exact same conversation about XP when it was coming out. From the calling home to how many machines it can be put on, etc. The only difference is the WGA. I don't think it's going to be much more of an issue than it was with XP. I'm probably going to upgrade to Vista so that I can be familiar with it for work. I've got a boss that likes to be up-to-date and doesn't have a huge problem spending money. Maybe when it comes out we can have our own little personal support thread amongst those of us that are going to be stuck with Vista.

but of course .. were frogeting, none of us would ever run pirated software ... now would we?

no cos winnerz don't do warez

but in fact it may be the case that people who don't pay for the software are going to get the better deal

when someone can crack the WGA stuff so that it doesn't call home and it doesn't check to see if your version is legitimate, you have complete freedom to do as you please.

Call me a MS sympathiser and wish death apon me if you want to, but I kinda feel sorry for MS. The fact that they have a userbase much larger than what the quality of their software warrants aside, they do have a case where apparently 50% of windows installs in asia are illegitimate. I heard on WW at twit that that is the main reason for this. I guess in that way, their product is copied by people on a major scale so they're trying to do something about it.

Where as the new license says you have to buy a new copy for each computer. What is wrong with that...

The way i see it is if i buy the thing i should be able to put it on as many computers in my home as i want. If i have 5 computers in my home i dont want to have to buy 5 copys of vista. This is like saying if i buy a game i cant install the game on every computer in my home. I can only install it on one computer.

Where as the new license says you have to buy a new copy for each computer. What is wrong with that...

The way i see it is if i buy the thing i should be able to put it on as many computers in my home as i want. If i have 5 computers in my home i dont want to have to buy 5 copys of vista. This is like saying if i buy a game i cant install the game on every computer in my home. I can only install it on one computer.

I totally agree with you. I have also been BETA Testing Windows Vista, and its alright, but then again so is XP. I mean if you dont activate your copy of Vista, it goes to the classic interface and IE7 doesnt work. YAY Firefox and better performance.

Why should you? There is a difference between "I want to" and something being OK.

what about formating?.. there hasn't been an MS OS that I haven't had to format at LEAST once for in the course of a year. Are they going to make you buy another copy of vista for the same machine just because you ended up with a bad virus that was going around? If I end up with a virus... I spend about 3 days reading up on how to get rid of it. Once it's gone, over the next week, the stability of the OS drops to next to 0 and i'm prety much forced to format since repair doesnt seem to do a whole lot.