Mentor

pg94

If there is anyone out there who can help me? My goal is to gain as much experience as possible while in college to make my self very marketable before I graduate. I've applied for numerous internships all over the country. I just need help with a few things.

1) Where are some open source projects I could work on, or how could I start my own?

2) Any conferences or gatherings I could go to that would enable me to network with others?

3) What are some other things that I haven't mentioned that would make me more marketable?

(Aside from GPA and being active in a club on campus) (I'm a Computer Science Major but my focus is mainly security)

If there is anyone out there who can help me? My goal is to gain as much experience as possible while in college to make my self very marketable before I graduate. I've applied for numerous internships all over the country. I just need help with a few things.

1) Where are some open source projects I could work on, or how could I start my own?

All over the place. If you have done any kind of security stuff then you've probably used lots of them. Pick your favourite, fix a bug, add a feature, write some documentation, get involved.

2) Any conferences or gatherings I could go to that would enable me to network with others?

Tons, depends where you are based, what your budget is and how far you can travel. There are BSides events in most US cities and larger conferences probably at least once a month in one of the bigger cities.

3) What are some other things that I haven't mentioned that would make me more marketable?

(Aside from GPA and being active in a club on campus) (I'm a Computer Science Major but my focus is mainly security)

Get involved, get into the community and build a reputation. Certificates are good if you want to try to get into a large company as HR will often use them as a quick filter but if you are going for a smaller firm then it is all about passion and experience, not as in work but as in being involved.

Build yourself a lab and work in it, that will help.

Look for CCDC in your are, that will give you lots of experience if you can be involved.