Kali and ethernet/wifi?

TN.Frank

When I did my Kali 1.0.6 install I hooked in my ethernet cable just to keep things simple. Never know when a Distro won't have drivers or support for wifi. Anyway, now everytime I boot up it takes forever and a day looking for eth0 until finally it gives up and boots. Is there anyway I can stop it from looking for a connection so it'll boot faster?

Also, on a related point. Once I boot up my wifi is down by default. I'd like it to automatical connect to the wifi on boot. Where would I change the settings to get it to do that or is it just somekind of built in "safety" feature of Kali? Thanks.

Edited by TN.Frank

Kali is supposed to be used for pentesting. No use having it boot up and let everybody and their brother know you are there.

Kali is Debian and despite all the extra "tools" that it includes can be used like any other Debian OS. I just want to use it because it has pre-installed and configured SDR capabilities. I'd also like it to automatically connect to my wifi if there's a way to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.

I have kali and my wifi connects automatically. I actually made sure it doesn't from now on.

Did Kali automatically connect for you or did you have to configure it do do that? So far all the installs of Kali I've done don't automatically connect. I mean it's no big deal to go up and hit "enable wifi" but still, it'd be nice if it'd just do it on it's own since I'm not in "hostile" territory with my laptop doing pentesting or anything.LOL.

Kali is Debian and despite all the extra "tools" that it includes can be used like any other Debian OS. I just want to use it because it has pre-installed and configured SDR capabilities. I'd also like it to automatically connect to my wifi if there's a way to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Kali is a pretty modified version of Debian, so it doesn't act exactly like Debian. The file you want to edit is /usr/sbin/update-rc.d . Make sure networking, and network manager is whitelisted down towards the bottom of the file. I know my work Dell laptop will automatically connect to wifi, but my compaq personal laptop won't because of driver issues. I have to rfkill unblock all on it first before it will fire up the wireless card. Stupid fake power switch for the wifi doesn't work correctly on this version of Kali.