IE7 Install Borked

BraytonAK

Anyone else have %($(@*& issues installing IE7? RC1 wouldn't install on my first notebook. RC2 wouldn't install on my desktop. Now the released version won't install on my other notebook. What the?

The released version is now on my first notebook, but it nearly hosed my other one. First the install failed, so it tries to self-uninstall, which hosed IE6. Rebooting hosed Windows Explorer completely. Had to resort to System Restore in Safe Mode.

I tried installing IE7 in safe mode, but it won't get beyond the Windows Genuine check. The error in the IE7.log doesn't match anything listed on the Troubleshooting page at Microsoft's site.

The computer is already really sluggish at booting after a year of use, so I may just re-install Windows, add IE7 and then all the patches again. That's a lot of work, though, since Vista will be out in February.

Thoughts?

No problems what so ever, IE7 release of today (and all the beta's before it) install it now on all the 6 windows boxes here with no problems. (but than again al software here is original and legale).

Maybe if you try to on install your current IE in save mode and afther completion try to install IE7 again in normale mode.

That shut work good under WinXP or Win2000 and Win2003.

:wink:

Gerard

i was hearing some weird stuff about how IE7 was giving some people problems. I think it may have to do with your copy of windows, is it a pirate copy? If so then try to find a real one or try to get a crack to pass that WGA crap. But really IE7? Just stick to the ones that work like Firefox and Opera.

Dose anyone know if that would work on a linux box?

I have linux on a HDD in my drawer and cant be arsed to put it in my pc and all that hassle....

so can anyone test that for me? :)

I want IE7 installed on all three of my machines for two reasons. First, there are some sites that occasionally don't render or function correctly under Firefox. I can also have both open to log in to my site with on, yet be anonymously viewing on the other, to see what things look like. For those times where I'm using IE because of rendering or functionality issues, I'd prefer to have an up-to-date browser.

The second reason is because not everyone is convinced that Firefox is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personally, I love it, but I'm not here to tell people what they should use based on my preference. There are people in my family that simply don't like Firefox. It doesn't do things the way they're used to. That doesn't make either browser 'wrong'. It's their preference.

Now, aside from Firefox plug-ins, is there any particular place where people seem to be congregating to troubleshoot these issue publicly? I'm backing up my other notebook right now so I can continue to try to get it to work.

I'm using a Dell-installed version of Windows MCE. None of my computers are running pirated software. Sorry to disappoint.

I want IE7 installed on all three of my machines for two reasons. First, there are some sites that occasionally don't render or function correctly under Firefox.

Did you try it in Opera?

No, because I didn't want to. Some things, especially at work, are designed specifically for IE. Trying to get your family to use something different just isn't going to happen, no matter how you sugar coat it. I've had to turn off the tabs on one machine already, if that gives you a clue about how picky they are.

I showed my mum and the rest of my family Firefox, and they never looked back. My brother (who dosn't understand computers paticulaly well) even asked his school admin if they would install Firefox. Of course he refused (idiot), but never the less, they all love it.

I showed my mum and the rest of my family Firefox, and they never looked back. My brother (who dosn't understand computers paticulaly well) even asked his school admin if they would install Firefox. Of course he refused (idiot), but never the less, they all love it.

You, sir, are fortunate. My boyfriend didn't like it because of the tabs and some other petty differences. My mom didn't like it because Firefox handles saved passwords a bit differently. My aunt doesn't use Firefox, even though I've set up her computer to make it harder to find IE.

I actually would use IE a lot more if the few plug-ins that I use were available for it. I'm not a fanboy of any brand or version of any item. I go for what fits and works. At least IE7 makes things a lot more familiar when using machines that don't have Firefox.

Has anyone known someone to run and/or cry because they can't find IE on a MAC or a PC running Linux?

Well, can't comment on the Mac since I never owned one, but the PC running Linux, no, never happened. People unfamiliar with Linux tend to treat my machine with that curious respect and hesitation (reverie?) that you used to see when you were the only one on the block to even have a computer and they were afraid to touch it until the game was running. And even then they were afraid they might break something.

Then you bring up something familiar (Seamonkey. If you're thinking 'what?' you should stay in more) and suddenly you get pushed away and they go do their thing.

The only troublesome things from letting such individuals play with my machine are:

- They click Yes to anything in terms of missing plugins. Thankfully they're not _that_ easy to install here.

- They are quickly annoyed by the 'Do you want this cookie question', which they quickly dismiss with an 'Accept all from domain', which takes some cleanup afterwards.

- The concept of 'focus follows mouse' is beyond their comprehension. They only notice that 'the thing stopped working' when the mouse was accidentally shoved beyond the window border.

- They tend to close down the program when they're done, regardless of the myriad of other tabs I had left open for my own stuff.

- One went to fetch me with a mildly panic-stricken face when her Alt-F4 'did something really weird' (changed virtual desktops).