Can someone help me get gr-air-modes working?

Tried to install it, epic fail then I checked Synaptic to see if anything was there and low and behold it was already installed. I did a re-install but when I click on "modes_gui" nothing happens at all. SDR is up and running fine with Gqrx and I can start "rtl_adsb" and it shows that it's running but no GUI to watch the planes fly around?

Edited by TN.Frank

I didn't have to compile form source, it's pre-installed in Kali Linux 1.0.6. I just don't know how I should start things up or what I need to do to get things going. This is why I went with Kali Linux, because it has all the SDR stuff pre-installled so all the dependencies are taken care of.

Also, just to make sure I actually burned the .iso to DVD and did a re-install so I'd know that everything was there since the USB installed kind of flaky.

Anyway way to simply walk me through the steps to get things going after install? I mean what do I start first, what do I do next, ect. Thanks.

I didn't have to compile form source, it's pre-installed in Kali Linux 1.0.6. I just don't know how I should start things up or what I need to do to get things going. This is why I went with Kali Linux, because it has all the SDR stuff pre-installled so all the dependencies are taken care of.

Also, just to make sure I actually burned the .iso to DVD and did a re-install so I'd know that everything was there since the USB installed kind of flaky.

Anyway way to simply walk me through the steps to get things going after install? I mean what do I start first, what do I do next, ect. Thanks.

That was the missing part. The version installed in Kali is missing parts "No module named air_modes_swig". It's also on old version, version 1 is out, which is what I tried to compile, which doesn't work either. It would be nice if the developer finished his web page, half the links go nowhere.

That was the missing part. The version installed in Kali is missing parts "No module named air_modes_swig". It's also on old version, version 1 is out, which is what I tried to compile, which doesn't work either. It would be nice if the developer finished his web page, half the links go nowhere.

So gr-air-modes is installed but air_modes_swig isn't? So what parts do we need to install to get this up and running? Thanks.

It would be oh so cool to get it working. I'd love to see what kind of traffic we're getting at our local(and small) airport. Of course I'd have to look at 978MHz instead of 1090MHz since small aircraft use that freq and not the other one. Or I guess I could go 1090 and see what large aircraft are flying over head. Either way I really want to get this up and running not only for something cool to do but as a learning experience too so I'll know how to do it and be able to help others out.

Yea, this is the one real argument the windows evangelists have on linux. Shit works great, then someone makes a small change somewhere and all hell breaks loose. It's one of the main reasons I went from Slackware to Ubuntu years ago. Ubuntu seems to have a better-ish track record of not breaking things too badly.

Well, when you lock your Op System down with a Copyright then you can control every little thing about it. With Linux being GPL you get everyone and their grandma writing Code for it and you never know if it'll work or not. That's part of the reason I like to stay with something that's Debian Stable if I can because you know most of the stuff for it will work 99% of the time. I'm sure we'll get dump1090 from the other thread figured out and that'll work as well as gr-air-modes for messing around watching the planes fly around.