Getting an HP/Compaq NC4400, questions about cracking the BIOS Password.

TN.Frank

I'm picking up an HP/Compaq NC4400 laptop off of EvilBay for a pretty decent price. I already have an A/C Adapter and a hard drive for it so that's not a problem. What may be a problem is getting the start up password off of the system. I've looked up a couple links:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001302.htm

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Reset-BIOS-password-HP-6530b/td-p/118937

and this should give me the info that I need to reset things so I can get into the BIOS and set things up properly but I just wanted to pick everyone's brain here on the Hak5 Forum to see if they know of any other ways of getting the job done? Maybe some USB software that'd let me crack the BIOS password via a USB stick or something. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Um, because the seller posted this:

"This laptop has a power on password, which prevent you from accessing the computer until the password is removed or bypassed".

I'm sure just pulling the CMOS battery for a few minutes will clear it and all will be well but depending on where they put that little sucker it could either be easy peasy or a PITA so I just wanted to figure out other options first.

Also, this isn't exactly my first rodeo with this stuff. My daughter had a desktop PC and she forgot her password so I was able to clear it using the jumper on the mother board so I know it can be done. Just never messed with one for the BIOS before.

I've seen a few of em' on EvilBay where they use to be Corprate Laptops that had a BIOS Password for security. Never bothered to buy one but I got such a good deal on this one that I just had to take a chance. :rolleyes:

Out of all the computers I encounter, I have yet to see a BIOS password. But usually it is located by the RAM or hard disk.

I have them set on my laptops, keeps people like you from changing the boot order so you can get to my hard drive. ;)

Try this, not sure if it works or not though...

http://dogber1.blogspot.com/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html

Edited by barry99705

I have them set on my laptops, keeps people like you from changing the boot order so you can get to my hard drive. ;)

Try this, not sure if it works or not though...

http://dogber1.blogspot.com/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html

LOL, "People Like You", now that's funny right there. I don't think it's so much to keep people from getting to the BIOS as much as it is an extra layer of security for Corporate Computers where you not only need a login password but a password to even get it to boot. If the CMOS battery doesn't look like it'll be easy to get to then I'll do this to see if I can get a hash sum and then go from there. Thanks for the info.

Well, got the laptop and had to totally pull it apart and take the motherboard out to get to the CMOS battery. Pulled the battery for a few minutes and put everything back together and it still prompts for a password after POST. Even if I try to boot to a USB it ask for a password. I know there has to be some way of getting around this, some kind of back door password that I can use to get into BIOS and clear this stupid password. Someone has to have some idea of how to hack this and get into BIOS so I can clear this password. Come on, I mean this IS the Hak5 forum.LOL.

Try this. Enter whatever for the password until it gives you the error code. Paste the code here. Try the password it gives you. I just tested it on my hp mini. Works like a champ, though it doesn't really give you the password, it gives you the correct hash to unlock the laptop, you can then enter bios and reset.

I think I didn't leave the CMOS battery out long enough the first time. This time I left it out for about 20 minuites and put it all back together and LEFT THE LAPTOP battery OUT.LOL I think that was one step that I messed up on last time. Anyway, it's working like a champ, loading Kali on it now and I can't wait to see the numbers I get when I benchmarke it using CPU Blowfish. This is my fastest laptop to date, Core 2 Duo 2.0GHZ. Should be pretty fast. Oh well, see ya'll on the forums.