Silly question time! Importing into the UK

Aranadin

Hi guys, been a while since I've visited, but I have been drooling over the mark V for quite some time now, but I'm not overly fond of paying stupid amounts of import taxes etc on my new toy, can anyone tell me if I buy a new pineapple, if I indicate on the shipping form that it is a gift, would I still get charged? Slap me if I'm being a bit thick by all means!

Thanks for the reply, I'm only asking as I was always under the impression that items imported into the UK, but bought as a gift were never subject to taxation, I vaguely remember seeing something about this years ago, but for the life of me, I cannot find it now...

Oh hang on... seems I have found what I was looking for here... http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm

This little section from the above link explains all:)

'

Gifts sent from outside the EU

If you're sending or receiving a gift from outside the EU:

• Excise Duty is payable on any alcohol or tobacco products
  • Customs Duty is payable if the value of the gift exceeds £135, but will be waived if the amount of duty is £9 or under
  • import VAT is payable if the value of the gift exceeds £36

To qualify as a gift:

• It must have been sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in the UK.
  • The Customs Declaration must be completed correctly – see guidance on the customs procedures for goods posted to the UK link below.
  • It must be for the use of either you or your family.
  • There must be no commercial or trade element and it must not have been paid for by the recipient either directly or indirectly.
  • It must be of an occasional nature only - for example for a birthday or anniversary.
  • If it's perfume or toilet water it must be within the allowances described in the earlier section 'Perfume and toilet water'. If the allowances are exceeded than charges apply on the excess.

Customs procedures for goods posted to the UK

Gifts ordered over the internet - UK tax and duty still due

Ordering and paying for goods over the internet to be sent to someone other than you, doesn't count as a gift. The recipient will be liable to UK duty and tax.

Buying from abroad on the internet - what to look out for

Packages with gifts for more than one person

If one package contains several gifts for different people, perhaps family members, then each gift can benefit from the Import VAT £36 gift allowance as long as it's individually:

• wrapped
  • addressed
  • listed on the Customs Declaration'

So Hak5 guys, any of you fancy posting me one out as a private person??? Pretty please :D

Edited by Aranadin

its not going to happen (you would have more success asking someone who lived in the US but risky), just look into it. see how much it will cost.

sadly for me it ended up being $170AUD. :o

Also remember if you get a battery pack youll need to purchase a plug adapter for the charger.

Edited by markcoker