What are some cool stations to listen to?

Ok, so I got Gqrx working and I'm getting FM Raido stations fine but what are some other cool things to tune in to? Anyone care to give a quick primer on how to set up Gqrx to listen to stuff other then just "normal" radio stations? Thanks.

Ok, so I got Gqrx working and I'm getting FM Raido stations fine but what are some other cool things to tune in to? Anyone care to give a quick primer on how to set up Gqrx to listen to stuff other then just "normal" radio stations? Thanks.

I would go here and find your location. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

Then get some beer or whiskey and browse for some stations, note that I could not receive any signals other than fm with the stock antenna, at least in my area. I would suggest making a larger antenna or to purchase one online somewhere. Also most stations will either be NFM WFM or AM. Others might vary from LSB USB CW.

Also if you try listening to police, fire and ems some if not most systems are encoded. You will need additional software to listen to such frequencies.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-19-Police-Radio-Scanner/

Edited by deathdealerxx

So what are some of the buttons for. I know AM, WFM Stereo and Mono and kind of get NFM but what about CW-L and CW-U and the others? Anyone have a crash course in Gqrx and how to tune stuff in? I've look on the interweb but there's really nothing out there explain what all the controls are and what they're for.

So what are some of the buttons for. I know AM, WFM Stereo and Mono and kind of get NFM but what about CW-L and CW-U and the others? Anyone have a crash course in Gqrx and how to tune stuff in? I've look on the interweb but there's really nothing out there explain what all the controls are and what they're for.

http://rtlsdr.org/

I've picked up our local NOAA Weather station at 162.393.000 and found somekind of repetitive tone at 173.366.500, may be somekind of data transfer or something. Also it's a hoot to listen to the guys on their CB's in the 27MHz range. I also think I've picked up some aircraft in the 124-125MHz bandwidth but they talk to quickly it's hard to dial in on them and I normally just have to luck out and be on the right channel to hear them.