Best Distro for SDR?

I noticed that Kali Linux has a lot of SDR stuff straight out of the box for SDR. I wonder if it'd be a good Distro to run to play around with SDR?

I'm going to re-do my Point Linux install since I love using it as my main, everyday Distro but I think I'll dual boot with Kali and use the pre-installed SDR stuff and see if I can get my SDR Kit working. Anyway, chime in with your favorite Distro to use for SDR.

Well, Kali Linux is a bust. Can't get it to install right and I downloaded it from direct and bit torrent and neither one works.

Ended up having to totally reinstall my Point Linux 2.2 Op System so I'm starting fresh at least.

1) which version did you install

I tried 1.0.6, 32bit with both a direct download and a torrent download and also 1.0.3 that I had burned on a DVD from a couple months ago.

2) did you verify the download? e.g. md5sum/shasum?

Nope, don't know how to do that.

3) what is the spec of your computer/laptop/vmware

HP/Compaq nc6400, Intell Core Duo 1.83GHz dual core, 32 bit processor, 2GB DDR2-533MHz RAM, 320GB Hard Drive.

can you also type the following:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

the torrent should have checked the integrity of the download, so likely the mismatch is between the iso file and the burnt dvd.

to perform an md5sum the command is usually

md5sum <file>

this should match the hash digest printed next to the download on the kali download website

Edited by midnitesnake

For the direct download and the torrent download I used UNetbootin to make "Live" USB stick and got loop errors when I tried to boot to it. The one install option I did get wouldn't let me partition my hard drive.

Does Back Box(which is Ubuntu based and has a much easier installer) have any SDR programs pre-installed with the Distro?

Edited by TN.Frank

I heard that people experience problems with unetbootin; Have you tried http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install

I saw that but I've never had a problem wit any other Distro with UNetbootin before. Also, seeing the word "Windows" in the reading really turned me off to the idea, LOL.

BackBox is no help, nothing SDR related in the Distro.

Edited by TN.Frank

From

http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

(you probably need to apt-get some stuff first, like cmake)

$ git clone git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git

$ cd rtl-sdr/

$ mkdir build

$ cd build

$ cmake ../ -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON

$ make

$ sudo make install

$ sudo ldconfig

$ rtl_fm -f 96.3e6 -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE

where 96.3 will ba a local radio station

If you want to install gnuradio and if your using a *nix distro, i've found that the bash script at

http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio

works really well

$ wget http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio

$ chmod +x build-gnuradio

$ ./build-gnuradio

(that last one might need sudo privs, i can't remember)

Going to give BackTrack 5r3 a shot. Downloading it as I speak and I'll boot to it Live to see what it has available for SDR.

Probably nothing. They stopped support for it before sdr really got popular. Though I suppose you can just build from source. I've always had issues with unetbootin and kali. Just burn it to a dvd.

Finally got Kali LInux installed. They DIDN'T tell you that you have to log in as "root" the first time to set up a user account so it took me a while to log in. Once I'm in it looks a lot like Point Linux with it's MATE DE although I guess it's actually a GNOME 2 DE which is almost the same. Also it's more "Debian" then Point Linux so that I can't use Firefox, have to use Ice Weasel so Self Destructing Cookies are a No Go. Oh well, all in all I'm sure it'll work ok, just need to test the SDR now to see if it'll work.

Finally got Kali LInux installed. They DIDN'T tell you that you have to log in as "root" the first time to set up a user account so it took me a while to log in. Once I'm in it looks a lot like Point Linux with it's MATE DE although I guess it's actually a GNOME 2 DE which is almost the same. Also it's more "Debian" then Point Linux so that I can't use Firefox, have to use Ice Weasel so Self Destructing Cookies are a No Go. Oh well, all in all I'm sure it'll work ok, just need to test the SDR now to see if it'll work.

It's been root/toor since backtrack. Kali is debian, that was the whole point when they did the name change.

That's one thing I like about Kali, it's Debian which is what my Point Linux 2.2 is/was. Not messed with many PenTesting Distros so I didn't know about logging in as "root" the first time so I could set up an account, now I do.

I finally got Kali to install using the "install with speech synthesis" option. All the others would simply go into a loop and go nowhere. Either way, it's installed, I have all the coolness of SDR that comes pre-installed and I've installed Gnome Tweak Tool so I can set up the desktop the way I like it to be. Now if I could just get rid of Iceweasel and get the real deal Firefox. May have to see if there's a .deb package for Firefox.

That's one thing I like about Kali, it's Debian which is what my Point Linux 2.2 is/was. Not messed with many PenTesting Distros so I didn't know about logging in as "root" the first time so I could set up an account, now I do.

I finally got Kali to install using the "install with speech synthesis" option. All the others would simply go into a loop and go nowhere. Either way, it's installed, I have all the coolness of SDR that comes pre-installed and I've installed Gnome Tweak Tool so I can set up the desktop the way I like it to be. Now if I could just get rid of Iceweasel and get the real deal Firefox. May have to see if there's a .deb package for Firefox.

Hit up www.getfirefox.com click the download, it will give you a bz2 file. Then follow https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-linux.