linux newbie here

Antexter

Well i finally got around to getting a linux cd (fedora core5) installed it etc.

But now i am stuck i would like to access the internet but i use a cable & wireless 802.11g wireless lan mini usb adaptor, which fedora doesnt support so i now have no clue what to do. I hardly know anything about windows let alone linux so any help or knowledge will be brilliant!

Thanks.

This is just MY experience with Linux, so please try not to flame me for my noobness, but it has been my experience that many linux distrobutions have a difficult time recognising most USB devices, so check the documentation and see what devices are compatable with your distrobution, that may help.

google ndiswrapper, its basically a way of using your windows wifi drivers in linux if the device isn't supported by your distro. Takes a bit of pissing around with the command line but it does work. You won't however, be able to use the linux install for cracking wifi passwords if you have to use ndiswrapper.

I'm in over my head, i got to the extract it part doing " tar zxvf ndiswrapper-version.tar.gz" etc

"This will create ndiswrapper-version directory. Change to that

directory and run

make uninstall

make"

At that part i got stuck doesnt want to work :s what do i do?

You need to extract the folder to somewhere, su to root, then do a make install clean at the command line in that folder. I'm no expert but this might work. Then once you've done that, carry on with the install.

If you've never used Linux before I would suggest going to your local public library and getting some books on Linux. It will help you out a little bit, even if the book explains a distro that is different than the one you are running. Basically, keep at it. In the beginning it can be difficult and confusing but the more you use it the easier it becomes.

ndiswrapper is not so hard to use.

If I remember well, yo need to get a *.INF file which is in your windows driver directory.

#ndiswrapper -i [driver.inf]

#modprobe -a ndiswrapper

Your wifi card should work. To be sure, make a #iwconfig wlan0

After that, you need to wonfigure your wireless connection which is another story.

I haven't used a fedora base distribution for a long time but I think you should have a graphical user interface where you can simply select the package you want to install.

Check this out or try using a rpm package of ndiswrapper to install it.