Pineapple Bar Unavailable

haknakpdywak

You obviously don't understand what I'm saying if you have the Pineapple's Client Mode turned on and you are also using the Windows ICS configuration shown above. It isn't that the other way you are attempting won't work... It's just that obviously something has gone wrong. If you absolutely need this wired connection/ICS configuration for what you want to do with the Pineapple then by all means keep troubleshooting until you get it correct. But, you could try the other (non-wired) method if you just want to get some updates/infusions for your pineapple.

You can turn off all that ICS in Windows stuff and unplug the ethernet cable, then connect your windows machine via WiFi to Pineapple5_1901. That is wlan0 of the Pineapple. You don't need to set a static IP address or anything it serves you an address in the 172.16.42.X range via DHCP... Once your computer is on wlan0 and has that IP address, go to 172.16.42.1:1471 and log in to the Pineapple. Go to the Network Tile and go to the Client Mode Tab. In Client Mode tab have it connect to your Theodore access Point so that it will then provide that internet to the wlan0 side. It does this automatically via a bridge called br-lan. This is the most basic configuration of the Mark 5.

Home AP---(wlan1)Pineapple Client Mode---br-lan(bridge)---(wlan0)Pineapples AccessPoint----Windows Machine

Via this method your Pineapple will get internet from your Home Access Point and be able to update the Pineapple Bar, you will also be able to surf the net via your Windows Machine.

The client mode wasn't allowing connection through to the internet so I tried reconnecting to the Theodore wifi in the Network settings. This for some reason reset the pineapple's name and it's unable to connect to the Pineapple bar again. Luckily I got downloaded the needed widgets in the 10 min it was up.

Why would the name of your home Wireless Access Point change? That doesn't make sense. You might want to SSH in and take a look at your /etc/config/wireless file. See how many devices and networks are in there.

Yes it is strange. There are three outward facing names, one I created, the origonal Pineapple_1904, the auto-created Theodore 2, and the new Coffee Cup. All can be connected to and navigated to 1471 but no ip address is assigned and the pineapple bar is unreachable. Also the wider internet is unreachable despite the client mode connected to wifi.

Edited by haknakpdywak

On the Pineapple are you turning Karma on? And when you talk about three outward facing names, you're talking about different WiFi AP names that your Windows Machine creates, right? I guess I just assumed that Theodore was the name of your home Access Point when I suggested connecting to it. But if you have Karma turned on it might be seeing the probe requests from your laptop and it's creating the other "fake" APs and so it you are using Client mode to connect to one of those Karma created AP names you may just be in one big loop. Also, your windows machine, is it a VM?

Windows is the native OS and Theodore was the native Wifi. After refreshing the Windows install cleint mode is working and the constantly changing names has stopped :) . Also I made the mistake of putting on old alfa antennas on without the adapters so that may have been affecting it.

The only problem now is that theWindows Network Sharing Center doesn't recognise it when connected through Ethernet.

Ouch! rp-sma antennas without an adapter is bad. Glad you were able to sort out at least one of your problems.

If you're interested we've used a program called Team Viewer to have a sort of get together. We talked about a few issues and some setup stuff for infusions. When we do it again you might want to join in. Last time was a Saturday evening but I can do short ones most evenings if people are interested. Not that I'm an expert on any of this... Just a good way to share and ask questions.