Answers to common questions

Sebkinne

Wireless Issues

• I am not able to start wlan1 in AP mode! Is my device broken?
    No! The RTL8187 simply does not support AP mode.
  • I am trying to use clientmode to connect to a nearby 802.11N or 5GHz network but I can't find it!
    The RTL8187 does not support 802.11N or 5GHz networks.
  • Karma doesn't work for encrypted APs!
    Correct, it does not. Karma cannot emulate the handshake. Even if it did, we would not be able to understand the traffic without the key.
  • When I use airodump on a monitor interface, I keep seeing it stuck on the channel -1. What's going on here?
    This is a bug which has a very simple resolution: The interface you used to create the monitor interface needs to be down. In the case of wlan1, simply execute "ifconfig wlan1 down" after you bring up the monitor mode interface. The -1 channel bug will disappear.

Webinterface Issues

• When I open the webinterface, I only get a top bar with no tiles visible. Is my Pineapple broken?
    If you have not made any modifications to the webinterface and / or added an infusion that is not available through the WiFi Pineapple Bar (third party install instructions, such as for beta tests), your WiFi Pineapple is fine. Often browser plugins or viruses (yes, viruses, especially adware) will load extra resources on every page that is loaded. If these resources fail to load or have errors, it will break the flow of JavaScript that our webinterface uses. This will cause our code to throw errors and therefore look like it is an issue on the Pineapple's end. If it doesn't load, try a clean browser, no plugins loaded, no script blockers and JavaScript enabled. If this still fails, please scan your machine for any viruses. You'd be surprised how many people have had this issue because they caught some adware..

MicroSD Card Issues

• Installing infusions / copying files to the microSD card is slow.
    Because the microSD cards we supply with every WiFi Pineapple MKV are 2GB class 4 microSD cards, they are not the fastest. If you want more speed or stability, upgrade to any class 10 microSD.
  • Files / Infusions on the microSD card disappear upon reboot.
    Please note that the microSD cards we supply with the WiFi Pineapple MKV are 2GB class 4 microSD cards. They are not the fastest.
    If you shut down the WiFi Pineapple MKV while it is writing to the microSD card, files can get corrupted or disappear. We recommend purchasing a class 10 microSD card.
  • I have purchased a new microSD card. How do I use it?
    You will first need to format the microSD card.
    You can do this either using our webinterface (resources->USB->format SD card) or with any other machine. The WiFi Pineapple MKV will take fat and ext formatting (but prefers ext4).
  • My microSD card isn't recognized anymore:
    If your microSD card is not recognized anymore, it could have gotten corrupted. You will need to re-format the microSD card.
    You can do this either using our webinterface (resources->USB->format SD card) or with any other machine. The WiFi Pineapple MKV will take fat and ext formatting (but prefers ext4).

Power / Battery Issues

• What power can I feed my WiFi Pineapple MKV?
    The WiFi Pineapple MKV will take anything between 5V and 12V. Please note however that it is happiest (if under load, external devices etc) if it has 9-12 Watts of power. This means the following three power configurations are advisable: 9V 1A (9 Watts), 5V 2A (10 Watts), 12V 1A (12 Watts).
  • My battery is not charging.
    If you have connected your battery to the charger and it does not charge (give it a few hours, the different batteries can take from 7-15h to charge), make sure the power switch is set to ON. The batteries require this - otherwise they will not charge. If you have been doing this all along, please also verify you are using the exact power supply we shipped along with the battery. While they might seem like the same, they are not. For example, you cannot use the WiFi Pineapple MKV PSU to charge your batteries. If you are still having issues after all of this, please contact shop@hak5.org for a replacement.

Other General Questions

• When I power on my WiFi Pineapple MKV nothing happens. No lights visible at all!
    This can happen for two reasons. The first and more likely being a defective PSU. Try powering it over another 5-12V PSU. If this does not fix the issue, your device is dead. This usually happens when you fry it by using the wrong powersupply. Either way, contact shop@hak5.org to see if you are eligible for a replacement PSU / WiFi Pineapple MKV.
  • When I power on my WiFi Pineapple MKV I only the green light is on and it doesn't boot!
    If this happens, check that your WiFi Pineapple MKV's PSU is not defective and supplying enough power to the device. If you are sure it's not the PSU, it is likely a brick. Don't worry though, you should be able to fix it by following the instructions here. See the "Unbricking a bricked MKV" section.

WiFi Pineapple Support

• What is the official way to get support?
    Please read our support page for a more detailed answer.
  • I want to return my product / it's defective.
    Please contact shop@hak5.org and make sure to quote your order number.
  • I emailed shop@hak5.org and haven't received an answer yet!
    Please be aware that we are a small team. It can take us a couple of days to catch up with all the emails we get. We will respond to any emails we receive.
  • Upvote 4