Building a Wireless Local Intranet without access to the Internet

GaryHost

I built a PirateBox last year and I want to take the concept and expand it.

I'm talking about a wireless network that has no access to the internet, but has local sites(wiki pages, blogs, chat rooms, filesharing) and people can communicate over it. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to complete this project to my desired end right now, but that's not going to stop me from getting started. My idea is to deploy this in my college campus. I'm not transferring into a university for at least another year; this would be something fun to work on and keep my head focused on what I love to do.

I'll start simple: a basic form of filesharing, a way to chat, and of course an imageboard. I'm thinking I'll take an old computer and turn it into a dedicated webserver(linux?) and connect it to a router. I'd love to find a cheap, yet fast, router that can run dd-wrt or openwrt. Ideally, I want to make the project easily expandable. Where all I need is to add more, better equipment and be able to handle more users without much lag.

I know Darren was speaking about projects like this in a talk he did at some hackerspace(Hak5 1426.3), yet I've found little on the web on it. I probably don't know what I'm looking for.

I'd love any input and help from the hak5 community. Thanks in advance!

Edit: They're called Mesh Networks

Edited by GaryHost