Whats the Official Support Channel for Pineapple Purchases ?

english_gent

As a newbie to this forum (although been in IT for over 20 yrs) I would like to ask the obvious question, how are customers of Hak5 supposed to get support for the Pineapple product. I have seen the administrator replies here and also that of Darren so I know the Hak5 team are actively reading these posts, but unless I am missing something I don't see an official support methodology (if there is one).

I do have a very specific question / problem I would like answering and cannot seem to get the attention of the gentlemen who support the Hak5 MkV Pineapple.

If the support is through this forum I understand but I don't know how to raise an issue with the team that isn't being answered successfully by my fellow forum members or others who contribute.

Thanks in advance...

Well, the MKV, just like about any other major product offered up for sale by Hak5, are projects...works-in-progress...a community effort. I don't know to what extent "technical support" is being provided by the "shop@hak5.org" address, but it is probably for generic assistance with technical issues, and primarily for issues related to purchase and shipping, not advanced technical issues.

When you purchase one of these items, your support is going to generally come from the community (forums, IRC, wiki). Darren, Seb, Robin, etc, are all a part of this community and participate regularly, as well as the dozens of regulars who are module devs, active enthusiasts, etc, who are always willing to help out with knowledge and/or a quick answer, and all the others who may be able to provide answers, or at least work through the issue with you.

What I'm saying is that, when you buy an MKV, etc, you're not buying an HP/Dell/GE/etc product, where there's a dedicated support line to call and get service, trouble tickets, etc. These are "community-based" products for lack of a better word, and your support is going to primarily come from the community.

If you're having a problem, and there's an answer, it's best addressed out here so others who may have the same issue can also find the answer at a later time, or help solve it, and we wind up with a great online resource for all to use.

While an email to hak5 *may* yield results, I believe you're going to get much better results out here in the forums if it's regarding a technical or function issue.

Have you tried IRC? Many of the folks here also participate in a dedicated IRC channel. Check Seb's signature for the server and chans.

Lastly, it may be a good idea to post a link to the thread where you've previously posted this issue you're having trouble with, maybe rekindle some interest and draw some attention to it. You did post the issue to the forums at some point....? :)

Regardless what this is , a project or business. Based on my experience, they have pretty non-existent "support" email/telephone.

I have also called them few times during normal business hours with no one picks the phone, just a voicemail telling me their business hour :rolleyes:... left a message, never got a call back. Emailed few times over a span of a month, didn't receive one single reply. Just last week I ordered a Ducky on the 15th, 5 days later the status page still shows "processing", called and no one picked up, emailed and no one replied.

To me the bottom line is that they offer interesting and unique products that fill the niche needs. Not so great quality control, sub par shopping experience, and don't expect any support, if you get any, treat it as bonus.

Edited by shinew

It depends on the type of support you are looking for. If you received a dead device, emailing the shop is the proper action.

If you are looking for how to use the pineapple or odd issues, these forums, irc, and the pineapple wiki have a lot of information.

If you find a bug, there is a submission page and bug tracker https://wifipineapple.com/index.php?portal&bugs

Don't make bug reports like "it's not working" or "i forgot my password". There is a difference between a bug and user error ;).

Regardless what this is , a project or business. Based on my experience, they have pretty non-existent "support" email/telephone.

I have also called them few times during normal business hours with no one picks the phone, just a voicemail telling me their business hour :rolleyes:... left a message, never got a call back. Emailed few times over a span of a month, didn't receive one single reply. Just last week I ordered a Ducky on the 15th, 5 days later the status page still shows "processing", called and no one picked up, emailed and no one replied.

To me the bottom line is that they offer interesting and unique products that fill the niche needs. Not so great quality control, sub par shopping experience, and don't expect any support, if you get any, treat it as bonus.

183-center_for_ants.jpg

As a newbie to this forum (although been in IT for over 20 yrs) I would like to ask the obvious question, how are customers of Hak5 supposed to get support for the Pineapple product. I have seen the administrator replies here and also that of Darren so I know the Hak5 team are actively reading these posts, but unless I am missing something I don't see an official support methodology (if there is one).

I do have a very specific question / problem I would like answering and cannot seem to get the attention of the gentlemen who support the Hak5 MkV Pineapple.

If the support is through this forum I understand but I don't know how to raise an issue with the team that isn't being answered successfully by my fellow forum members or others who contribute.

Thanks in advance...

english_gent,

Just what is this specific question / problem you are referring to? If you believe Darren spends his days just answering question in these forums you're in for a bit of a let down. It may be that we know the answer but haven't bothered to respond because it's been asked and answered... Limited time, limited patience. I'm not saying this is definitely one of those occasions but as hfam suggested tell us what you're talking about and maybe that will rekindle something.

hfam,

I was never any good with Pictionary but even I can see he's telling you to pucker up and kiss his ass... :) Thousands of happy pineapple customers but he can't seem to find any satisfaction. That's rough. No seriously, I might shed a real tear.

Thanks to everyone who replied thus far and the amusing picture of someone wanting to do unspeakable things to a donkey !

Yes I realize this is not like buying a Dell / HP / IBM product - but there still has to be a way of getting help from the manufacturer, not just the users.

No I haven't tried IRC that will be my next avenue !

Yes I did post the question in the forum to which I got very little response. I will close it and re-post with a much more direct title.

No, I was not expecting Darren to spend his day answering questions

No, I haven't posted a bug yet as I am not sure if this is a 'bug' or a 'feature' !

Thanks everyone, I will re-post the question and hope a forum member or ever a Hak5 employee answer it.

Thanks to everyone who replied thus far and the amusing picture of someone wanting to do unspeakable things to a donkey ! Yes I realize this is not like buying a Dell / HP / IBM product - but there still has to be a way of getting help from the manufacturer, not just the users. No I haven't tried IRC that will be my next avenue ! Yes I did post the question in the forum to which I got very little response. I will close it and re-post with a much more direct title. No, I was not expecting Darren to spend his day answering questions No, I haven't posted a bug yet as I am not sure if this is a 'bug' or a 'feature' ! Thanks everyone, I will re-post the question and hope a forum member or ever a Hak5 employee answer it.

Which question?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread... but this is related to support...

On top of page 2 in the little WiFi Pineapple booklet that came in the box it mentions registering your product (WiFi Pineapple serial number) at www.wifipineapple.com before you can use WiFi Pineapple techincal support.

I have had a good look around www.wifipineapple.com and cannot find anywhere I can register my newly arrived WiFi Pineapple.

Can anyone reading this thread point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Lunokhod.

Right, let's keep things on topic here.

First of all, please read our support website for more details.

Secondly, if you have been emailing shop@hak5.org this month / just before christmas, there is a good chance it is in a long backlog of emails. The shop has been busy processing as many orders as possible and replying to as many emails as possible. But going to CES and Shmoocon, back to back, really does make it difficult to keep up to date on replying to emails. I can guarantee you that Sara is going to get through every email / forward to to the right people.

Thirdly, people upset about Darren, myself or someone else official to answer on these forums, don't worry. We will reply to most / to what we can. But please remember that we too have been at CES and Shmoocon. Darren has a busy schedule already and I have been working on the new Betas / working on improvements for the next firmware from the feedback we got. On top of all that, we have a large backlog of emails, private messages, bug reports / comments, beta feedback, and forum posts to attend to.

I hope this clears a few things up.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Well said seb.

Community based support is probably the best few words that can describe any product that comes from the hakshop.

They are only probably 15-25 people really involved on any project that the hakshop sells, they don't have 100,000, 10,00 or even 1000.

I bought my pineapple because it seems like a way that I can give back to hak5, their expertise is profound with still enough laughter and smiles to make us coming back for more.

Thank you Hak5

I bought my pineapple because it seems like a way that I can give back to hak5, their expertise is profound with still enough laughter and smiles to make us coming back for more.

Thank you Hak5

I give back by watching and clicking on all the ads in their videos.

LULZ! You must be new here. I have no idea why you would post a badly drawn picture of yourself about to felch a beast of burden, but I won't judge, we take all kinds here.

Welcome to the forums.

Ah, so that's what you see. I guess it's too subtle for you and some other fanboys to understand, well that's ok...

Anyway, the point is that as a seller, the hakshop does have communication and sometimes quality control issues, those are facts that some others and myself have experienced. And it's good for everyone if they recognize it and improve upon it. To only say how great they are, then ignore and diminish any real issues others have brought up here is just blind fanboyism.

That of course doesn't meant that hak5 makes bad product, in fact it's the Pineapple V that drew me to the hakshop in the first place and I've enjoyed using it very much so far.

Thanks everyone - so as I assumed its the community and if you are lucky when Seb and the other guys get a chance to get on the board when they are not busy with something else, cool.

Closing this thread...

No, not if you are lucky. We'll get to it with time. Remember, it's a tiny team.