Are Windows 8.1 Defender and Firewall enough security?

dusf

Hi

I use Ubuntu and Debian most of the time, but for when I am forced to use Windows 8.1...

Windows defender has been revamped for Windows 8 so it apparently does much more than Microsoft Security Essentials does on previous versions of windows but is it enough security?

Is the Windows firewall enough security? I am behind stuck behind a Netopia 2247 until I upgrade in the near future, and due to a connection issue I have with a remote server at the moment its firewall is set to off.

If either Defender or the stock Windows firewall are insufficient, is it worth paying for anti-malware, anti-virus, and firewall software to replace them or are any of the free solutions adequate? Please recommend specific software if necessary.

Hi

I use Ubuntu and Debian most of the time, but for when I am forced to use Windows 8.1...

Windows defender has been revamped for Windows 8 so it apparently does much more than Microsoft Security Essentials does on previous versions of windows but is it enough security?

Is the Windows firewall enough security? I am behind stuck behind a Netopia 2247 until I upgrade in the near future, and due to a connection issue I have with a remote server at the moment its firewall is set to off.

If either Defender or the stock Windows firewall are insufficient, is it worth paying for anti-malware, anti-virus, and firewall software to replace them or are any of the free solutions adequate? Please recommend specific software if necessary.

firewall should be as secure as you make it. you tell it to block ports, it blocks ports. you tell it to open ports, it opens ports. you can get the fanciest most expensive anti-malware/spyware/firewall/cleaners/blockers/stoppers/watchers/notifiers/alerters/updaters/ and backer-uppers. sure some of the mcaffee's and symantec's and kaspersky's and notron's and so on might have a couple of neat features, and hey, who doesnt love the constant fuckin irritating popups and reminders and expiration renewal popups? those are great fun. the point is is that dont trust some scam antivirus suite thatcosts 100 bucks every year to keep you safe from the SCARY INTERWEBS. those fuckin things are likely the biggest and baddest backdoor spyware, intrustion trojan malwares. they dont even have to try, people actually go to them and pay for it and when the app says" DANGER DANGER DANGER out of date please update" millions of people got the credit card ready.

sorry for the arcazm im a little buzzed lol. the best thing you can do is watch what your system is doing. know which programs are talking to which ports and what theyre saying and who theyre saying it to. thats why many people love the open source, if youre super paranoid you can look through the code and see what an app or program will do when its installed before you ever even compile it and run it. if theres something that you dont like, yuo can change it. not saying that everyone is going to become overnight coders, but at least start with knowing what is exaclty installed in your system and where. take a peek occasionlly at your background processes and programs and see whats happening.if you want to be really secure you never connect to the internet then the cyber monters kill you. it really depends on what you mean by secure, or safer or more protected also. i mean who really gives a shit if youve got a zombie machine with backdoors that and that lives on a botnet and sends spam all day to your freinds, doesnt google , Microsoft, yahoo, your mobile phone carrier, and just about everything else already do that at the same time people are willingly putting as much personal information about themselves and everyone they know on their social media sites and tweet. i would be pretty pissed if facebook had been around years ago when i was growing up and my parents had uploaded videos pictures and information about birthdays schools i went to my name where i grew up places ive been etc. alot of these facebook kids are going to become adults and mayby not want their whole entitre life avialable online.

ok done rranting time for beers