Blacklist for wifi MAC addresses doesnt seem to work

english_gent

I have the latest firmware installed to a MkV and am running Karma MK5 together with TCPDUMP 1.3

I also have a MAC laptop that I use as my main machine and I dont ever want that connecting to the Pineapple so I added the MAC address of the Wireless card into the Pineapple GUI but I still seem to get connected to the "fake SSID's" given out by the Pineapple which are in the 'remembered WIFI list'. I have confirmed that when connected to one of these SSID's my laptop DNS is set to the IP's that I would expect when routed through the Pineapple.

I see from a previous answer that the Blacklists are stored in RAM so we would then have to add them every time and that in the future this will change, great, BUT, even when I try and add either a MAC address for my personal laptop (which I never want to connect through the pineapple) or a SSID that I want excluded from Karma, I cannot seem to stop the Laptop (Mavericks 10.9) seeing the fake SSID's that I excluded in the blackist, it also connects to said fake SSID without the lock symbol (so I know its not the real one !).

Please help because currently this means when Karma is turned on I cannot use any personal WIFI device without it going through the Pineapple.

Maybe I am doing it in the wrong order, ie do I blacklist them before I start karma or afterwards ? Neither seems to work but has anyone else get this to sucessfully blacklist a MAC or SSID ?

Thanks in advance

(post from Developer)

WiFi Pineapple Developer

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

At the moment they are kept in RAM, not flash. Our next iteration of karma actually has a lot more when it comes to usability and versatility.

Stay tuned.

Edited by english_gent

I have the following in my bootscript which prevents my other devices to connect to the MKV:

# Start Karma
hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_enable >/dev/null 2>&1 &
sleep 2
# Add own MAC addresses
hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_add_black_mac 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX > /dev/null
hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_add_black_mac 01:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX > /dev/null

(post from Developer)

WiFi Pineapple Developer

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

At the moment they are kept in RAM, not flash. Our next iteration of karma actually has a lot more when it comes to usability and versatility.

Stay tuned.

Looking forward to that!

Do you mean in the rc.local file in /etc ? Just checking before I screw things up :-)

I did try that - in case I was right and it didnt stop me from connecting to the 'fake SSID" - I checked that Karma was not enabled to startup on boot in the GUI nor running when I made the change to /etc/rc.local so I know that the command to start the program worked but the MAC address blacklist didnt seem to take effect.

Also, would the syntax to exclude a SSID be

hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_add_black_ssid 01:SSID-NAME > /dev/null

Thanks

I have the following in my bootscript which prevents my other devices to connect to the MKV:

# Start Karma
hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_enable >/dev/null 2>&1 &
sleep 2
# Add own MAC addresses
hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_add_black_mac 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX > /dev/null
hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_add_black_mac 01:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX > /dev/null

Looking forward to that!

Edited by english_gent

Do you mean in the rc.local file in /etc ? Just checking before I screw things up :-)

I guess that would work. I have put this in a script that is called from a specific bootmode (from the GUI: configuration -> Bootmodes) I don't want to start Karma all the time

Also, would the syntax to exclude a SSID be

hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_add_black_ssid 01:SSID-NAME > /dev/null

No, that won't work. Just type 'hostapd_cli -h' in a SSH session to see the available options.