linux...bsd

CaveMan

Ok i know im going to get uber flamed because of this, so i will try to ask the question in a reasnable way.

What are the MAIN differances between linux and BSD?

I did try google and it came up with billions of pages of long things explaining everything in detail

Can you not post if your only posting to flame me

Thankyou

http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants.../bsd4linux1.php

This is probally the best argument about the subject. A long term linux using friend of mine put it like this:

"FreeBSD just works, no issues, no fucking about, it does exactly what you ask it to."

The ports system in FreeBSD is truely excelent in my opinion, makes everything a lot more hassle free.

Linux isn't exacly rushed, some of the code in it no dought is (in fact YaST in SuSE 10.1 gave many many people big head aces). THe over all security plan for Linux is brilliant (it's basicly the same as BSD), one of the most noticable diffrances are the licencs it's released under. Linux is released under the GNU licens (Remember, GNU is not Unix ;)) and BSD is released under the BSD licence.

The primary diffrent between the two licences is that if you take code from any program released under the GNU (or is that GPL?) licence. You are also supposed to provide the code for that program (IIRC) and with the BSD licence you can take any code you want put it in your program, and then not nesseiserily have to give away the source for your software (Windows 2k IP stake any one? ;)).

I'm not a coder, I don't give a crap about source code as I'll never be siting down to re-code things. Software is one of the few areas where I really don't care about the politics, no matter how fashionable the hippy ideal of open everything is. I just want something that will do its job, and do it well. *BSD does that for me.

Just holding that thought right there. I was listening to a podcast, and they where talking about Googles new code search, and that as coders they want to avoid it like the plauge becasue if they read some one elses copywrited code, the person who owns that copywrite code ask the company that the guy who looked at his code for the compleate source code to proove that they hadn't infringed on his copywrite.

Now couldn't any one who has writen code and released it under the GNU licens, and that has evidence that the source code for there program was downloaded by some one at a company do the exact same thing?

(obviusly this is off topic, that is, my posts probably need klilling befor they get out of control lol)

I’d say the main difference is the kernel....

Other than that there are a few minor changes in the file system/partitioning/libs and that sort of thing.

I’d have to say the main reason for the whole Linux vs BSD thing is simply due to the fact that Linux got big and easy, whereas BSD is still relatively small and lacks a lot of the GUI/configuration nonsense that tends to slow down Linux systems.

But all in all I haven’t notice much difference in the use of them (not that I have used BSD as much as I have Linux).

LOL, where does UNIX come into all of this?

Unix is a brand name and also has a different kernel and proprietary software.

LOL, where does UNIX come into all of this?

Unix is a brand name and also has a different kernel and proprietary software.

I know what UNIX is, I just wanted a funny one liner for it. UNIX is more then a brand name, if you haven’t experienced AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and a hand full of others, you are missing out on a great thing.

I know what UNIX is, I just wanted a funny one liner for it. UNIX is more then a brand name, if you haven’t experienced AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and a hand full of others, you are missing out on a great thing.

I'm curious as to know which versions of the Unix OS are you're favorite. As well as those of anyone else here who has worked with any of them. True unix systems, not unix-like.

As a coder I've had to deal with the user-side of AIX, IRIX, HP-UX, Solaris, various BSDs and Linux.

The only one that I became sufficiently familiar with to render any sensible judgement would be Linux. The biggest issues I had with the other *IXes were silly things like what type of shell would be on it. And a quick install could've fixed that.

No, the quality of a UNIX system lies in the strength of the administration tools, and the way in which it deals with serious hardware.

My first Unix O/S was Solaris. It was the first time I was in front of a term. A collegue gave me few commands...especially the "man" command to RTFM :D

During few months, it was a pain in the ass, especially when you can't really test everyhing you want as you only have production machines.

The thing that stands out for me when using UNIX, is how well it utilises the hardware, take Solaris for example, running on a server with 72 UltraSPARC processors and over 1TB of memory, everything works smoothly and it’s relatively straightforward to code for. IBM, SGI and HP do similar products with their own flavour of UNIX.

UNIX comes into its own if your dealing with mission critical tasks and when you have to deal with huge amounts of memory and processing power, it also makes the best operating system for CAE (computer-aided engineering).