Using the ethernet port for internet

notreallythere

Hello,

I just received my Mark 5.

For now, I've been trying to set up internet on it.

I've seen people get internet through only through tethering via android, ethernet tethering (Darren explained it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f94FZSJs4ms) or WiFi client (which doesn't work for me as of now).

Anyhow, I was wondering if it was possible to just hook up the ethernet port to my internet box and get internet like that?

It would be really better that tethering through the ethernet port using the laptop.

I modified /etc/config/network from:

config interface wan
option ifname wlan0
option proto dhcp
To this:
config interface wan
option ifname eth0
option proto dhcp
But the router refuse the allocated IP:
01:02:05 Pineapple daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[1823]: DHCPREQUEST(br-lan) 192.168.0.12 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
01:02:05 Pineapple daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[1823]: DHCPNAK(br-lan) 192.168.0.12 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx wrong network

Cheers,

notreallythere

• 1 month later...

Aren't the dhcp servers fighting at that point? In what you posted above you still have the protocol set to dhcp and your router has that too. Shouldn't the one in the pineapple be static? I know there's another thread or two about this out there and how to do it properly. I've never attempted directed connect with the Mark 5 as Client Mode has always worked, but I can try and let you know. Also, we could just try to solve your Client Mode issue... What are you seeing there?

I asked this question (after your original post).

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/31607-plugging-a-mk-v-into-a-dhcp-equipped-lan/

I was able to modify the Wifi Pineapple eth0 interface settings to get an IP address from an existing DHCP server on my Ethernet based network.

You also need to disable the internal DHCP server "dnsmasq" (which is also a DNS forwarder), you don't want two arguing DHCP servers on one network.

This sort of worked and I was able to access the WiFi Pineapple from computers on my lan, the default route worked fine and I could download infusions, etc.

You need to be aware that any infusion or external scripting that requires the WiFi Pineapple to be found at 172.16.42.1 will NOT work when it gets assigned a different IP address by your DHCP server. Things like DNS spoofing might not work if dnsmasq is turned off and DNS requests bypass the WiFi Pineapple... not sure, just speculating.

Clients that connect to your WiFi Pineapple would then get IP addresses from your networks DHCP server. Once again if an infusion expects the connected clients to be in a certain IP address range, things might not work as expected.

In the end I reverted back to the original factory settings, too much weird stuff was happening.

Edited by lunokhod

You are right I should have worded this differently. Basically its just being able to use the ethernet port as a Client Mode Source.

I was surprised that when selecting the Client Mode that the ethernet port was not available as an option. If you could use the second wifi port or a 3G USB dongle I don't understand why the ethernet port would not also be an option.

Make sense ?

Ohh but it does make sense... But, what I think you are talking about is something different than he is asking. You can use Internet Connection Sharing to the eth0 port. That would be:

wifi--laptop--laptop eth--Pineapple eth--br-lan(internally)--Pineapple AP users (wlan0)

This is usually accomplished by using the script that is available... wp5.sh or something like that. I don't use it so I don't remember exactly if that's it.

What notreallythere wants to do is just plug his pineapple directly into his home router. (On the Mark 4 that was the easiest way to get internet to your pineapple to get first updates.) It's more complicated on the Mark 5 because it does not have the second eth port like the Mark 4 had. It only has the one eth0 port dedicated to 172.16.42.42. The Mark 4 used to have a second one that would pull an IP from a DHCP server and bring it into the bridge.

Honestly I just haven't messed around with trying to do this because my Client Mode works. Also, I've been waiting on some hardware Darren mentioned would eventually be available for the Mark 5. I guess they are looking into selling a USB to eht adapter for the Mark 5 that would allow what notreallythere wants to do...

What notreallythere wants to do is just plug his pineapple directly into his home router. (On the Mark 4 that was the easiest way to get internet to your pineapple to get first updates.) It's more complicated on the Mark 5 because it does not have the second eth port like the Mark 4 had. It only has the one eth0 port dedicated to 172.16.42.42. The Mark 4 used to have a second one that would pull an IP from a DHCP server and bring it into the bridge.

Honestly I just haven't messed around with trying to do this because my Client Mode works. Also, I've been waiting on some hardware Darren mentioned would eventually be available for the Mark 5. I guess they are looking into selling a USB to eht adapter for the Mark 5 that would allow what notreallythere wants to do...

I think a USB-Ethernet adapter would be a very elegant way to allow the WiFi Pineapple to connect into an existing internet "equipped" network. Android tether, WiFi Client and USB 3G being the other ways.

Can't wait to hear more about this from the WiFi Pineapple team!