Karma and WPA2?

lallous

Hello,

I just got the Mark 5. I noticed that Karma, once enabled will expose an access point with open authentication.

Since I want to learn and experiment in a closed environment, I don't want people to connect to my open network.

How can I configure Karma to use WPA or WPA2?

Thanks,

Elias

I leave karma off and just test using wlan0 secured. There's not much to test with karma anyway.

Something else that I do is have wlan1 connect to my isolated guest network so I really don't care who connects to karma while I'm messing around with it.

Karma can't spoof WPA/WPA2 protected networks, only open networks.

If you wish to test Karma, simply test it without ICS and you can try to get your devices to connect without exposing anything like your internet connection.

If you wish to test other features of the pineapple, disable Karma and put a password on the AP.

This way you can test Karma in isolation without exposing any of your network and you can also test other features in a secure fashion. After that just combine them and take it out in the wild.

Scott.

Hello,

Thank you all for your answers.

@Scott: your articles were very useful by the way. Thanks.

Guys, shortly, what is Karma exactly (excuse my beginner question)?

Thanks,

Elias

Thanks, I'm glad they helped.

A basic explanation of Karma: A wifi device walks around shouting out for networks it remembers to try and find them, these are called beacon frames. Normally your device says "Hey, is Starbuck's Wifi here?" and the AP will say "No, I'm Costa Coffe Wifi". What Karma does is respond with "Yes, of course, I'm Starbuck's Wifi, please connect to me" and off your device goes connecting to the access point.