How to gain control over my network connections?

zeroasterix

Okay, here is a real simple snag that has got me scouring forums, and scanning man files:

I am trying to control the default network connection in linux, and I am not talking about which network to connect to... that is simple change auto connect setting. Let me give two examples.

I am running Linux Mint 16 on one box, and in order to set up internet connection sharing with say the pineappleV I would connect to the internet over wifi (wlan0) and then connect to the pineapple over ethernet cable (eth0) As soon as I connect anything to eth0 it chooses that as the default connection over wlan0. So when I run the wp5.sh script it gives me the following error: SIOCDELRT: No such process & SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable. And this carries over to my browser. I remind you I am still connected to internet via wlan0 and as soon as it sees something plugged in to eth0 is says that is my default connection and pinging to the outside fails.

My research has led me to /etc/network/interfaces I thought there might be some auto hotplugging but no avail all I have in there is auto lo and iface lo inet loopback, and I am currently digesting man page for interfaces... but I haven't come up with anything so far....

Here is a second scenario: Lets say we have a device (pineapple or laptop running kali) posted on the outskirts of our own wireless network. We have connected to it remotely over wlan0 and it then connects to another wireless network on wlan1. When I issue a command it's default network interface is wlan0 and comes back down the pipe, when I really want it to interact with connections on wlan1 but still remain connected with me via wlan0.

So, in both examples I am trying to gain some control over the default interface and suspect it's something obvious I just can't quite figure out. Any suggestions or topics of investigation would be greatly appreciated!