Trouble with my WiFi Pineapple

aolvera

Hello everyone,

I just got a Pineapple Mark V, I did the initial flash install everything was going great had the three lights flashing amber,blue, and red. Played with it a little bit then powered it off put it away, then later on got a little more antsy to play with it a little more. This time I noticed that the red light would turn on at boot up it scanned the sd card for the updates in guessing blue and amber lights where flashing, but when that was done only the blue and amber light stayed on I got no response from the red light........ powered it off turn it on again same thing happened. Unplugged it boot it up again this time in the factory reset with the DIP switches up,down,down,up,up with that I get all three flashing lights.... So is there any way to fix this? Did I brick the pineapple when I first powered it off? How do I turn it off then? Do I have to keep it on even though I would of end it up taking the pineapple with me this morning? Do I have to get an exchange or is there something I can do can someone help me please I just got this literally last night and now cant even log into my pineapple. It says it takes too long to load. But if I log onto the wired interface I can access the pineapple but not the infusion list.. Please if I can get help id really appreciate it as I didn't even get to play with the Pineapple. I am running it on a Lenovo Thinkpad T-420 running Linux Os with Backtrack 5r3.

Ok man you're all over the map with that post.... Couple questions for you:

1. When the dip switches are back in their normal configuration what light come on when you power up?

2. Assuming you'e done number 1 above, is the pineapple broadcasting an Access Point name something like PineappleX_XXXX where the Xs are the last part of your pineapples wlan0 MAC address?

3. Assuming you've done 1 and 2 is working, or you alternately go in via wired mode, and can access the Pineapples Management page, Are you going to the Network Tile and going to the Client Mode tab and connecting to your home access point with wlan1?

aolvera,

I just got my pineapple yesterday too so you're not alone in suffering teething problems!

While I went through the First Boot Setup stage just fine the Pineapple shows as having limited connectivity. Does anyone know if this is a problem? If so, how to fix it?

Edited by factgasm

Hey thesugarat,

When I return to DIP switches back I get the red and green, im going with green as power and red for the sd card, it starts to boot up then all I get is just amber and blue flashing, im thinkink its doing the update and all that, after 10-15 minutes I still do not get that red light its just blue and amber.

My pineapple does show an AP it Shows up as Pineapple_E0**

I go to the network tile I go to log onto my networks SSID the Pineapple spins, and spins, never connecting. wlano is up and wlan1 is disabled. I enable it to see if that helps but I don't see it.

So will I have to be accessing my pineapple threw the wired interface to do all the stuff I need to do its just ive seen videos and everyone connects threw the AP that the pineapple provides.

aolvera,

Could I direct you to page 18 of the glossy pamphlet that came with the Pineapple?

Earlier today I was playing with a pineapple and got myself tied up in knots. But enough about my sex life.

Follow the "Resetting System Defaults" section on page 18. Also, can I direct you to B. A. Hansen's excellent Youtube videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXa5j6Op1aZIg8mGajiYncg?feature=watch

Edited by factgasm

factgasm,

I have tried it. I done both the up,down,down,up,up and up,up,up,up,down but that red light just doesn't want to turn on. I can get it to light up at start but that's it after the pineapple boots up reads the sd the red light doesn't come on at all. But if I boot it with up,down,down,up,up all the lights work find and I get all three lights flashing as son as I reset my password and it restarts I flip the DIP switches back to normal and I just get the blue and amber lights all over again no red. :'( . I will try it again and hope it works ill follow the videos and see what happens I will update this later on tonight with feedback. I do appreciate all this help I just hope something will work.

Edited by aolvera

aolvera,

His suggestion to review the documentation again is a good one. Set the switches to normal... Boot up the pineapple. If you don't see the red led come on that's because it's not supposed to unless your wlan1 has automatically connected to an AP because you set it up in the Client Mode tab... If you can connect to the Access point that the pineapple is broadcasting and get to the Management page you are good to go... What version of the firmware are you on?

thesugarat,

Ok let me try and wrap my head around this........ So if I connect to the AP that the pineapple is broadcasting and I can log onto it its ok... I have to activate my wlan1 and connect the pineapple to a/my network. So then while in the management page I can then turn on the wlan1 which would activate that red light right? I say the 1.0.4.

alright guys so i was able to get my pineapple to broadcast a signal..... then i went to the network tile went to client mode tried to connect to my works network it says wlan0 enabled and wlan1 disabled... i enable wlan1 and it automatically disables..... i dont see the pineapple wifi AP. and now all i have is a amber light not even the blue light turns on.....

So reboot. If the wireless AP comes back up connect to it. SSH in to the pineapple and post here the contents of your /etc/config/wireless file. You might be suffering from a radio swap issue or just overall incorrect settings.

There should still be a broadcasted AP from the pineapple. Log onto that and go to the management page and complete the initial setup. Then get your wireless info for posting. We can then ensure your radios are setup correctly.

guys i really appreciate the help but i think i got a bad pineapple i can connect to it but cant enable my wlan1 the AP disappears after i try to connect to a network as a client in network tile autossh dont enable i connect to pineapple AP it wont get ip but if i connect to wired i get ip cant share the internet connection..... well i guess this ones going back.

Why are you using autossh? So you're able to log on to the pineapples AP but you can't get into the management page? I hate to disagree with you but I'm not convinced its a faulty pineapple. I think it just needs to be configured correctly. And sending it back and getting a new one might work until something changes on your config again. Best to exhaust all your options in trying to fix the one you have before sending it back but that's completely up to you. There is an IRC chat room you can go to for real time help and lots of folks willing to help.

Ok, my turn to ask a noobie question about the Wifi Pineapple Mark V.

I only got my pineapple two days ago. It has been flashed correctly according to the out-of-the-box instructions.

While I'm able to boot and get into the pineapple's management console just great I have two problems:

1. If I go to the Pineapple Bar tile and click the circular refresh arrows after about 10 or so seconds and then I get a message saying "Error connecting".
  2. If I click into the Pineapple Bar page itself and click on Pineapple Bar: Available I get a message saying "Error connecting. Please check your internet connection!"

My set up is as follows:

• Windows 8.0 with Mozilla Firefox.
  • Pineapple Firmware 1.0.0.
  • My ethernet and wifi connections are both set up such that the 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' properties are set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: I was just watching Darren's Pineapple University video 'Connect to a nearby AP in Client Mode' and suddenly the problem I've been incurring fixed itself. Yeah!

I had assumed that having configured my Ethernet and Wifi Connections that my Pineapple would connect to the net via my PC's wifi, but that didn't happen, so the Pineapple is now directly connected to the net via my wifi AP instead. No biggie, but I'm not sure going forward this a long term solution.

Still in the interim I'm getting busy installing all those yummy infusions.

Edited by factgasm

You need to bring internet to the pineapple so that you can upgrade. You definitely need the newer firmware. Go to the Network Tile and to Client Mode and hook up to your home router AP. Once that's connected you'll be able to update online.