Making A Lan Party

Justin Ewing

There's tons of stuff on Google. Here's what I found:

http://www.lanparty.com/theguide/

Do you have any routers/switches etc? You will also need a dedicated server or two. 80 people will require a lot of planning. I've had some that are small around 10 or so and that was pretty easy. I would suggest starting small and work your way up. :)

You'll need a few gigabit switches and a fairly powerful server with a gigibit nic for the game server. Then build a router with gigabit nics again using something like m0n0wall. Chain it all together with about 6 miles of cat6. And lastly, get a group of compatant people together to help you set it all up.

Personally, i'd get some kinda sponsership/hardware loan thingy going, with proffesional backup. And make sure you have a room you can lock yourself in after the 600th stupid question.

I'd start out smaller to get your organisational skills up to snuff. Don't underestimate the task of organising something like this. It's easy to fuck this shit up completely, get a bad rap, and never have anybody over ever again.

Your main issue is probably going to be power. 80 people on gaming rigs that will pull around 500 Watt each, add a couple of servers and network devices... You do the math. Check out the breaker box (or whatever it's called in the US) to make sure you can get away with it.

I've been to a LAN Party where the power was decidedly shoddy, and my friends were mighty jealous of my UPS.

If you've never organised something similar before, then start off smaller. The only LANs I've ever done are 6 people or so (though I reckon I could do 10). There's a lot of things to consider, the website linux4eva gave is an awesome one.

The main issue is power, and keeping everything organised. LANs take a lot of consideration to scale up. The more people you have, the harder, but more importantit is, to keep things organised 8) .

With 80 people in attendance, I would expect you'd have to have a pretty kick-ass server. Other than that, what Wess said: Think long and hard about how you're going to set up your network. Don't skimp on the hardware. Remember that if 80 people are accessing your server at gigabit speeds, it helps when your server spits out data at 10gbit speeds. That means you need a switch that has ports for that, and of course that you need that port (those things COST!)...

I'd say try and be reasonable about it. Getting a ping of 1 basically means you've got an INSANE level of hardware around. Probably WAY outside your budget, for very little gain other than bragging rights.

Also, rather than going from 5 to 80, I'd try 10-15 and if that goes well 30, and grow like that. It should give you a chance to prepare, build up your hardware and learn how to correctly set it up.

If you're paying, sure I'll take 3.

Hrmm... From that link:

the 48 10/100/1000BASE-T ports can burst to Gigabit Ethernet line rate and share 12 Gbps of capacity (or 6 Gbps full-duplex)
To me that sounds a bit shitty for a gigabit switch. Could someone knowledgable perhaps clue me in on that one?

My HP ProCurve 2524 switch has 12 gbps switching fabric aswell, and it's got only 24 100MBit ports to deal with (plus 2 expansion slots that you can chuck a gigabit transceiver in)...