Top ten Linux crashes

VaKo

Believe it or not this is the first time i've ever seen a Linux machiene crash..........Damn you VaKo, you've shattered my faith in *nix systems :lol:

/me bows

I've nothing against *nix, but i'm just tired of people acting like its 100% bullet proof.

Believe it or not this is the first time i've ever seen a Linux machiene crash..........Damn you VaKo, you've shattered my faith in *nix systems :lol:

/me bows

I've nothing against *nix, but i'm just tired of people acting like its 100% bullet proof.

I know they're not bullet proof, nothing is bullet proof but I must say that it is quite interesting to see a *nix system crash.

Read some digg comments for anything with "linux", "microsoft" or "windows *" in the title, those people really need a reality check sometime damn soon. I've had more problems with Ubuntu in a month than I've had with XP in a year. But as you say, most people who actually know anything about *nix know that its not perfect, that it just excells in places windows won't by design. And it is interesting to see linux crash, its often more exotic than windows lol.

Read some digg comments for anything with "linux", "microsoft" or "windows *" in the title, those people really need a reality check sometime damn soon. I've had more problems with Ubuntu in a month than I've had with XP in a year. But as you say, most people who actually know anything about *nix know that its not perfect, that it just excells in places windows won't by design. And it is interesting to see linux crash, its often more exotic than windows lol.

Ooooh yeah, some of these people need to stop mindlessly talking crap because they've been mis-informed. See below:

"omfg linux is so kool its better than windows and cant be hacked and never crashes and windows sucks cuz bill gates is the devil and m$ sucks balls cuz linux rocks so much and im a uber-l1337 h4x0r cuz i use linux and u sux cuz u is on microshit pos os that cant do anythin and apple sux too cuz its jus crap"

I rest my case.

I think that there are extremes like in everything else.

under the right conditions everything fails

under the right conditions everything can be hacked

the thruth is that, if properly configured and with good hardware, it's very, very , very rare, to see a crash.

I bet that no one will have a windows server running por 11 months without rebooting them even once and still be 100% operable and fast as day 1, and linux can, first hand, one of my servers. (and not soo good configured one hehe, because i'm very lazy sometimes)

However i had crashes, mostly due to buggy drivers, heavy electro magnetic interference (because of one of my toys <GRIN>), or shitty hardware.

I had a Windows 2K3 box running perfectly for 5 months solid as a file and webserver with a public address, and a VPN connection for my mate in a different house (then I moved so it had to be turned off), and before that I had a XP box running as a server for 2 months solid before an OS change. And that included 2 partys and the mysterous appearance of a half empty can of beer in the case. If you know what your doing Windows does work for long periods of time. If your a complete numpty then of course it will die on you, whatever OS your running.

Iv had heaps of crash's under linux, at one stag it was even crashing when i tryed to shut the thing down. But i must say i havent had one under Ubuntu yet. All though i have had app's crash under Ubuntu like kopete and konquere, it seems to be just them two apps that crash all the time.

/me bows

I think we're all agreed to say there is no O/S which is 100% bullet proof. Every O/S will always have at least a few bugs. The hardware is also a kind of weakest link.

But still, I saw some SUN servers which were running when I started a job and were still running when my contract was completed 3 years later with no one shutdown. In this situation, we're close of the 100%.. :)

I think the comments on the link given say it better than i can....be bothered too! ;)

Nos. 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10 do not show any kind of crash. Those are normal messages. Note a couple of them are too blurry to read, so they might even be BSD or even OSX in diagnostics mode.

#1 looks like SVGAlib crashed, implying bad third-party software, but that's not what a kernel panic (linux itself crashing) looks like.

#3 again, looks like some third-party software crashed. Linux is doing exactly what it ought to, prompting to launch a recovery ("diagnostics") console

#7 isn't even Linux. That's what Windows looks like when it crashes, my friend.

As for those listed at the beginning of this comment...

#9 and #10 are perfectly normal. That's what DS Linux looks like after a successful boot, and #10 shows LILO saying it successfully loaded the kernel.

# 2, 4, 5, 6 are too blurry to read. They appear to be normal kernel messages during boot. I can't even confirm whether 5 is Linux.

#7 displays an inability to access the drive it's configured to access. Either bad configuration - which is user error - or hardware problems, which is not a problem. Either way, it does not show a single fatal error - the picture shows a successful boot.

The bonus crash image looks like some kid was trying to demo his software and it segfaulted. His fault (bad code), not a Linux crash.

As for the t-shirt... is this meant to be a joke, then?

Linux Kernek Panic