Slow throughput with wireless client mode

jjd

So... I haven't had a chance to to work with the pineapple to much the past week or so but I have noticed and posted something about it in the 1.0.1 thread.

Since 1.0.1 (I didnt test speed before that but general browsing seemed normal) I have had very poor throughput when using client mode wifi, like timing out just loading google. heres an example of a client pinging from the pineapple.

PING google.com (173.194.33.70): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=0 ttl=56 time=34.428 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=40.911 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=108.577 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=37.302 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=5 ttl=55 time=543.314 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=6 ttl=56 time=57.451 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 7
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=8 ttl=55 time=117.508 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=9 ttl=55 time=40.330 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 10
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=11 ttl=55 time=38.713 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=12 ttl=55 time=56.518 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=13 ttl=56 time=37.825 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=14 ttl=56 time=37.989 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 15
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=15 ttl=55 time=1005.011 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.33.70: icmp_seq=16 ttl=56 time=415.637 ms
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
17 packets transmitted, 14 packets received, 17.6% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 34.428/183.680/1005.011/273.600 ms

my pineapple was just restored and then I fully upgraded everything installed nothing else.

The pings seem somewhat misleading so I thought i would do a speed test just to compare but speedtest.net timed out long before completing a test. so instead I timed loading the speedtest.net homepage. On google chrome, timed with my wrist watch it takes about 110 seconds to load completely.

This is connected to my home wifi with wpa2 (no encryption has same results) signal quality is 70 of 70 & my home internet is 100Mbit.

anyone have any ideas or things I can try?

thanks in advance!

ps: before the speedtest timed out i was getting about 0.03 bits/s

I should also mention, when using ethernet ICS everything works fine and I get great speeds

Edited by jjd

I don't know if this will help.......

I used a wifi analyzer, after having similar problems.

There was quite a few AP's using channel 11, my would get so bad I couldn't even connect to the mark v after about 20 minutes.

Since then first thing I do after resetting/upgrade I go change wlan0 to channel 6 or 1.

That seems to have helped my problem.

I think using the mark v in client mode is no different than any other repeater, it's slower than the original AP, but shouldn't be as slow as what I was experiencing.

I don't know if that will help, but it worked for me.

Are you on the latest firmware? Although I'm pretty certain when I tested mine it was new. (still 1.0)

I was getting about 8-12mbps up and down testing with Speedtest.net. (50 Mbps connection)

I know that isn't much help, but at least you know it *can/should* work fine.

Are you on the latest firmware? Although I'm pretty certain when I tested mine it was new. (still 1.0)

I was getting about 8-12mbps up and down testing with Speedtest.net. (50 Mbps connection)

I know that isn't much help, but at least you know it *can/should* work fine.

I am currently on 1.0.4 with no other infusions installed.

I used a wifi analyzer, after having similar problems.

There was quite a few AP's using channel 11, my would get so bad I couldn't even connect to the mark v after about 20 minutes.

I looked into the channel idea as well and no go

any other ideas?

Same here. Speeds are much slower here.

I have an Alfa R36 coupled with AWUS036H that I use for internet and speeds are close to what my ISP gives me.

I have also tried my AWUS036H (set at 30dBM) with the pineapple to see if internet speeds would be different, but they remain slow.

Any help?

Okay, here in this screenshot you can see my setup. The Pineapple is on the front porch, in the travel bag, idle. I also have an Alfa plugged in. Wlan0 is an open AP on channel 11, and wlan1 is connected to my main router (Asus RT-AC66R) on channel 6, two rooms away with WPA2. I also have a secondary router (Netgear WNDR3700 w/DD-WRT) in the living room on channel 1, also WPA2.

I'm sitting in the living room with my laptop using the built in Intel wifi, connected to the Pineapple. The test I used is directly to my ISP in Chrome. I have a 50/10 connection, and this test will give those results every single time on each router. (provided the wireless connection to the router is good enough) I also tested with my phone, an LG G2 with an Alpha build AOSP KitKat rom. (having some wifi driver issues) and got 3mbps/2mbps.

I also connected the Pineapple to the secondary router, and redid the laptop and cell phone tests, both virtually the same.

wipispeed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I think I am having similar issues: everything works great when I am using eth0 for the wan but I get bad ping and throughput with wlan1 in client mode. My connection is 50Mbps and I am lucky when I get 200kbps through in client mode. The ping also goes very high as soon as there is some traffic and there is some packet loss when I ping the pineapple on wlan1.

I have tested the pineapple with a wire and I get very good bandwidth. I have also tested the WIFI I use on the client side and it gives me the expected bandwidth. I was thinking about interference so I have played with the channels on both WIFI but it did not help much. I also looked in the syslog but did not find any clue.

My setup is completely standard using the latest firmware (1.04). Anyway did you guys solve your problems with client mode? Any idea what I should try to better diagnose the problem?

Cheers,

Franck

Edited by franck

Hello,

I think I am having similar issues: everything works great when I am using eth0 for the wan but I get bad ping and throughput with wlan1 in client mode. My connection is 50Mbps and I am lucky when I get 200kbps through in client mode. The ping also goes very high as soon as there is some traffic and there is some packet loss when I ping the pineapple on wlan1.

I have tested the pineapple with a wire and I get very good bandwidth. I have also tested the WIFI I use on the client side and it gives me the expected bandwidth. I was thinking about interference so I have played with the channels on both WIFI but it did not help much. I also looked in the syslog but did not find any clue.

My setup is completely standard using the latest firmware (1.04). Anyway did you guys solve your problems with client mode? Any idea what I should try to better diagnose the problem?

Cheers,

Franck

Nope this sounds like the same issue I am having and try as I might I can't figure it out. With so few people reporting it I am honestly starting to wonder if it could be a hardware issue with a few devices (although I hope not).

I did notice Darren's speed in the last video I would be thrilled with even 7mbps! At least that would be useable, as is there's no way I could use the device in a real world test.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answers, I have been doing some tests to try to troubleshoot the problem.

The good thing is that it now works better for me but the bad thing is that I have no idea why!

To test the client mode I am using only one radio at the time in client mode and connecting my laptop connected via ethernet. Running a speedtest on the laptop shows me how much bandwidth I get on the client mode without any interferences to worry about.

I tested this with 3 different radios, the 2 internal radios from the pineapple and a TP-Link TL-WN722N USB dongle (which works perfectly out of the box on the pineapple). For the first couple of experiements I was getting very good bandwidth with the pinapple radio0 and the USB dongle (over 20-30Mbps) and very poor bandwidth with the pineapple radio1 (around 100kbps).

It looked like there was a problem with the pineapple radio1 so before reporting it I repeated the experiement in order to gather the exact numbers but that time it worked much better and I am now consistently getting around 10-12Mbps from radio1. I get less when I use radio0 as an access point instead of the ethernet port but it works, no more horrible pings.

To do these experiements I changed all the settings of the radios using the wifi manager infusion (which is very nice by the way). The only reson I can think of for the fix is that I have been shaking the settings of the radios back and forth...

At least if you have the same problem, I think it is a good idea to test the radios individually in order to eliminate as many variables as possible. I am now not able to reproduce the problem anymore.

I have not really investigated why radio1 gives me "only" 10-12Mbps where the other 2 radio can go over 30Mbps because 10Mbps is probably enough but that could be related to the original problem... I am not sure.

Cheers,

Franck

Edited by franck

Very interesting...

Today I started 'hand writing' some wireless profiles for a couple of spots around town.
I created 3 profiles and added them to dip switches.
I created one named 'wireleshome'

config wifi-device radio0
option type mac80211
option channel 11
option hwmode 11ng
option macaddr 00:13:37:00:00:00
option htmode HT20
list ht_capab SHORT-GI-20
list ht_capab SHORT-GI-40
list ht_capab RX-STBC1
list ht_capab DSSS_CCK-40
option country BO
option txpower 30
# REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
# option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
option device radio0
option network lan
option mode ap
option ssid attwifi
option encryption none

config wifi-device radio1
option type mac80211
option channel 11
option hwmode 11g
option macaddr 00:13:37:00:00:00
option country BO
option txpower 30
# REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
# option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
option device radio1
option network wan
option mode sta
option ssid ASUS
option key 12345678
option encryption psk2+ccmp

On bootup, I have the command on a dip switch line:

cp /sd/dip/wirelesshome /etc/config/wireless; uci commit wireless; wifi

I happened to notice that web pages came up a little quicker.
I did a speed test and Holy Cow!
10Mbps dl/8Mbps ul!!

For the first time since buying this, I am above 1Mbps

I have no idea why, it just seems that if you do everything with tiles like you're supposed to, the throughput is low.
I am a complete noob at this but I am glad to have stumbled on some sort of find.

Edited by yabasoya

If you look at my post above, I was normally getting 5/3mbps. I decided to give your way a shot simply to try and change the power output of my wlan0.

So I copied your setup, and used my own MAC, SSID, etc settings. Now I'm getting 14mbps down and 5mbps up. Much, much quicker!

But, my wlan0 is STILL at 18dBM. Have you actually gotten yours to go higher or lower? I have NEVER been able to change mine at all. I've tried several different ways, from a few different threads here.

On a stock setup, wlan0 is 18, wlan1 and wlan2 are both 27. With this setup (and anything I've ever tried) wlan0 is 18, wlan1 is actually controllable (I have it at 24) and wlan2 always maxes at 30, can't control it.

I'd given up on trying to change the output power, starting to think its impossible.

Update:

Okay, was playing around this evening, and left it on that setup. After awhile I started having a lot of issues I saw people talking about. Dropped connection (to wlan0), poor pings, timeout pings, the signal strength seemed to be very erratic. I couldn't even connect to the control page. wlan2 was still perfectly fine though. I even tried removing the wifi manger infusion, no change. So I reverted back to my original setup. Now everything seems to be fine again, I keep disconnecting and reconnecting, running speed tests, etc. So far no issues. I've even seen 17mbps down. Upload is kinda iffy, but mostly does 3-4mbps. Also I'm back to 18-27-27dBm. I haven't reinstalled the wifi manager yet.

I'm going to let my cell phone and laptop connected to it overnight, and see what its like in the morning.

Edited by Boosted240

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having same issue with my Mark V. If I use eth0 for internet, I get around 25mbps on wlan0 but if I use client mode and use wlan1 to connect to my home network [WPA2] the speed drops to 2mbps on wlan0.

Edited by sidd