stealing/viewing/using network data

convertwlan2eth0andback2wifi

Hi everybody

!!! 1 !!!!

i have the following setup (i attached a jpeg containing my entire network)

in this setup is a dreambox, this dreambox however was setup by a guy who knows how to deliver all the cable channels for a very low price through the internet

so thats why the dreambox needs to be connected to the internet besides the coax connection

so that means the dreambox receives information that it gets from the internet that is given to it via my laptop ( called the master laptop in my picture)

so i want to know what kind of information does the dreambox receive,

can i view this info or it sure would be nice to know what servers it communicates with etc.

because the guy that sold me the dreambox always is able to disable the service provided to my dreambox (eg if i dont pay)

!!! 2 !!!!

i have also the following question

ALL traffic, passwords, usernames, http(s) requests etc

that are trafficing over 192.168.1.24 to the internet must be captured

how do i set this up

at this moment the master laptop is just running windows sbs2003 with ICS&DHCP

but this is because i cannot get it to work properly in backtrack

so please help me

post-45738-0-78777100-1384913487_thumb.j

Hi everybody

!!! 1 !!!!

i have the following setup (i attached a jpeg containing my entire network)

in this setup is a dreambox, this dreambox however was setup by a guy who knows how to deliver all the cable channels for a very low price through the internet

so thats why the dreambox needs to be connected to the internet besides the coax connection

so that means the dreambox receives information that it gets from the internet that is given to it via my laptop ( called the master laptop in my picture)

so i want to know what kind of information does the dreambox receive,

can i view this info or it sure would be nice to know what servers it communicates with etc.

because the guy that sold me the dreambox always is able to disable the service provided to my dreambox (eg if i dont pay)

!!! 2 !!!!

i have also the following question

ALL traffic, passwords, usernames, http(s) requests etc

that are trafficing over 192.168.1.24 to the internet must be captured

how do i set this up

at this moment the master laptop is just running windows sbs2003 with ICS&DHCP

but this is because i cannot get it to work properly in backtrack

so please help me

1) Sounds like you plan on doing something illegal. I'm sure he has a form of identifying your box and disabling it if you don't pay, which may be illegal depending on what he is re-broadcasting to begin with.

You can see the traffic using a packet sniffer and some filters to focus your results.

2) You will need a form of warning banner to notify users their traffic is monitored. A splash portal of some sort would work. And the same applies, a packet sniffer of your choosing for the application. Keep in mind, if you plan on monitor all the time and log everything, it will use a lot of space. If you want to just watch for specific traffic, you can use an IDS and setup alerts. But with you saying "ALL traffic, passwords, usernames, http(s) requests etc" tells me you are looking to do something you shouldn't be.

@ Mr-Protocol

well i think that the guy that sells this dreambox is doing semi-legel bussiness

as he does pay taxes over the income he generates of selling (illegal/hacked/rebroadcasted) tv.

but i just want to do it to know how this all works

i dont just want it to work i want to know how and why it works.

(maybe sounds familiar)

and your answer on 2 is i want to see if it is REALLY possible to kinda semi-phish my passwords for EVERYTHING

eg. ftp servers, websites, telnetserver, remotedesktop servers/terminal server/ vnc data

that goes from ANY point in my network so the secured wifi and unsecure wifi and straight from the 24 port switch

can i become somebody who is not only able to set this up but also understands what exactly is hapening and why

You will have to reverse engineer the commands the dreambox uses from the packet capture and then most of the traffic will probably be an RTMP stream from then on.

Researching ftp, websites, etc with just a few minutes of a packet sniff and test from your local machine will show you if credentials can be captured. Since you are using a switched network, you wont see ALL the traffic unless you do ARP poisoning or attack the endpoint.

@ Mr-Protocol

i need 1 of those

so if it is this hard to get credentials how come so many people/systems get hacked?

and i dont like to take people who put their credentials in phising/fake sites as people that got hacked

they didnt read well enough...........

and keylogging victims i would also like to exclude as this isnt hacking this is litterally watching

so actually what can i really do (on the masterlaptop) that IS considered hacking or illegal

and if i am able to do those things then arent the ISP's also able to do the same??

To break it down to a base concept, if you are the pathway of traffic, you can see and manipulate it. Now, some connections are encrypted but just watching traffic that isn't yours is illegal. The reason a lot of people's accounts get compromised is by the databases getting hacked and their passwords getting cracked from the stored hashes, or random brute force attacking (which is sort of going away), or with java exploits to run code on a system.

ISPs can watch and monitor your traffic. But the same thing applies to encryption of all aspects, whether it be network connections or encrypted files, it's worthless unless it can be interpreted by someone or a program. So at some point in the "life" of the data, it will be decrypted.

i know what the box does, at least what the dreambox community says it does

and that is it receives the decrypting codes for the coax signal through the internet

so it can display the image on the screen

now what i would like to know about this part is WHERE THE HECK do these codes come from???

how do "they" know how to decrypt the cable signal of the entire country's cable providers(3 in holland)?

i know what the box does, at least what the dreambox community says it does

and that is it receives the decrypting codes for the coax signal through the internet

so it can display the image on the screen

now what i would like to know about this part is WHERE THE HECK do these codes come from???

how do "they" know how to decrypt the cable signal of the entire country's cable providers(3 in holland)?

You know what it is supposed to do but don't foget the guy who sold it to you is, probably, already breaking the law in selling these boxes, do you think he would worry about adding additional stuff to it?

You've plugged a box into your network which you don't know what it does from a guy who you admit does semi-legal business and sells hacked stuff.

Doesn't sound like a bright move to me.

^ THIS!