Disable LM Hashes

morrty

To disable the storage of the LM hashes for Windows 2000:

1. Use Regedt32 to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlLsa.

2. On the Edit menu, Add Key name NoLMHash.

3. Exit Regedt32 and restart your computer.

4. Insure that all users change their password, as the hash is NOT removed until the password is changed.

To disable the storage of the LM hashes for Windows XP:

1. Use Regedt32 to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlLsa.

2. On the Edit menu, Add Value name NoLMHash, a REG_DWORD data type, and set the data value to 1.

3. Exit Regedt32 and restart your computer.

4. Insure that all users change their password, as the hash is NOT removed until the password is changed.

NOTE: Windows XP also support the Network Security Group Policy at Computer Configuration Windows Settings Security Settings Local Policies Security Options.

Morrty, please tone down on the flamage.

Looking at the timestamps it's easy to see how this sequence of events took place, but that's no reason to mouth off to the guy like that.

Im sorry about the language, I'm just a little pissed off with his attitude. Forums are for helping ppl not sitting and flaming everyone. Ep2x03 is the first episode I've seen of you guys and after my roommate showed me this I just got a little paranoid, what better way to quickly find a fix for this than to ask on the forums? I didnt think about google

hey man I wasn't trying to be a dick only trying to encourage the use of self help. As Aardwolf linked to you should check out the rules of the forum and googling for answers is always the best solution to your problems it is even quicker then asking here on the forums. Now after you google something and you still have a question explain your problem and we are a little bit more understanding and more the happy to explain something to you in more detail. :)