WiFi Pineapple Wiki!

masler77

Cool, I'm happy to see that we will be using Mediawiki for the future wiki. I have a lot of experience with Mediawiki after creating and administrating this wiki for a few years now. Let me know if you guys need any help with any of the technical aspects, such as setting up anti-spam or essential MW extensions. I will wait to start editing until that big red notice is off the home page though.

Cool, I'm happy to see that we will be using Mediawiki for the future wiki. I have a lot of experience with Mediawiki after creating and administrating this wiki for a few years now. Let me know if you guys need any help with any of the technical aspects, such as setting up anti-spam or essential MW extensions. I will wait to start editing until that big red notice is off the home page though.

In your eyes, what are essential MW extensions?

If you have any pointers, do let me know.

I wonder if someone can come up with a better (keeping it simple and professional) theme though. Other than that, I think once the Wiki is fully up and running we'll take care of spam etc.

In your eyes, what are essential MW extensions?

If you have any pointers, do let me know.

I wonder if someone can come up with a better (keeping it simple and professional) theme though. Other than that, I think once the Wiki is fully up and running we'll take care of spam etc.

As far as essential extensions, I would choose:

WikiEditor - modules that improve the user experience of editing. It is the editing interface used by Wikipedia.

Liquid Threads - HIghly improved talk/discussion pages. Adds discussion threading and reply notifications.

Essential for spam-blocking (a huge problem with MediaWiki sites):

ConfirmEdit - Adds required captcha for new user creation and anonymous edits.

TorBlock - Prevents edits from users on the tor network. While controversial, I like it because IP bans are not very effective if the offender can just fire up their tor browser.

AntiSpoof - Prevents confusable usernames from being created. It blocks the creation of accounts with mixed-script, confusing and similar usernames.

AbuseFilter - Filters can be setup to automatically detect vandalism and abuse. It can ban or warn users automatically.

I'll try to remember to add more later. You can view which extensions any Mediawiki site uses by going to the page Special:Version.

As far as essential extensions, I would choose:

WikiEditor - modules that improve the user experience of editing. It is the editing interface used by Wikipedia.

Liquid Threads - HIghly improved talk/discussion pages. Adds discussion threading and reply notifications.

Essential for spam-blocking (a huge problem with MediaWiki sites):

ConfirmEdit - Adds required captcha for new user creation and anonymous edits.

TorBlock - Prevents edits from users on the tor network. While controversial, I like it because IP bans are not very effective if the offender can just fire up their tor browser.

AntiSpoof - Prevents confusable usernames from being created. It blocks the creation of accounts with mixed-script, confusing and similar usernames.

AbuseFilter - Filters can be setup to automatically detect vandalism and abuse. It can ban or warn users automatically.

I'll try to remember to add more later. You can view which extensions any Mediawiki site uses by going to the page Special:Version.

Most of these have been added and installed. In regards to the AbuseFilter, do you have any example rules we should implement?

If anyone wants to start adding some useful guides, you can request here and ill try to get it on, or you can write one yourself :)

What kinds of guides are you looking for? Criteria?

Most of these have been added and installed. In regards to the AbuseFilter, do you have any example rules we should implement?

Here are a few Abuse Filter rules I use:

Prevents non-sysops from blanking an article: (consequences: disallow)

!("sysop" in user_groups) &
new_size < 40 &
old_size > 300 &
article_namespace == 0 &
!(lcase(added_lines) rlike "#redirect")

Don't touch other user's pages unless you're a sysop: (disallow)

!("sysop" in user_groups) &
article_namespace == 2 &
count (user_name, article_text) == 0

Less Objectivity: (disallow)

article_namespace != 90 &
(lcase(new_wikitext) rlike "\bi think\b|\bi like\b")

I have a good one for blocking bad words that is triggered a lot, but I'm hesitant to post literally a list of the worst words possible on this forum. Let me know if you'd like it and I can PM it.