Is a 2nd WiFi adapter required for wireless tether

wotw

I searched on the forum but could not find the answer...

I want to use the Mark 4 with a wireless like to an access point to deliver Internet access (hence wireless tether). However, I could not fully understand the documentation provided with my Mark4 on that specific approach as it sounds like the Mark 4 can do this by itself... Now, my understanding is that the existing WiFi interface of the Mark 4 is already used for the Karma and the likes... How could it ALSO connect to my AP?

Doesn't this WiFi tether scenario require a 2nd WiFi adapter?

Thanks for your help and patience.

WOTW

Hey well what your asking is possible without the need for an external adapter. However if you still wish to use karma then I would suggest you get a 2nd wireless adapter. Usually people purchase the Alfa Awus036H or the NHA version.

So to answer your question.. Yes you will need a 2nd adapter in order to use karma as well as a wireless relay.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Makes sense. Glad to get a confirmation my initial understanding was right.

I have a an Alfa AWUS051NH which I suspect works with a Mark 4.

Anyway, I will have to try it out.

Could this be one of the reason the new Mark5 seems to offer 2 WiFi interfaces, i.e. to support dual wireless setup (Karma + Tether)?

Thanks again!

WOTW

If you are using a 2nd wifi interface like an alfa, i suggest that you use a power supply that can produce 2A of current

i had problems with Alfa when i tethered it with my MKIV. the alfa does not blink = not working

At first i used an iphone charger as USB supply but it did not work, but i had power stability problems, the i saw that it only provide 0.5A of current, enough to power only 1 device

then i used a 3rd party charger that gives 2A current, both devices worked.

then i have a 3rd party battery pack (sorry i did not buy the battery pack from hak5). it has a 1A and 2A usb slot. i tried the 1A,bot did not work/intermitent

so i plugged into the 2A and both worked fine.