i have a problem. I config:

smser.conf
password:**********
number:849894*****
cmd1:echo hello world
cmd2:whats going on
cmd3:thanks
but in smser.log
2014-01-04 17:05:29.366218 - Missing config file: /pineapple/components/infusions/smser/content/smser.conf
2014-01-04 17:05:29.373347 - Missing config file: /pineapple/components/infusions/smser/content/smser.conf
Don't send sms, don't test, don't use ????? And, I start smser infusion but web interface don't start. It's disable
Can you show me how to fix that?

From the way you are explaining the error it sounds like you have the wrong credentials for your gmail account. There was a bug in version 2.1 that would crash SMSer if the wrong credentials were given. Also make sure that the only authentication you have for your gmail account is password. SMSer can not do 2 factor authentication for gmail!

UPDATE: Version 2.2 is available for update! This version includes bug fixes, debugging features, and interface tweaks. Please update as soon as you can :D

Edited by newbi3

I have Uninstalled the older version of SMSer and have installed the new updated version. I am able to send a text from SMSer but when I reply, the message gets to my gmail account but no matter what it is, SMSer can not find any key words, in any combination. Below are details.

smser.conf
Gmail Account: ****************@gmail.com
Gmail Password: *********
Phone Number: **********
SMS Gateway: pm.sprint.com
Custom Command 1: echo command 1
Custom Command 2: echo command 2
Custom Command 3: echo command 3

Received Message
delivered-to: *****************@gmail.com
received: by 10.58.100.73 with smtp id ew9csp27006veb;
wed, 26 feb 2014 06:18:27 -0800 (pst)
x-received: by 10.50.50.241 with smtp id f17mr10697014igo.23.1393424306898;
wed, 26 feb 2014 06:18:26 -0800 (pst)
return-path: <mmscadm@pixmbl.com>
received: from mx.messaging.sprintpcs.com (smtp3a.mo.sprintpcs.com. [66.1.208.12])
by mx.google.com with esmtp id k7si34319365igd.4.2014.02.26.06.18.26
for <*****************@gmail.com>;
wed, 26 feb 2014 06:18:26 -0800 (pst)
received-spf: neutral (google.com: 66.1.208.12 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of mmscadm@pixmbl.com) client-ip=66.1.208.12;
authentication-results: mx.google.com;
spf=neutral (google.com: 66.1.208.12 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of mmscadm@pixmbl.com) smtp.mail=mmscadm@pixmbl.com
received: from musreb2c.nmcc.sprintspectrum.com (lxnsmssf5-vip.nmcc.sprintspectrum.com [10.25.157.71])
by mx.messaging.sprintpcs.com (postfix) with esmtp id 06b83615e
for <*****************@gmail.com>; wed, 26 feb 2014 08:15:01 -0600 (cst)
resent-date: wed, 26 feb 2014 14:18:26 gmt
resent-from: *****************@gmail.com
resent-to: *****************@gmail.com
received: by pixmbl.com ; wed, 26 feb 2014 14:18:26 gmt
content-type: multipart/related;boundary=1_530df7ad_37a721a0;type="text/html"
date: wed, 26 feb 2014 14:18:20 gmt
to: *****************@gmail.com
message-id: <aqd1_keqwwxomds7o@musreb2c.nmcc.sprintspectrum.com>
mime-version: 1.0

--1_530df7ad_37a721a0
content-type: text/html;charset="utf-8"
content-transfer-encoding: base64

pehutuw+ciagicagicagpehfquq+ciagicagicagicagicagica8veluteu+pc9usvrmrt4kicag
icagica8l0hfquq+ciagicagicagpejprfk+ciagicagicagicagicagica8ucbhbglnbj0ibgvm
dci+pezptlqgzmfjzt0ivmvyzgfuysigy29sb3i9iinjyzawmdaiihnpemu9ijiiplnlbnqgznjv
bsbtesbtb2jpbguuciagicagicagicagicagica8qli+x19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19f
x19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19fx19fxzwvrk9ovd48l1a+cgogicagicag
icagicagicagpfbsrt4kagv5cgo8l1bsrt4kicagicagica8l0jprfk+cjwvsfrntd4k
--1_530df7ad_37a721a0--

When you send an SMS to an email address, it gets converted to an MMS. It also attaches a signature of, "Sent from my mobile. Enjoy." I have checked all settings on my phone as well as speaking with sprint tech support about this issue. The tech claims it is from my phone and a factory reset needs to be performed. Since I have multiple phones, I have done the factory reset and it makes no difference. I have found that if I use Handcent SMS and force SMS instead of MMS it works. I have tested the settings with messaging.sprintpcs.com with no luck. Messages fail to send with gmail/pineapple. I believe the issue lies with how SMSer is parsing the emails and sprint converting them to MMS.
Replied Example(Gmail inbox)

Sent from my mobile. Enjoy.

hey

If there is anything else you would like me to test, let me know.
Edited by THCMinister

Thanks for all of the info! I just have a couple of questions:

1. Did you get a reply at all from smser saying anything at all? (example: I didn't understand your message)

2. Is the message that you sent to SMSer "hey" or is that what you got back from smser?

Also if you could do the following steps for me:

1. Disable SMSer

2. From your phone send a message to your gmail account (just like you would for smser)

3. Manually go into your gmail account and read the message.

4. Answer this: Can you read the message you sent to it?

When I send a message (ex. hey ) to my gmail while SMSer is enabled, I get a response from SMSer, Could you repeat that for me or My Phone must be acting up again I couldn't read your message, etc.

When I disable SMSer and send a message , I recieve it in my inbox.

I sent the message: hey

It shows in my inbox as:

hey

From my understanding this is the signature that sprint attaches to SMS messages sent to an email(it converts to an MMS, out of my control)

Anything else let me know.

When I send a message (ex. hey ) to my gmail while SMSer is enabled, I get a response from SMSer, Could you repeat that for me or My Phone must be acting up again I couldn't read your message, etc.

When I disable SMSer and send a message , I recieve it in my inbox.

I sent the message: hey

It shows in my inbox as:

hey

From my understanding this is the signature that sprint attaches to SMS messages sent to an email(it converts to an MMS, out of my control)

Anything else let me know.

It seems to me like the majority of the users with this problem are using sprint. This weekend I am going to experiment with some stuff and see what I can get working. I do not have access to a spring phone so if you are interested in helping me I'll contact you over PM and we can get this fixed

• 2 weeks later...

SMSer version 2.3 has been released! Please update right away! This contains a fix for all of those who are using sprint as well as command line integration.

version 2.3 Changes

• Fixed base64 encoding issue for sprint (special thanks to THCMinister)
  • Improved logging
  • Fixed typos in keywords
  • Added a delete option for "Received Messages"
  • Added a warning for Two Factor Login
  • Added command-line integration

Here is a video going over the features of this release

Edited by newbi3

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a compatibility issue with SMSer 2.3 on version 1.1.1 of the firmware:

When you install it from the pineapple bar it doesn't appear to ever actually install...

I am looking into this issue so be expecting version 2.4 within the next few days.

There seems to be a compatibility issue with SMSer 2.3 on version 1.1.1 of the firmware:

When you install it from the pineapple bar it doesn't appear to ever actually install...

I am looking into this issue so be expecting version 2.4 within the next few days.

There is an issue with the way you created the .tar.gz file. The smser folder should be called "smser" and not "smser-2.3" :)

As the WiFi Pineapple Bar searches for a folder called "smser", the install process fails.

I have had this issue with 1.1.1 for many infusions, not just SMSer. A factory reset/ uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix it. Formatting the SD so far has fixed the issue for me. I will try with SMSer and let you know.

This is odd, but unrelated to the SMSer issue. Until Newbi3 fixes the issue with his .tar.gz file, it will be unavailable to download.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

A fix for this has been submitted and will be available soon. Please update to version 2.4

Edited by newbi3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have experienced a number of difficulties with SMSer since 2.2. While I have been attempting to fix and workaround with some success, I have reached a point where I thought I would ask the community for advice.

I have installed SMSer onto the SD card, all files appear to be there when I ssh to it and view file structure. However the infusion does not let me create a config. If I click submit once I have entered the details, it does nothing - i.e. no response and does not create a conf file. No biggie, simply created config file myself (smser.conf).

If I try to start the infusion from the small tile, it doesn't respond. OK fine, start it from infusion command line and the text turns green. However if I reboot pineapple, same deal again.

If I set it to autostart from command line, happy green text saying "started" - but it doesn't actually start it. From a restart the text stays green, but smser.py isn't actually running.

Tried this installed on both SD and then on internal - same result
Tried formatting SD card and installing - same result
Tried factory reset and installing on both again, same result

Anyone else experienced same problem? I have thought about potential permissions / file paths being the problem but I have not noticed anything out of place in the code so far. These things generally are a user-related issue I know but just reaching out for a shared experience or advice

Thanks

EDIT - Problem solved. For anyone who is interested, I removed the sd card and created a totally unallocated card, then used the formatting tool on the Pineapple. This seems to solve the problem for me. Did notice that the sd card when formatted in the pineapple created a near 1Gb damaged partition at the start of the volume. Tried this a couple of times today and it infrequently repeated the effect. Oh well, that's why the section is marked "Experimental"!

Edited by Showstealer

• 1 month later...

SMSer has an issue on the 1.4 firmware it has been noted and will be fixed soon. Please stay tuned for an updated version!

If you had SMSer installed to SD storage on version 1.3 or earlier of the pineapple and you update to 1.4 you may see jumbled text. A simple un-install and re-install should be all that is needed to fix the issue!

Edited by newbi3

• 1 month later...
pineapple infusion smser help

that will give you a list of commands to use.

I will be making some updates to SMSer soon as it seems that tmobile has started base64 encoding their messages as well.

• 5 weeks later...

I can't quite get this to work.

Carrier is Verizon.

I use Google Authentication and have generated an app specific password for the MKV

My [redacted] config is:

• Gmail Account: <myemail>@gmail.com
  • Gmail Password*: <app_specific_password>
  • Phone Number: <10-digit-phone>
  • SMS Gateway: vtext.com
* I tried using my 'regular' Gmail password but didn't receive any messages at all.
Sending a test message from Pineapple: Success, message arrives on phone
Sending a test email (from Gmail) to <phonenumber>@vtext.com: Success, message arrives on phone
Responding to the message from phone: Failure
- I get the message back to my phone (and iMessage) but it does not get back to my gmail inbox and it is not received by the MKV
The help file suggests that I need to use a different gateway. Verizon has two other possibilities that could be used:
  • vzwpix.com
  • mypixmessages.com
When trying either of these I don't receive the test message from the MKV. I'm out of gateway's to try for Verizon. Does this still sound like a gateway issue or is it possible that the app-specific password is an issue?
Is sending a keyword message to <phone>@smsgateway.com (7575551212@vtext.com, for example) supposed to arrive at MKV or am I supposed to be sending to a different address?
Thank you!

From your phone you send the message to "mygamilaccount@gmail.com". To trouble shoot your gateway issue go ahead and send a text to your email and check it on gmail see what the gateway is. Then try to send a reply to it if it fails to send then you need to use a different gateway to receive messages (which is the one that you will want to use). Try on gmail creating a new message to your phone number without the gateway and send it then check your sent box to see what the gateway it sent the message to was.

Also I have not messed around with app specific passwords, it could possibly be an issue but i am not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

ssh into your pineapple

cd /pineapple/includes/api

run ls to see if there is a file called "key" if it is not there then create it and put some numbers in it

echo 1234 > key

then go to your web interface and use the key 1234 to login to your pineapple.

• 2 weeks later...

After upgrading I could receive the test text but could not get the pineapple to respond to my commands when sending smser a text.

I kept getting datetime errors.

Here is a copy of the logs:

22:29:05.448717 - Checking for messages...

22:29:05.802111 - You've got mail

22:29:05.922876 - Error fetching messages: type object 'datetime.datetime' has no attribute 'datetime'

22:29:05.930282 - No more messages. Will check again in 54 seconds

22:30:00.461935 - Checking for messages...

22:30:00.771926 - You've got mail

22:30:00.910317 - Error fetching messages: type object 'datetime.datetime' has no attribute 'datetime'

22:30:00.917322 - No more messages. Will check again in 37 seconds

Any help would be appreciated!

• 3 months later...

Hey guys SMSer is being removed from the pineapple bar upon request by me since I haven't been managing it and I don't have the time right now to update it for the new firmware.

However SMSer will be back in 2015 and its going to be completely redone and it will work with every perfectly. Once I get a little less busy I'll be making an announcement with what you guys can expect to see in the next version of SMSer. It will be pretty crazy stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed this infusion on my mk5 and the large tile formatting is messed up and the buttons dont function... I cant get the large tile to load correctly, I would be glad to try to help get it fixed, I did find the cli executable and have been able to configure and test functionality with cli , but still cant seem to get the commands to work, or the device to even reply to my texts. great idea though and i cant wait till its fixed!

woopsie, should have checked the end of the thread first...

Edited by chreestopher