Connecting to WiFi AP breaking pineappple

C3PBRO

Yea, so i just got my pineapple... Flashed it, works fine until i try to connect to another wifi access point. I enable both wireless cards, click on the "network" tile, then "client mode" and try to connect to my network. Within about 3 seconds my pineapple crashes and has a constant green LED with no other lights. After rebooting it has the same issue, so the only way to fix it is do a DIP switch reset.

I have tried taking the encryption off the access point im trying to access as well, with no avail.

Cheers

Have a look at your /etc/config/wireless file. If wlan0 is the b/g/n capable device and wlan1 is the b/g capable device you're good. But, if they're swapped it's a known issue with a few posts covering it and a fix on the way.

I really wish people would open their eyes man, theres been like 8 threads about this exact issue

Maybe someone could organize some of those threads and pin them.

Or create a "Known Issues" thread, or maybe a "Faq" that would be very helpful.

Even possibly a "Newbie" thread would be the best.

I have been watching and reading most of them for two weeks, some people don't have time to sift through all the threads.

A lot of us are new here and don't have several years of working with the Mark I, II, III, IV.

You veterans are great at helping us get going, but at the moment the Mark V forums only has one sticky, and it's not very helpful yet if we run into problems.

This is more than just a forum for ideas, it's a forum to help support a product that is new to a lot of people.

It seems to me, now that Hak5 is officially an OEM....you are going to get lots of customers that never heard of a pinapple until the last few weeks.

With the amount of $$$$ some of people are spending, I would suspect they are expecting to turn it on and not have issues.

I have been able to keep up, but I can see the confusion some of the other new people are having.

Give us "noobs" a chance and give us some pinned threads please.

Edited by xrad

Yeah, I would like to second xrad's comments. I've never worked with any of the previous Pineapples, but I watched every video made by Hak5 on the release, technical details, etc waiting for it to arrive. I've also read most of the forums posts. Moverover I've been doing this kind of stuff for most of my life, as well as my career, and I'm still running into some issues. Of course I don't blame this on the dev team, it's an extremely versatile product that was just launched, so I anticipated having issues. And from what I've seen so far, the support team is great!

At the same time, reading through the forums, I must say - the community around the product is somewhat sad. I'm seeing lots of people genuinely asking for help, and lots of really condescending responses from users far from having enough knowledge/skill to pull it off. If we could provide new users a sticky with the current quick-fixes to problems that every one who uses the product is going to run into, it would save a ton of wasted man hours both for the users needing help, as well as those who feel they need to provide snarky responses. A problem with simply going through the threads as-is, is that some of the issues have been resolved, and thus some of the fixes that worked previously either aren't needed, or need to be solved in a different way. Moreover, reading through the forums, there are not-so-good fixes being thrown around and recommended. How is a 'newb' suppose to discriminate between them? A sticky that's updated would solve all of these issues.

Please note, I'm not implying that there aren't many very good threads as well - that's clear. Sebkinne and a bunch of others are the reason I've got it as functional as I do. I'm just commenting on the overall feel of many of the threads (here and in particular in the usb rubber ducky forum).

Yeah, I would like to second xrad's comments. I've never worked with any of the previous Pineapples, but I watched every video made by Hak5 on the release, technical details, etc waiting for it to arrive. I've also read most of the forums posts. Moverover I've been doing this kind of stuff for most of my life, as well as my career, and I'm still running into some issues. Of course I don't blame this on the dev team, it's an extremely versatile product that was just launched, so I anticipated having issues. And from what I've seen so far, the support team is great!

At the same time, reading through the forums, I must say - the community around the product is somewhat sad. I'm seeing lots of people genuinely asking for help, and lots of really condescending responses from users far from having enough knowledge/skill to pull it off. If we could provide new users a sticky with the current quick-fixes to problems that every one who uses the product is going to run into, it would save a ton of wasted man hours both for the users needing help, as well as those who feel they need to provide snarky responses. A problem with simply going through the threads as-is, is that some of the issues have been resolved, and thus some of the fixes that worked previously either aren't needed, or need to be solved in a different way. Moreover, reading through the forums, there are not-so-good fixes being thrown around and recommended. How is a 'newb' suppose to discriminate between them? A sticky that's updated would solve all of these issues.

Please note, I'm not implying that there aren't many very good threads as well - that's clear. Sebkinne and a bunch of others are the reason I've got it as functional as I do. I'm just commenting on the overall feel of many of the threads (here and in particular in the usb rubber ducky forum).

I was going to shorten the quote but jdoe was very eloquent trying to explain the situation.

Again being OEM or ODM, whatever you want to call it, surely hak5 anticipated with the teaser videos for the Mark V would bring in a ton of new customers not only buying the Mark V, but other products aswell.

Even on the hakshop Ducky page I am sent to a 404 for iDuke.com, so for sure the site has been down for awhile.

Question is did we purchase an unsuported product?

I doubt we did, lots of info and lots of help out there, but the threads in the product forums really need to be cleaned up updated with pinned threads and made "New Customer" friendly, or this new surge of business you guys are experiencing may peter out.

You guys are even more big time now, we want you to stay that way.

I can go right now buy a $20 product and be able to call customer support on 100,000's of products, can't we have someone make these forums user friendly for "New Customers" for all products being sold at this time?

OEM/ODM means something different than just reselling a product.

jdoe and I are not complaining we are just trying to put our 2 cents to help out as best we see it.

Edited by xrad

Have a look at your /etc/config/wireless file. If wlan0 is the b/g/n capable device and wlan1 is the b/g capable device you're good. But, if they're swapped it's a known issue with a few posts covering it and a fix on the way.

Thanks for your help. Could i edit and swap the wireless cards in the config file?

PS. I agree this forum really needs some more stickies to help us nooblets out :)

Edited by C3PBRO

not sure if it will help your situation, but i corrected my wlan0 and wlan1 switching by going into the "wifi manager" infusion and using the "remove configuration" buttons to remove both the wlan0 and wlan1 sections. after a reboot all was good. hope it helps.

Thanks for the honest feedback, I really do appreciate it. I understand we are in the early days of a new platform and that's going to mean a whole set if new challenges. I'm confident the next firmware update will address these known bugs, as well as the upcoming video series to introduce the product to the newcomers.

I know there's a greater expectation on us now that we're an OEM and I hope that we can learn and grow from these early experiences in a way that will foster a welcoming community for all.