Charge indicator?

anode

Yes there is in fact over charge protection. Our manufacturer just re-confirmed with me. We spent extra to get a good single PCB for the entire unit rather than the small cheap protection circuits typically found in each individual cell. The only downside to leaving it on the charger for an extended period is that it may reduce the number of recharges you get out of it.

How long is the initial charge supposed to take? And does the PSU light go green when finished?

Mine has been on the charger for about 75 hours and the light's still red. I'm supposed to leave the power switch turned on during charging, right?

There were no instructions with it and the whole thing looks very... homemade. Like, airport-security-might-be-suspicious-of-it level of homemade. ;-)

How long is the initial charge supposed to take? And does the PSU light go green when finished?

Mine has been on the charger for about 75 hours and the light's still red. I'm supposed to leave the power switch turned on during charging, right?

There were no instructions with it and the whole thing looks very... homemade. Like, airport-security-might-be-suspicious-of-it level of homemade. ;-)

I thought I saw somewhere 12 hours for the big one and less for the smaller.

The red LED I think is just a power indicator, not a charge indicator.

Its also funny how so many differ on how to treat lithium ions. I've read the entire gamut.

I thought I saw somewhere 12 hours for the big one and less for the smaller.

The red LED I think is just a power indicator, not a charge indicator.

Okay well I guess I can probably unplug mine then! Sometime between roughly 12-18 hours was when it stopped being warm. I could swear I read somewhere that the light on the power supply was supposed to change when the charge finished, but I can't find that anymore so maybe I made it up.

The instructions for both battery packs are in the booklet that comes with the Mk V.

Ah, thank-you! That's where I read it - "US (adaptable) AC Power Supply LED indicates charge complete."

So I guess something is broken with my charger, battery, and/or booklet since the LED has yet to indicate anything after about 96 hours. :-(

For the Elite kit battery:

1. Plug the charger into a wall outlet.

2. Plug the battery into the charger

3. Turn the battery on so that the batteries LED is lit

4. Wait for the chargers LED to go from Red to Green (or off)

Darren,

Thank you for the information, however I think there is a slight correction. I received my Elite battery pack and charged overnight with "battery on so that the batteries LED is lit" The chargers LED never changed from being a solid Red. As soon as I turned off the battery using the rocker switch, my chargers LED then indeed turned Green.

Its good to know that I can charge the battery while it is on, and even while the Mark V is plugged into it. However, I don't think the light will change Green on the Charger until the battery is turned off.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thank you for the information, however I think there is a slight correction. I received my Elite battery pack and charged overnight with "battery on so that the batteries LED is lit" The chargers LED never changed from being a solid Red. As soon as I turned off the battery using the rocker switch, my chargers LED then indeed turned Green.

Yeah, same for me. I had it plugged in with the switch on for almost a week, and the LED just stayed red forever. Turning the switch off did make the LED go green.

But even when the battery has no charge, turning the switch off still makes the LED go green. So I'm pretty sure it does need to be switched on in order to charge.

I'm kinda thinking the directions are incorrect and there simply is no visual indicator for a complete charge. But you can guess when it finishes by judging the warmth of the battery pack's electronics section.

Edited by Some Guy