customs charges?

xerox2k4

i don't see it mentioned anywhere,any of you that recieved your pineapple could you state your country and how much duty/customs you were charged

then Darren can put a guessitimate on the store checkout of how much analog money we need to keep around, since the mailman wants money on the spot and doesn't take debit and doesn't have change.

i don't see it mentioned anywhere,any of you that recieved your pineapple could you state your country and how much duty/customs you were charged

then Darren can put a guessitimate on the store checkout of how much analog money we need to keep around, since the mailman wants money on the spot and doesn't take debit and doesn't have change.

That's a really difficult number to estimate. I have payed 10-30 euro customs on some items (non hak5, just btw) that I re-ordered from the states. The same item, the same price, but totally different customs / fees afterwards.

I believe it depends on what the customs agents value the device at. One might value it more, one less. This should only happen if they don't believe what it says on the bill though..Otherwise depends on your carrier. Here in Germany it's 21% + handling fee for items over a certain value.

In Europe you don't need to pay import taxes for Wifi devices.

You do need to pay (if your package is handled by customs, which is pretty random):

- VAT (varying from 19 to 21%). Note that this is on value + shipping cost!

- Customs handling fee (10 - 15 euro)

For a plain pineapple MKV I had to pay 18 euros to the postman (shipped to The Netherlands by USPS)

Canada should be free. NAFTA

No. "Free trade" just means there are no *extra* taxes for foreign purchases. We still have to pay the usual taxes that would apply to domestic purchases (5% GST).

I ordered the Mk V plus Elite kit to Canada and the charges were $36.43. IIRC it was about $10 GST and the rest was the normal UPS ripoff of "fee to collect the fees, because we can." Most Canadians who shop online are well aware of UPS being the worst for that.

Ordered on 16th, UPS call to say it will be here tomorrow along with a $70 charge. "Crawls in corner and bites arm"

Ordered the ELITE....$199 + $33 Shipping + $70 = $302.00

GETTING SCREWED BY UPS - PRICELESS

I live in Toronto....

Edited by jermain69

Canada should be free. NAFTA

there should be tax but no duty. but ups has often charged me for that anyway I don't bother fighting with ups anymore I just don't ship with them whenever possible (why I asked for the travel kit to ship usps when it does ship) and if I do have to I add 30% of the items cost into the shipping if I still think its worth it I buy it and let them charge me.

on several occasions I have had them refuse to release my packages that had no duty due and I self cleared through customs because they want their brokerage fee, Ive even had to get customs to call them and that is not an easy thing to do!

Edited by jjd

I think many USA-based merchants are simply unaware of how horribly awful UPS is to deal with at the international receiving end. It's even worse for me because I'm not in a major urban centre. With a population as spread out as Canada's (very spread out!), most of the courier companies don't have any local operations in a lot of areas. They just contract it out, sometimes a couple layers deep of subcontractors and they all have horrible internal communication amongst themselves. But all the USA-based merchant sees is the glossly marketing from UPS claiming that they're so amazing at handling deliveries to anywhere.

Post office FTW, screw the crappy courier companies. The Canada Post brokerage fee for bringing an international package through customs is usually $0-7. And they have operations in every neighbourhood across the whole country. USA-based sellers often seem to be under the impression that USPS is crappy, but I think if they were better educated on what the receiving experience is like, they would realize it is often the best choice for their customers.

Edited by Some Guy

I swear the people at UPS are retard. Been tracking my Mark V, it went from San Pablo, California to New Brunswick Canada, to Windsor Ontario Canada, to Freaking Hodgkins Illinois.....

Windsor is 1 hr away from my damn house......

It had some "Power of Attorney notice needed" issue, then had to be processed by broker, then went to be registered at clearance agency.

LOGISTICS AT ITS BEST

Edited by jermain69

I swear the people at UPS are retard. Been tracking my Mark V, it went from San Pablo, California to New Brunswick Canada, to Windsor Ontario Canada, to Freaking Hodgkins Illinois.....

Windsor is 1 hr away from my damn house......

It had some "Power of Attorney notice needed" issue, then had to be processed by broker, then went to be registered at clearance agency.

LOGISTICS AT ITS BEST

hmm sounds expensive maybe that why their fees are so high

That's a really difficult number to estimate. I have payed 10-30 euro customs on some items (non hak5, just btw) that I re-ordered from the states. The same item, the same price, but totally different customs / fees afterwards.

I believe it depends on what the customs agents value the device at. One might value it more, one less. This should only happen if they don't believe what it says on the bill though..Otherwise depends on your carrier. Here in Germany it's 21% + handling fee for items over a certain value.

Better luck next time......

All the best

Sooooo damn pissed. Called UPS about my package. Online tracking says its been cleared and on its way, but when I called, they blatantly said that the online tracking info was incorrect and in fact the package was sitting in a warehouse awaiting clearance.

Ordered my pineapple on the 16th, paid UPS Standard insured, was scheduled for delivery yesterday, now this bag of horse manure.

I advise no one to use UPS (Ultra Poor Service)

Better to use USPS, its gonna take the same amount of time, cost you less for shipping and little to no ridiculous brokerage fees

Sooooo damn pissed. Called UPS about my package. Online tracking says its been cleared and on its way, but when I called, they blatantly said that the online tracking info was incorrect and in fact the package was sitting in a warehouse awaiting clearance.

Ordered my pineapple on the 16th, paid UPS Standard insured, was scheduled for delivery yesterday, now this bag of horse manure.

I advise no one to use UPS (Ultra Poor Service)

Better to use USPS, its gonna take the same amount of time, cost you less for shipping and little to no ridiculous brokerage fees

thats weird cause i believe the online tracking is all they can see as well so if it says cleared it probably is they are just being slow and trying to blame customs. that seems to always be their excuse if they are late.

thats weird cause i believe the online tracking is all they can see as well so if it says cleared it probably is they are just being slow and trying to blame customs. that seems to always be their excuse if they are late.

I doubt they're trying to lie. Cluelessness seems a more reasonable explanation than malice.

My guess is that this relates to what I mentioned earlier about UPS using subcontractors for parts of their operations. Their internal communication goes to pot when your package goes through one of those stages. If you call UPS, then *sometimes* the person will unofficially IM/phonecall the subcontractor and get info that way. In my experience, that info is often out-of-sync with what the UPS online tracking shows.

When I buy something that's coming via UPS, I just expect from the start - before I decide to make the purchase - that it will take 3-5 days longer than promised and that I'll have to pay $30-70 when it shows up. Then I just chill out until the local contractor phones me to come pick it up. OCDing over the tracking and getting all stressed doesn't do any good.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm re-evaluating our options. Aside from EMS (Post) is there a carrier preference among the international crowd?

I think in the UK the main ones are : DHL, Parcelforce and TNT.

Then there is also the Royal Mail.

Hope that helps!

it will be here tomorrow along with a $70 charge. "Crawls in corner and bites arm"

I hear ya bro

The first time I got hit with the "unexpected stupidly high brokerage and customs charges" was about 5 years ago I was living in a university dorm, and I literally had to ask everyone on my floor for money while the delivery guy waited. The delivery company didn’t list any customs fees on their tracking page they don’t call ahead saying we got a package for you and there’s customs fee of $X that you’ll have to pay when we deliver it tomorrow. They just show up and demand money, so now I always ask how much brokerage/customs/ransom should I be prepared to pay.

I live on the outskirts of Toronto. I payed the $22 U.S. for the UPS shipping via hakshop and $23 Canadian when it arrived at the door for the basic Mark V. That is crazy for a 1lb item that isn't even a rush delivery. USPS costs next to nothing and there are never any fees COD. Might wanna think about adding more shipping options to Canada.