Changing MAC Address

routerguy

Hi guys,

I have a network where MAC filtering is put in place. Would it be possible to change the MAC address of the WiFi Pineapple to bypass the MAC filtering, then use the WiFi Pineapple as a wireless router?

I need access to the network via 2 computers, but there is only 1 LAN port and it's locked to that specific computer's MAC address..

I typically type "macchanger -r wlan0"

Easier and faster, -r means random

as Sailor said, first type "ifconfig wlan0 down" to turn it off

after that you type "macchanger -r wlan0" which gives you a random MAC address

and last you type "ifconfig wlan0 up" to activate your wifi card agian :)

Edited by spazi

• 8 years later...

This may be me just not understanding as I am still fairly new to all of this. But when I run the command:

ifconfig wlan0 down && macchanger -r wlan0 && ifconfig wlan0 up

I am prompted with a success that it has changed. I can go into the network settings on the interface and see that it has changed. The thing is when I check by recon to make sure it was truly a success it still shows up as the old mac address? The settings in network interface shows the new mac but when I recon it still shows the old one. Its probably something simple but any help is great!

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2021 at 8:11 AM, Tomson14 said:

This may be me just not understanding as I am still fairly new to all of this. But when I run the command:

ifconfig wlan0 down && macchanger -r wlan0 && ifconfig wlan0 up

I am prompted with a success that it has changed. I can go into the network settings on the interface and see that it has changed. The thing is when I check by recon to make sure it was truly a success it still shows up as the old mac address? The settings in network interface shows the new mac but when I recon it still shows the old one. Its probably something simple but any help is great!

Hey tomson14 or anyone looking for answers, I had the same issue, I am also fairly new to the wifi pineapple and was trying to figure out how to change the mac address of my Open Access Point. That is where people can connect to your pineapple, NOT the Management Access Point and NOT the Evil WPA Access Point. 

I was able to use "ifconfig wlan0 down && macchanger -r wlan0 && ifconfig wlan0 up" in the terminal as you described and see the changes in the wifi pineapple settings but as soon as my access point would go up (or reset to change mac address) it would change back to the persistent mac (default hardware one). I finally found out how to permanently change it to what I want, all you have to do is SSH to your pineapple or simply use the module called "Cabinet" from newbi3 just download from your pineapple modules. Open Cabinet and browse to "etc/config/" and edit the file called "wireless".

This is an example of the file, look for the device/access point you would like to change the mac address of, for example I wanted to change the Open Access Point so I looked for the name I had configured in my pineapple for it.

config wifi-iface
	option device 'radio0'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option maxassoc '100'
	option encryption 'none'
        option macaddr '11:44:55:55:44:11'    <<-------------------either add or change this line
	option ssid 'Free_Public_WiFi'
	option hidden '0'

Either add or change the line option macaddr of the network/access point you would like to modify.

option macaddr '11:44:55:55:44:11'

Then save the file and reboot your pineapple and it should be boot up your new mac address from now on.

Note: For people less experience please do not modify anything else in this file or your pineapple system files without knowing what you are changing. If pineapple fails to boot because of wrong settings, please reset the firmware and start from scratch again.