Memory Shortage

Bucky67GTO

The pineapple consistently reboots itself. I am using 3.0.0 although had the same problem with 2.8. I am fairly confident it is running out of internal memory.

In my test environment there is only one connection to it and I have plenty of swap space, but my internal memory is very low.

Each time I reset the pinapple, the first run of sslstrip will cause a reboot

Any Pineapple bar updates drop the memory dramatically and reboot

Running Karma and any other infusion - will in time cause a reboot

Is there a memory leak, or is there anything that can be done to reduce the load on that memory?

i had the same problem's , i was not found a solution , so i return back to 2.8.1

the mark iv is a "toy" not a "machine" ... as the creators saying is a project ...

many many problems ...

when you made the swap file, after editing the USB fstab did you Issue "mkswap /dev/sda2" and then reboot?

edit

check your swap partition is actually sda2... not sure if I read somewhere that some USB sticks have different partition names other than default... Check it isn't sdb2 or something...

Edited by Fira

Thanks for the tip.

swap is correct:

root@Pineapple:~# cat /proc/swaps
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/sda2 partition 2097148 1832 -1

Took a look, and it seems as though there is plenty of swap available, but it is not using much of it, but is pounding the ram.

Current Memory Usage:

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 29340 27900 1440 0 1732
-/+ buffers: 26168 3172
Swap: 2097148 1792 2095356

Edited by Bucky67GTO

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for bringing this up. I am having the same issue on 2.8.1, never upgraded to 3.0. Running Karma and sslstrip only... anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, it will inevitably reboot. I happen to catch some log messages about lack of free memory available before one of the reboots. Reset back to stock, but same issue... Will be looking in to this further, but it's slow work... :mellow:

Thank you for bringing this up. I am having the same issue on 2.8.1, never upgraded to 3.0. Running Karma and sslstrip only... anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, it will inevitably reboot. I happen to catch some log messages about lack of free memory available before one of the reboots. Reset back to stock, but same issue... Will be looking in to this further, but it's slow work... :mellow:

Make sure you set up swap, that'll help already.

Well, the swap doesn't really seem help much. I wonder if i am using correctly. I set up per the post from Darren, I am assuming that is correct.

Current Memory Usage:

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 29340 27900 1440 0 1732
-/+ buffers: 26168 3172
Swap: 2097148 1792 2095356

With 2 Gig of swap it is only using 1.8 Mb. Not alleviating much of the load I am afraid.