VPN Providers - suggestions

psydT0ne

Hi All,

I've been looking for VPN provider to replace Hide My Ass that I've been using over the last year.

I'd rather avoid anything in the US at the moment and yes, I'll be using it for file sharing, remote access, etc.

I'm just after some suggestions for providers that people may have had experience with.

I work with MANY VPN companies on a daily basis so hopefully I can help. Sadly most of the companies we work with have some sort or US presence but here are some I would recommend in no order...

StrongVPN

PureVPN

Private Internet Access

My Expat Network

SurfBouncer

Astrill ((start here)

I can highly recommend Private Internet Access. They have multiple gateways across the globe, and the speed is fantastic.

Some more info from torrentfreak that may answer a few of your questions: http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/

Edit: Just came across this worrying article with regard to anonymity via VPN. Proxy.sh openly stated that they sniffed one of their nodes via wireshark. Makes you wonder.

http://torrentfreak.com/proxy-sh-vpn-provider-monitored-traffic-to-catch-hacker-130930/

Edited by mw3demo

Thanks guys, I've signed with purevpn for 12 months...they have a birthday special at the moment with their yearly unlimited subscription fee on $49.95usd.

I'm in Australia so that worked out at about $55aud....not bad...we'll see how things go!!

Not to piss on anyone's fire, but remember you can't fully trust any third party.

Obviously, it depends on what you are doing, but assuming you are some kind of political activist in Narnia - I don't think you can trust any VPN provider. Even if they don't log anything, what's to stop the authorities seizing the servers and turning on logging? I doubt they are obliged to tell the customers if they do.

If you just want to hide your Google search data or watch the BBC from the US, fine. If you want anonymous Internet access, you aren't easily going to get it from home.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why not just grab a cheap VPS and throw openvpn on it? That way you can do far more than just use it as a VPN and it will be around the same price ($5 a month-ish)

You can be tied to a VPS account the same way you can be tied to a VPN account (billing, for most people), but using a VPS as a VPN only gains you anonymity from your ISP, not the far end, since they see your VPS public IP. Just something to keep in mind...if you tie it to a good proxy, though, things might be better, but then again, just use a VPN provider as a one stop shop.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using IPredator for a while, and I've had help with issues in the past. The only catch is that the only reliable protocol they're using at the moment is OpenVPN. They also support PPTP, which isn't good, and other protocols won't be supported til the end of the year.