A Good Keyboard

metatron

I’ve liked Microsoft keyboards and mice for some time, due to there robustness and price but I have become annoyed with my new MS natural ergonomic keyboard, as they have made a few changes since my old MS natural multimedia keyboard.

So can anyone recommend a good keyboard?

I do have a few requirements:

No more then $180 (about £100).

Not wireless.

It’s not going to be used for gaming, so I don’t need lots of pointless keys.

It needs to be able to take a lot of abuse.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one from a company called Trust about 4 years ago, never let me down, seems party proof and is easy to type on for long periods. Its hardly up to the par of MS Ergonomic keyboards but its been more than excellent for the £15 I spent on it.

However, have you thought about one of these?

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html

I just love my logitech ultra-x. Don't be fooled by the silly name, it is just a larger laptop style usb keyboard that doesn't require any drivers. Here in sweden it's only about 245 SEK which is approx. £18 if I did the conversions correctly.

So far I've manage to drop half a kilogram of badness on it from a height of half a meter and spilled a large amount of water in it (while connected with the computer turned on) without any problems at all. I do a lot of typing on it and have had it for a bit over a year now and it still feels solid.

They seem to have updated it visually since I got mine but hopefully it's still the same on the inside.

3c_1.JPG

I love the Dell Quietkey. The newer black ones are ok too, but not the new new ones without the border and funky shaped spacebar. Anyway, the classic beige is the "standard" layout without some enormous enter key, itsy bitsy backspace key, or a horribly placed backslash.

Then again we all know that the best keyboard ever invented was the IBM Model M

Since you are metatron, and has far too much money and you can commite many many crimes and not even worry about having to go to jail, I surrgest you buy/steal one of thoughs optimus keyboards.

Holy crap I want one!

But failing that I want a Saitek eclipse keyboard.

It has heaps of good reviews.

http://saitek.com/row/prod/eclipse.htm

Since you are metatron, and has far too much money and you can commite many many crimes and not even worry about having to go to jail, I surrgest you buy/steal one of thoughs optimus keyboards.

Dutch review site Tweakers.NET did a review (dutch!) of the first product Art Lebedev Studios actually made that featured this technology: A 3-button keyboard that will set you back some 160 euros. Buttons are 2cm squared and can display a 96x96 pixel image. The image can change, but you're limited to 3 fps. The software that you use to program the board is at the time of this review (late september) rather shitty, but they're actively working on improving it.

The full-fledged OLED keyboard isn't available yet, but this little gadget should at least ease some of your worries that this product might just have been vaporware.

Guest Panarchy
I’ve liked Microsoft keyboards and mice for some time, due to there robustness and price but I have become annoyed with my new MS natural ergonomic keyboard, as they have made a few changes since my old MS natural multimedia keyboard.

So can anyone recommend a good keyboard?

I do have a few requirements:

No more then $180 (about £100).

Not wireless.

It’s not going to be used for gaming, so I don’t need lots of pointless keys.

It needs to be able to take a lot of abuse.

I use the Natural MultiMedia Keyboard and I really like it! But something that really bugs me about it is the stand (the things that keep it upright) is really easy to break!

If anyone can give me tips on how to fix it, I will be thankful!

Panarchy

This is the keyboard I use http://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard.php

daskwork.jpg

My wife bought it for my birthday last year. Its USB but it wont work with a USB to PS/2 adapter. Worked fine under windows and currently works fine under Linux.

I did make my own before i got this one but the paint eventually wore off the keys and i couldn't be bothered to put to time into fixing it.

My wife bought it for my birthday last year. Its USB but it wont work with a USB to PS/2 adapter. Worked fine under windows and currently works fine under Linux.

I did make my own before i got this one but the paint eventually wore off the keys and i couldn't be bothered to put to time into fixing it.

That is so cool, I must own one.....

I have just ordered two for home and one for work.

daskwork.jpg

That’s the one I’m going with. Think Geek sell the “Das Keyboard II†so I’ve ordered 12 of them to replace all my Microsoft keyboards.