Code 2600 New Hacker Documentary 8.6/10

Skorpinok Rover

Hi,

The new hacker documentary code 2600 will be released today. i haven't seen yet, but they say its one of the Best Hacking documentary ever. lets see then..

Trailer.

Edited by Skorpinok W7PC

Says it was done in 2011?

it was done in 2010. extensive editing was done within 2 years some updated material has been added

Edited by Skorpinok W7PC

Hi,

The new hacker documentary code 2600 will be released today. i haven't seen yet, but they say its one of the Best Hacking documentary ever. lets see then..

Trailer.

Awesome, been waiting for the release!!

Thanks for the heads-up, DVD ordered, review inbound in a few days. :)

Awesome, been waiting for the release!!

Thanks for the heads-up, DVD ordered, review inbound in a few days. :)

some GPS stuff was added recently they say, thats why the movie was deleayed. it shows how NSA tracks etc...( am not pretty sure, but i've heard ) can't watch it right now for few days as am busy with new sci-fi release Gravity :lol:

Alright, well, I haven't viewed the extras, just the main movie.

I have to say (and I'm about to reveal my age, to an extent here), that aside from some nostalgic bits of footage in the first 45 minutes or so, this was pretty run of the mill stuff and was incredibly far from a "hacker" documentary. At about the 50 minute mark it gets into "present day", and that's fine, not all of us ran BBSs and had hacked telnet accounts at the local university before "The Internet' was available outside that environment (but I can tell you from experience it was a very fun time, and this movie covers the spirit of that era pretty well and gives the viewer a good feeling for what it was really like back then.). But a "hacker documentary"? Not even close.

Honestly, most of this stuff is common knowledge...REAL common knowledge. I didn't expect it to be a "how to", but as a documentary it's pretty "meh" at best. Maybe the "deleted scenes and extras" have some more interesting insights, The most interesting thing was running Metasploit on an iPhone, and that wasn't even really interesting considering most of us have at least heard of, if not own, a PwniePhone or similar product(s)

For the n00b, or those who didn't live it "back then", it's good data and always good for people to learn how we got here. But for most of us here on Hak5, this stuff has been done to death in plenty of other documentaries, and anything relevant has been in the MSM already (as evidenced by much of the content being actual broadcast news clips with Tom Brokaw, Shepard Smith, etc).

I'd give this a 5 out of 10, and it gets most of the 5 because of the nostalgic footage and history leading up to "present day".

My recommendation is to wait for it to come out on Netflix, etc.

Cool, thanks.

No worries, I think your 11 y/o will enjoy this documentary. It's "light" enough that about anyone can enjoy it. It's well done, it's just not quite what I'd hoped for, but for the uninitiated, it is a well-done documentary and has lots of good general information.