New version of Pandora?

zack832

That can't be the problem. The message he's getting means that the Flash applet isn't sending its artist and title info to the javascript. The whole JVM hasn't come into play yet.

Could you please verify that at the bottom of js/pandora.js you see this bit:

/* Shamelessly stolen from PandoraFM.real-ity.com */

Pandora = {

fireEvent: function(eventName, argument) {

if (eventName == "SongPlayed") {

pandoraSongPlayed(argument.songName, argument.artistName);

}

}

};

and that in pandoraGrabber.html near the bottom the embedded object contains links (2 of them) to http://www.pandora.com/PandoraEventsv2.swf ? (The v2 bit is new there)

Yes Cooper, the JS file contained that code and the PandoraGrabber.html contained the following code at the bottom:

<OBJECT id="PandoraEvents"

codeBase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"

height="0" width="0 " classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

<PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="http://www.pandora.com/PandoraEventsv2.swf"/>

<PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="high"/>

<PARAM NAME="bgcolor" VALUE="#FFFFFF"/>

<PARAM NAME="menu" VALUE="false"/>

<PARAM NAME="FlashVars" VALUE=""/>

<EMBED src="http://www.pandora.com/PandoraEventsv2.swf"

quality="high" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" WIDTH="0"

HEIGHT="0" MENU="false"

NAME="PandoraEvents" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash"

PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"

FlashVars="" />

</OBJECT>

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can suggest is that you install Mozilla's Venkman, the Javascript debugger, and set a breakpoint on the 'fireEvent function...' line. See if it gets called at all.

The only thing I can suggest is that you install Mozilla's Venkman, the Javascript debugger, and set a breakpoint on the 'fireEvent function...' line. See if it gets called at all.

yeah, not quite sure what that means :?

Venkman: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/

Walkthrough tutorial: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/ve...alkthrough.html

Put the breakpoint where I said you should and wait for the song to change. When it does, that function should get called, at which point you can inspect the parameters passed to it by the Pandora applet.

If it doesn't get called, try to figure out why that might be. The way it works is that the main player flash applet communicates with the PandoraEventsv2 applet which in turn kicks in the javascript.

Here's a thought. A while back I was saying you should include an extra style sheet in the pandoraGrabber.html. When you installed 7.4.0 you overwrote your current pandoraGrabber.html, yes?

Venkman: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/

Walkthrough tutorial: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/ve...alkthrough.html

Put the breakpoint where I said you should and wait for the song to change. When it does, that function should get called, at which point you can inspect the parameters passed to it by the Pandora applet.

If it doesn't get called, try to figure out why that might be. The way it works is that the main player flash applet communicates with the PandoraEventsv2 applet which in turn kicks in the javascript.

Here's a thought. A while back I was saying you should include an extra style sheet in the pandoraGrabber.html. When you installed 7.4.0 you overwrote your current pandoraGrabber.html, yes?

I'll try that plugin when I get home from work. Before I installed 7.4 I deleted my old pandora folder, then installed 7.4

Hi,

I gave Pandora's Jar a try this summer and i want

to share my observations. I used version 7.3.1

for about two months, before the switch to v7.4.0

became necessary. Right now i have FireFox v2.0,

Adobe Flash Player v8.0.24.0, JAVA v1.5.0.7 and

Pandora v7.4.0 BETA installed. The music plays

but i'm back to square one when the page refused

to draw completely and i can't find a cure this

time. Version 7.3.1 (i saw 7.3.4 at the bottom)

was OK if i ran FireFox 1st, started pandora.jar

and then used a favourite button to connect. My

personal data often got cleared, a click on the

recycle button hardly brought it back and reloads

weren't 100% reliable neither but i could manage

with it - the retry button from the JAVA applet

was totally useless. The album was undefined on

many occurances (like the track number, the year,

label and genre) but i had the artist's name and

title just fine most of the time. At the end, i

had lyrics and covers too but it didn't last and

then i went back to this with v7.4.0's release:

pandorabreakdowntg9.jpg

:!:

I found Pandora's Jar usefull despite its flaws;

the only item i'd remove is the comment field...

When drawing seemed to be a problem, closing and

rebooting usually helped; sometimes i even reset

my browser's cache and tried to clean up my temp

directory if necessary. One very annoying thing

i couldn't handle was when i got a status message

saying that it was trying to transfer data from

media.fastclick.net and nothing happened: i had

to restart Pandora at that point. Reloads after

every 30 songs had re-drawing done fine but not

always (missing parts could remain unchanged)...

:roll:

Here's one old launch-procedure modification:

Pandora.BAT

@echo off

If () == (%1) start javaw -jar pandora.jar 8085

If Not () == (%1) start javaw -jar pandora.jar %1

C:

CD 

CD "Program Files"

CD "Mozilla Firefox"

Echo.

Echo Loading Pandora.JAR v7.x.x then FireFox!

Echo.

Echo Press [Ctrl]+[C] to abort...

Pause

If () == (%1) start firefox http://localhost:8085

If Not () == (%1) start firefox http://localhost:%1

Lately, i used it only after FireFox was loaded;

i usually ignored the prompt, closed the window

at that point then clicked on my favourite button

to connect. Obviously, this sequence would need

to be reversed. Anyway, it no longer helps as it

will draw as above and i can't contol it anymore.

:cry:

This post is meant as feedback only, nothing else

is intended; forgive me if it sounds otherwise!

:wink:

Okay, here's the deal.

As you may or may not know, I'm working on a complete rewrite of Pandora's Jar. The problem right now is that Pandora isn't telling the Javascript stuff that a new track (and more importantly, WHICH track) is playing. I've been digging around to figure out why that is, and here's what I found:

According to Venkman, the javascript file that contained the Pandora object (that has the fireEvent method which used to be what the Pandora applet tried to connect with) is unloaded somehow by the Pandora applet. No idea how it does it, but when I remove the Pandora object declaration the file remains in Venkman. Put it back in and the file disappears from Venkman.

So basically all I can create right now is something that grabs the 4 Pandora tracks from the XML file (which I've pretty much got going already). No interaction with the applet at all. I'm going to take a closer look at PandoraFM this weekend as they are somehow considered 'worthy' of interacting with Pandora. If I figure out how they manage to get it to work, you'll be the first to know. If I can't manage, I'll just rewrite Pandora's Jar as a standalone app that periodically (once every minute or so) checks your cache to see if the Pandora XML has been recently grabbed, and if so it will just download those tracks. It's not as useful as the old Pandora's Jar, but... well... It's Pandora fighting piracy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hi Cooper,

Pi> I found Pandora's Jar usefull despite its

Pi> flaws; the only item i'd remove is the

Pi> comment field...

Co> Okay, here's the deal. It's Pandora fighting

Co> piracy. Nothing more, nothing less.

I concur, it's why i'd have the comment removed...

:wink:

Hiyas,

I tried to use Pandora's Jar with Ubuntu Edgy and FF2.0 and had no success. That, however, inspired me to try to come up with my own method. I submit the bash script below in the hopes that it serves as a help to the developers of Pandora's Jar for a simpler way to time-shift songs.

Modus Operandi: Anything other than Ubuntu Edgy and Firefox 2.0 is a complete unknown, so don't expect it to work. But if you have those two, keep going. First clear your cache. This step is fairly important, especially if you've been using Pandora earlier.

Then in a terminal start the script with "bash ./pand_ts"

It should output only the text "Making all temp directories."

Next load Firefox and go to Pandora.com...let it start playing music.

Then check your home dir for a new folder called "pand_ts", in it should be all the mp3s that Pandora has downloaded so far, titled properly and with good id3 tags.

As an after-thought, this might work in Cygwin...no guarantee, though. Anyways, enjoy!

http://rapidshare.com/files/2997184/pand_ts.html

Edit: Save the file as "pand_ts.sh", or the first time it runs, it'll overwrite itself with an mp3...not very useful. Sorry.

Edit 2: Not gonna work in Cygwin...just tried in windows, and the windows version of Firefox is WEIRD. I can't even figure out the cache file locations...

Should work. Depends on whether the home directory is a ram disk(and therefore small), or an actual mounted disk...with loads of space to fill up with mp3s.

Biggest problem with that would be if the Firefox cache folder were in a different spot, and that's a simple change of the "FFDIR" variable at the top of the script.

Does anybody knows how to record also the station name into the mp3 tag?

Could it be a new feature for the tool?

Well, never expected that to come in as a request.

So, where would you want this? The only appropriate place I could think of is the Comment part, which my program currently leaves empty. Would be trivial to make it fillable, and equally trivial to give the user full control over what it gets filled with.

Hi Cooper,

the reason asking thins feature is about the differenent stations hraring with the "quickmix". Sometimes I create playlists with the station name and copy this music to my philips wacs700. But at the moment I can only hear one station, after that I have to create the playlist and than I can hear another station.

If there is a possibility to write the station name into a mp3 tag field with can be readout with the tool mp3tag, palylists can simlpy create.

greetings

rene

Hi GeekBoy,

I finally managed to make FireFox v2.0 work with

Flash Player v9.0.21.55 (BETA) and Java v1.5.0.09

support on the Slax v5.1.8 Live CD. Pandora does

not seem to mind in absence of the Java plugin (i

was able to identify the temporary files without

it but not after Java was correctly installed)...

Copying files to FAT-32 partitions doesn't happen

to be an issue and in-progress work is attempting

to support NTFS as well, i think that a USB drive

would be accessible too but i have none for doing

tests just yet. The Slax user installations are

based on simple "modules", i'll try to search for

"FFDIR" when i resume experiments with Java on...

I must also downgrade to Flash Player 8.0 r22 in

case it helps to find Pandora's temporary files.

A word of caution: the modular system in Slax is

supposed to be hassle-free but it may happen that

a fix is required. It was my case, i noticed the

FireFox plugin directory must only contain a link

to libjavaplugin_oji.so instead of the real file.

Once Java is installed, libjavaplugin_oji.so will

reside in /usr/lib/jrel.5.0.09/plugin/i386/ns7/

while /usr/lib/firefox-2.0/plugins/ is where the

link is to be created (using pick-'n-drop between

two Konqueror windows); the real .so file should

simply be removed from the FireFox sub-directory

if it can be found there. Using "about:plugins"

under FireFox will show the exact versions, mine

was "1.5.0_09-b01"... Relatively to the FireFox

cache, it's in /.mozilla/firefox/<Path>/ and Path

is declared in /.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini, to

be exact. That's all i got, i wish you good day!

:)

Don't bother searching for FFDIR, that's something just in my script.

What you need is to find the place that the Firefox "profile" folder is. Normally it's "$HOME/.mozilla/firefox". This is used to find the cache folder to retrieve the XML file that Pandora is currently using.

Also, the PANDFOLD variable is usually set to "/tmp/plugtmp". At least on my setup, the mp3s downloaded by Pandora are saved as either /tmp/plugtmp-## or /tmp/plugtmp/##########(# = any digit).

Hi again GeekBoy,

On Slax the default user is root so maybe i should

add /root/ in front of all paths to be clear. For

my purpose, /root/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini is

the file to look for... As mentioned, a downgrade

to Flash v8 might be in order but i'll continue...

:D

Does anybody knows how to record also the station name into the mp3 tag?

Could it be a new feature for the tool?

Well, never expected that to come in as a request.

So, where would you want this? The only appropriate place I could think of is the Comment part, which my program currently leaves empty. Would be trivial to make it fillable, and equally trivial to give the user full control over what it gets filled with.

is it truely trivial to give the end user the option to do what the hell they want with their computer?

Are you sure you're just trying to be lazy and not add that sort of option? We already have the option (for the people who know where to look and pull the information from and where to mod the script) to be able to do these things. People are just asking that it be made available to them right off the bat rather than having to go in and mess with the original. (Take a look at windows my friend, see how much you have to go in depth and "hack" it to make it bearable? You're not trying to be another microshit are you?)

Anyways, I too, would appreciate some of those extra peices of information being available to me as a user, to put into the MP3's tagged information.

I don't get it.

I'm saying it can be done, and that it wouldn't be hard to do either, which would reasonably allow people to assume there's a big chance it will go in.

And you respond to that with this, attacking me for... what? Not thinking it might be something people wanted in the first place?

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

I sincerely believe we're witnessing a misunderstanding.

I took your use of the word "trivial" to mean that it would be easy to so - not at all complicated.

I assume Cynagen took your use of the word "trivial" to mean that it was an unnecessary request and that your opinion was that as it was unnecessary you'd not consider adding it as an option.

I think the word "trivial" caused confusion as it's not usually used in the context you used it in.

At least that's how I read it.

first i want to thank you all for your great work

but what shell i think of this kind of log??

sorry for the long paste :( :

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - 

***processing directory: plugtmp-1***

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file 602498849873_160W_158H.jpg is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: 602498849873_160W_158H.jpg - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - mp3 found adding currentFile: 6296486211394464479

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v8-3 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v8-3 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v8-2 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v8-2 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v8-1 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v8-1 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file PandoraEventsv2.swf is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: PandoraEventsv2.swf - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v8 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v8 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file Secretary.swf is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: Secretary.swf - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file tuner_7_3_0_2_pandora.swf is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: tuner_7_3_0_2_pandora.swf - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor -[b] [color=orange]no more mp3 found in dir[/color][/b]

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file ReadMe.000 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: ReadMe.000 - will continue to next file

***processing directory: plugtmp-1***

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file 602498849873_160W_158H.jpg is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: 602498849873_160W_158H.jpg - will continue to next file

mp3 found adding currentFile: 6296486211394464479

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v8-3 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v8-3 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v8-2 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v8-2 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v8-1 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v8-1 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file PandoraEventsv2.swf is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: PandoraEventsv2.swf - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file v8 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: v8 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file Secretary.swf is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: Secretary.swf - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file tuner_7_3_0_2_pandora.swf is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: tuner_7_3_0_2_pandora.swf - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - no more mp3 found in dir

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file ReadMe.000 is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: ReadMe.000 - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file ~DF8666.tmp is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: ~DF8666.tmp - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file ~DF3A5D.tmp is not an mp3

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - recent non mp3 file found: ~DF3A5D.tmp - will continue to next file

DEBUG Thread-2 util.Mp3Processor - file lxn135.tmp is not an mp3

INFO Thread-2 server.Server - unable to rip MP3

java.lang.RuntimeException:

unable to find file make sure you have Pandora running in a FIRFOX browser

at util.Mp3Processor.findCurrentTmpMp3(Mp3Processor.java:59)

at util.Mp3Processor.findCurrentMP3(Mp3Processor.java:25)

at servlet.ProcessAction.handleMP3Request(ProcessAction.java:31)

at server.Server.handleHTTPRequest(Server.java:110)

at server.Server.run(Server.java:83)

INFO Thread-2 server.Server - [b][color=red]unable to rip MP3 unable to find file make sure you have Pandora running in a FIRFOX browser[/color][/b]

please fix that :roll:

Hi GeekBoy,

I played with Slax again and it turns out that the

Flash v8.0 r22 module is Flash v7.0 r25, actually!

There's simply no v8 available, apparently: Flash

v7.0 r63 is the closest thing prior to v9 but it's

working just fine with Pandora, go figure... As i

explained before, the temporary files are not hard

to locate. I see a plugtmp directory holding some

small file called 'v8' (with XML content for all i

know) and tuner_7_3_0_2_pandora.swf stands beside,

an all-numbers-named music-file with its .MP3 icon

doesn't exactly appear to be hidden neither. More

files named plugtmp-1, plugtmp-2, etc. are located

one directory level up. All this disapears when i

try Pandora via Flash v9.0.21.55 + Java v1.5.0_09.

FireFox v2.0 didn't complain after i downgraded to

Flash v7.0 r63 using a patching module, Opera will

call for experiments before i can tell about it...

Hummm... Or maybe my recollections are blurred as

i just don't remember seeing plugtmp before Opera!

:shock:

Ha yes, the music-files had a .tmp extension while

their names looked like nspluginviewer******, etc.

That must be from when i was using a previous Java

or else! I hardly make sense of my notes anymore.

Ha, and i almost forgot: songs arrive one by one;

i believe they're sent in groups using Windows XP.

:!:

So basically...

<----- Blame that bit.

I guess so. Sorry. I'm American, I've been trampled by every major business in the area, including Circle K and McDonalds. I kinda take things in odd contexts or as people love to say "out of context". No, I just take another version that can be seen. And yes, I did take it as "why should I add it?" and not "it's so simple." Thank you for pointing that out Extreme_One, helped clear up our misunderstanding here. And yes, I will attack lazy programmers/developers, simply because I've seen so much unclean, unoptimized and unfulfilled source code fly by on my screen that it pisses me off anytime a programmer has a chance to fix something/add something that the public could obviously make use of, and doesn't. Yeah, I'm critical, sorry. Cooper, great work on 7.4.0, now where's my damned StationID field and MP3 tag config already?

And here ends the misunderstanding, the end of this sub-thread, and the beginning of my unruly demands. Now obey! :twisted: Please? :D