total noob problems

StormShadow

Hello everyone,

I have a pineapple mK IV, and can't get it set up. I have followed the instructions as best I could for someone without much of a background in this material. I am running the device on battery power, and have the the ethernet cable plugged into the the WAN/LAN port of the pineapple. In the network connections, two adapters appear: one is the LAN adapter, in which I have set it to share connection. The other is the wireless adapter, in which I have modified the IP address to be 172.16.42.42, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and a preferred DNS server of 8.8.8.8. The weird thing is, it initally worked, and I was able to navigate to the interface page, only the display was "too big", and I could interact with anything there. Since then, I've had no luck. A wireless connection shows up in the menu of available connections , called "pineapple", and I have to connect to this manually. I am able to ping the device successfully as well. I am running Win7. I'd appreciate any help....

Also, I'm confused by this phrase : From the “Home networking connection: drop-down select the wired Ethernet adapter directly connect to the WiFi Pineapple, typically “Local Area Connection”. Click OK, then YES to the warning....

Am I just really tired right now, or is that sentence confusing ? No amount of fiddling with any setting in network connections produced anything that looked like that ....

MC is that you? Either way...

From your text above you seem to be all mixed up. You state that you have, on your computer, the LAN connection set to share Internet but you've set your own wifi card to the 172 range. That's all kinds of wrong. Your wifi shouldn't have any manual settings in it. Your computers wireless card serves two purposes. One, you can connect to an Access Point that has Internet and share that Internet TO the pineapple, via wired LAN, with Internet Connection Sharing. Two, you can connect to the pineapples Access Point and control it that way. In either configuration you don't manually set the IPV4 settings of your wireless card on your laptop/computer. You do that to your computers wired LAN port.

Hello everyone,

I have a pineapple mK IV, and can't get it set up. I have followed the instructions as best I could for someone without much of a background in this material. I am running the device on battery power, and have the the ethernet cable plugged into the the WAN/LAN port of the pineapple. In the network connections, two adapters appear: one is the LAN adapter, in which I have set it to share connection. The other is the wireless adapter, in which I have modified the IP address to be 172.16.42.42, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and a preferred DNS server of 8.8.8.8. The weird thing is, it initally worked, and I was able to navigate to the interface page, only the display was "too big", and I could interact with anything there. Since then, I've had no luck. A wireless connection shows up in the menu of available connections , called "pineapple", and I have to connect to this manually. I am able to ping the device successfully as well. I am running Win7. I'd appreciate any help....

ok youre doing it wrong.

lets say your computer is connected to the internet via wlan(wifi adapter) and the computer is connected to the pineapple via ethernet connection.

ok so what you need to do is share the wifi adapters connection not the ethernet adapter. you essentially want to share the wireless adapters connection to the the ethernet port so that the pineapple can connect.

so instead of modifying the computers wifi connection to 172.16.42.42 and 255.255.255.0 with a preferred dns of 8.8.8.8 you need to modify the ethernet lan adapter settings with those. so essentially whats happening is that your computers wireless adapter is connected to the internet via whatever AP you are connected to, you are going to share that wifi adapters internet connection to the LAN adapter (DO NOT CHANGE THE WIRELESS ADAPTERS IP ADDRESS OR SUBNET OR DNS LEAVE THEM ALONE) the wireless adapter is getting its ip address and dns and subnet from the access point that its connected to.

172.16.42.1:1471. then the rest is for you to have fun with.

try to keep a mental note of the route.

wireless access point -> computers wifi adapter -> computers lan adapter -> wifi pineapple wan ethernet adapter -> and so on

Ok, I hear what you're saying. It does make sense, and I had done that initially. I think I started messing around too much , because it didn't work. The first time I did this, I had set the ethernet adapter with the 172 IP address, etc...and the wireless adapter to share connection. I'll try again tonight, as I'm at work right. However, this link describes something different, re: first time connection :

http://hak5.org/hack/wifi-pineapple-first-connect#more-3457

Should I do this instead ? In any case, thanks so much for your patience and support. My background is in medicine, not IT obviously...

Ok, so this is what's happening now...I've kept my laptop hardwired to the internet via the ethernet cable. Powered up the pineapple. Left my LAN adapter to obtain IP address and DNS server automatically, etc., and set my wireless adapter to share. Obviously, the pineapple SSID shows up, and I connect to it- so both my LAN adapter and wireless adapter are connected. I am able to navigate to the interface page (yay!), but for some reason, the display is off...by that, I mean, if I click on pineapple bar for example, the window comes up, but it's too big. I can't access anything but the far right edge of it. I can't drag, I can't arrow over, or CTL - to make the whole thing smaller. This occurs with all menu options on the interface. Any ideas ? Also, is the way that I'm connecting "normal" ?

Edited by StormShadow

Here's more: I wanted to try connecting to a wireless AP, as opposed to hardwiring my access, so I connected to my iPhone as a WIFI hotspot, then changed the IP and DNS server settings in my LAN adapter settings to the specified ones, leaving the wireless adapter to share connection. At that point, I lost the connection to the interface page. If it makes any difference, the device is operating on 3.0 firmware.

So two posts up you state that your computer is hard wired to your router but you still have your wireless set to share. That's wrong as essentially you are sharing the pineapple to your laptop which has the Internet. But that doesn't get you anything as its backwards. As for the screen issue it sounds like the resolution on your laptop is so low you can't see all of the pop up boxes. Try a higher screen resolution to shrink things down. One post up you talk about connecting your laptop to your iPhone but you don't state that after you changed the laptop LAN settings to 172.16.42.42 you plugged it into the right port on the pineapple.... Internet would flow, iPhone to laptop wireless card set to share, then to laptop wired NIC out to pineapples POE/LAN port I believe.

Hm...changing the resolution doesn't work ,as it's already on the highest resolution....I'm still having no luck with this. Is anyone willing to communicate via PM ? I kind of feel retarded for not getting this...for what it's worth, here's the latest: hardwired to my cable modem via ethernet cable. I lose that connection, however, as soon as I change the LAN adapter settings from auto. So, I go back to auto, leaving the wireless adapter to NOT share. I can then navigate to the interface page, with the aforementioned results. The only way I can see the left side of any pop up box is to change the page encoding to right-to-left document.