Android Tether via USB on 3.0.0 Mk IV

exhausted

Hi guys and gals.

I got my first pineapple there two days ago. Its a Mk IV running 3.0.0 firmware.

I've found a few posts already through the search function of the forums where people have posted about tethering over usb with their droid but they have to play around with IP tables to get it working. I heard somewhere that 3.0.0 supports android tethering over USB out of the box (im guessing not requiring configuration?)

So my first question. Does my MK4 support tethering over usb to my android automatically or do i need to play around with IP tables to get it running?

i hope i make sense in what i wrote below..

The reason im asking is because im connecting via usb to my pineapple and the usb light comes on the mk4, i select tethering in my os and activate it however i live in a crappy part of ireland so i get little to no 3G coverage anyway. When i went to an area with decent coverage i used my phones wifi to connect to my mk4. So when i then load up a page on my android (which is connected to the mk4 over wifi) the browser works searching google, yahoo etc but is that my mobile's 3G connection that is displaying google (and bypassing the mk4) or is it my 3G connection going into my pineapple and then my pineapple is serving me internet over wifi to my phone?

Its like an endless loop. The reason im asking the above is that i dont have another device to test on the mk4 while tethered so i dont know am i serving internet to other connected devices?

UPDATE: Im running a GT-I9300 rooted running Cyan 10.1 JB 4.2.2

Edited by exhausted

Hi,

You are right, it tethers out of the box with android with a ROM that let's you tether. On the other hand, your phone is using your 3G connection to surf the web, not the pineapple's. If you want to access your pineapple with your phone you could connect to it using your phone's wifi.

Hi,

You are right, it tethers out of the box with android with a ROM that let's you tether. On the other hand, your phone is using your 3G connection to surf the web, not the pineapple's. If you want to access your pineapple with your phone you could connect to it using your phone's wifi.

Yea thats what i was doing, connecting to the pineapple over wifi but i dont know is my phone loading webpages through its 3g Connection and bypassing the pineapple or was it the pineapple serving web pages via my 3G connection?

In other words will there be an active internet connection for other users connected to the pineapple? Im not sure because i dont have another device to test it with and i think my phone is serving me 3G, not sending 3G to the pineapple and from there serving me internet over wifi.

Get it?

Ok new plan.

Find area with 3G and test to see that it works well on my droid.

Tether droid to pineapple and connect to pineapples wifi with the same droid. SSH into pineapple and ping for google

That should confirm right?

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I can't reproduce your setup right now but my guess is:

1. Your phone is not getting internet through the pineapple. It's going through your 3g.

2. To check if the pineapple is getting internet, just access via ssh using juicessh and check it or just point to the pineapple's UI and check internet connection.