WiFi Pineapple WAN Port

boob00

Hello there,

In all my time with the pineapple mk4 I have always wondered what exactly is the WAN port for? I have looked all over but nothing. Just wondering what its purpose is.

Hello there,

In all my time with the pineapple mk4 I have always wondered what exactly is the WAN port for? I have looked all over but nothing. Just wondering what its purpose is.

Why, For hooking it into your Raspberry Pi ofcourse!

You can also use it for internet access.

-Foxtrot

I believe the POE/LAN port is set for DHCP and will pull an IP address from whatever router you plug in. The WAN port on the other hand is hard set to 172.16.42.42 and will allow you to hard set your computers NIC card to that and plug in to be on the Pineapple's IP address range. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the difference.

Why, For hooking it into your Raspberry Pi ofcourse!

You can also use it for internet access.

-Foxtrot

Really, I never knew that. In all my use of the pineapple and pi together, i have always connected them via the POE/LAN port. I shall try it tomorrow.

I believe the POE/LAN port is set for DHCP and will pull an IP address from whatever router you plug in. The WAN port on the other hand is hard set to 172.16.42.42 and will allow you to hard set your computers NIC card to that and plug in to be on the Pineapple's IP address range. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the difference.

You have it reversed. The PoE Port is the one closest to the power plug and is a static IP address of 172.16.42.1 and you set your computer's adapter to 172.16.42.42 from running the wp4.sh on your computer.

I am still alittle confused. So the POE/LAN port is for connecting to say a laptop over ethernet, and the WAN port is for connecting to a router for ICS? Lets say i connect my pineapple to my router via the WAN port and my laptop to my pineapple via the POE/LAN port, then my laptop should be able to get to the internet?

****EDIT****

Ahh i think i have it figured out now. Thanks for all the help guys!

Edited by BOOB00

If your pineapples WiFi goes down for whatever reason how would you get in to fix it? You connect to the PoE port... That way you're directly on the IP address range of the pineapple and can access the Configuration page 172.16.42.1. Also, by connecting to the PoE port you are particpating on the same IP range as your potential victims (who would be connected via the pineapples WiFi). If you wanted to run nmap or metasploit from your laptop you could. It's just handy that the pineapple can run nmap and the other infusions without needing a laptop...

Connecting your home router to the pineapple may or may not provide it with internet, depends on the network configuration. In my case yes I plug my pineapple directly into my home router to provide it with internet for installing infusions vs using a seperate laptop with ICS.