c00k135

Hello everyone I am new here =) well I have a question the other day I was at my university on a mac computer doing some important papers for my classes well I had my usb drive plugged in and next think I know the computer tells me the usb is not recognized and then it tells me my flash drive needed to be formated so I tried to format it and it says its write protected. I have tried all the videos on youtube on how to fix the write protected on a flashdrive but still that does not work? I need someone's help please I have very important papers and powerpoints in my flashdrive and I need them so please if you know of any way on how to fix this please let me know because I am so desperate to fix it and get my school work back thanks. I do not own a mac so I been trying to fix it on my laptop windows since my university has mac computers I used them but I did not know this could happen so please any help will be appreciated thank you for your time and help in advance.

(please feel free to tell me how to fix this because there is no way I can explain which method I used so all the help I can get would be great maybe I missed a step or something thanks.)

You could try using plscsi tool to recover your data, its been awhile since ive used it, but its the first thing I can think of that may help you.

Otherwise see if you can dd the drive, then use autopsy to attempt data recovery.

WIndows is NTFS file system, and mac is generally HFS. Like linux, you can "mount" a drive if its not readable by default. If it formatted it, it most likely wiped files and made it readably by MAC File systems, and windows can't read HFS or EXT3/4, etc, without additional tools. Best to mount back on a mac, or boot into live linux, copy off thumb drive to another disk, then later, format back as NTFS or Fat32, although Fat32 has 4GB file size limit, NTFS does not. Linux can mount and read multuple file systems by default, usually just by plugging them in, will prompt to open if using like ubuntu or latest linux distros. Files may be intact, but only if you didn't wipe them with a format. If you saved from the MAC after a format and need "those" files, open on a MAC or try a live linux disk to read the drive.

Thank you guys for all your responses I have tried to see how to use plscsi but I do not know how to use it can someone please tell me how I will really appreciate it and other then that I have already tried everything else so I am basically right now in the same spot =( thank you in advance.