fractal antenna on laptop

zogthegreat

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if a fractal antenna placed on the back of the LCD cover would offer better reception than regular internal wifi antenna?

Thanks

zog

it would depend on the fractal design and qualityof th3 build of course. you could do like i do with all my laptops and get a u.fl to rp-sma center-pin pigtail and drill a hole in the laptop casing andinstall it so you can add any type of external antenna you want anytime. some links to the pics.

https://www.box.com/s/qkc4ptntmhdi7nu1srfr

https://www.box.com/s/axitk5k8fv152vdcars8

i even modded my mk802 devices the same way, however those did require soldering.

https://www.box.com/s/sj3pdi0sttrqsir778q5

https://www.box.com/s/q22jkaqytucypjttfjpq

https://www.box.com/s/y1m80r8qlbpvfn6vthsp

Hi vector,

Nice work! I have been thinking of doing the same thing. The Thinkpads come with a WWAN antenna mounted on the side of the LCD lid. I was thinking of modding one of these to hold the antenna then mod my Comfast RTL8187L 980000G external to fit under my SSD.

Hi vector,

Nice work! I have been thinking of doing the same thing. The Thinkpads come with a WWAN antenna mounted on the side of the LCD lid. I was thinking of modding one of these to hold the antenna then mod my Comfast RTL8187L 980000G external to fit under my SSD.

does your comfast have an external antenna connection already? i like using half mini or mini pci-x cards they take up less space and its simpler too run the u.fl to rp-sma pigtails through th inside of the case. there's plenty of half minis and minis that will run at 30dBm/1000mw.

yeah, it already has a connector, it was the reason I was thinking of doing the mod to the LCD cover.

"there's plenty of half minis and minis that will run at 30dBm/1000mw"

Is there a card that you would recommend? I have been lookin at the Intel Ultimate-N 6300, but I would prefer an Atheros chip.

yeah, it already has a connector, it was the reason I was thinking of doing the mod to the LCD cover.

"there's plenty of half minis and minis that will run at 30dBm/1000mw"

Is there a card that you would recommend? I have been lookin at the Intel Ultimate-N 6300, but I would prefer an Atheros chip.

i've never been a huge atheros fan, but lots of people like atheros. it depends on which atheros chipset of course. i prefer realtek 8187l chips, ralink chips, and one of my favorite minipci-e cards is broadcom BCM4312 LP-PHY chip (PCI ID 14E4:4315), its been one of the best minipci-e ive ever used. never needed any patches for reg domain override, and channel -1, etc. i have so many different wireless adapters its rediculous but i usually only use a couple different ones.

BTW, you seem to know about the antenna connectors. Where could I go to get more information on them? I.e. you refer to u.fl to rp-sma pigtails, how can I learn to translate this? They seem to be coaxial.

thanks

zog

Edited by zogthegreat

BTW, you seem to know about the antenna connectors. Where could I go to get more information on them? I.e. you refer to u.fl to rp-sma pigtails, how can I learn to translate this? They seem to be coaxial.

thanks

zog

if i remeber correctly the bcm4312 card is from a dell laptop im pretty sure its a dell wireless 1397 card.

and as far as the antennas and cables go, u.fl referes to the connection type on the mini pci-e cards. a u.fl to rp-sma pigtail will plug directly into the minipci-e card and enable you to connect any antenna with an rp-sma connection. there's many different types of connectors and adapters. u.fl, rp-sma, bnc, N-type, etc etc.

if i remeber correctly the bcm4312 card is from a dell laptop im pretty sure its a dell wireless 1397 card.

and as far as the antennas and cables go, u.fl referes to the connection type on the mini pci-e cards. a u.fl to rp-sma pigtail will plug directly into the minipci-e card and enable you to connect any antenna with an rp-sma connection. there's many different types of connectors and adapters. u.fl, rp-sma, bnc, N-type, etc etc.

N connectors are a bitch to mod into a laptop...

PICT0004%2520%25281%2529.JPG

PICT0009%2520%25281%2529.JPG

This was attached to an internal Orinoco Gold pcmcia card, if any of you were around when this was the gold standard wifi card to get.