Configure a vlan in cisco

newbi3

I am working on my security+ and apart of it is knowing how to configure VLANs on cisco switches. I have a Catalyst 3500 series XL 48 port switch. In the console I run the following string on commands:

enable

show vlan

configure terminal

vlan 2

when I run vlan 2 I get this error:

SKW-SW-1(config)#vlan 2
                  ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I am assuming that this means my command is invalid. In my study matiral the guy is doing this showing it step by step and it is working fine for him. For you Cisco people out there what am I doing wrong?

I am working on my security+ and apart of it is knowing how to configure VLANs on cisco switches. I have a Catalyst 3500 series XL 48 port switch. In the console I run the following string on commands:

enable

show vlan

configure terminal

vlan 2

when I run vlan 2 I get this error:

SKW-SW-1(config)#vlan 2
                  ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I am assuming that this means my command is invalid. In my study matiral the guy is doing this showing it step by step and it is working fine for him. For you Cisco people out there what am I doing wrong?

Try this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009478e.shtml

You need to make sure that VTP is setup. Then you should be able to create the vlan. Just an FYI...The VTP setup is different on newer switches. Instead of issuing vtp database from the enable prompt, you'll do configure terminal (of conf t for short) and then issue your vtp commands. IE: vtp domain mydom.com

doing vlan 2 lets you create the broadcast domain for it. You have to do int vlan 2. Then you can configure things on vlan like ip address, subnet, etc...

you'll find that cisco's webpage is a God-send for learning how to set things up. Usually you just need to google, "configure $whatever on Cisco $modelNumber" and chances are, there will be a doc page from cisco in the top 5 search results. It made learning cisco config a TON easier.

Edited by Drei_Drachen

You need to make sure that VTP is setup. Then you should be able to create the vlan. Just an FYI...The VTP setup is different on newer switches. Instead of issuing vtp database from the enable prompt, you'll do configure terminal (of conf t for short) and then issue your vtp commands. IE: vtp domain mydom.com

doing vlan 2 lets you create the broadcast domain for it. You have to do int vlan 2. Then you can configure things on vlan like ip address, subnet, etc...

you'll find that cisco's webpage is a God-send for learning how to set things up. Usually you just need to google, "configure $whatever on Cisco $modelNumber" and chances are, there will be a doc page from cisco in the top 5 search results. It made learning cisco config a TON easier.

Thanks for the help!

write erase or erase start will reset the switch.

The person who mentioed it must be in vtp server or transparent mode to create vlans is right.

show vtp status will tell you if it is in client server or transparent mode.

in interface config assign the switch port to that vlan. switchport mode access vlan 2 or switchport mode trunk. Then add ports to the vlans.

Just thought about it isnt there a vlan database command. look it up try it done........

There is...vtp database was a typo on my part. You can type vlan database from the enable prompt and do the setup that way. However, on newer switches it will scream about that being a deprecated way to do it. Now you're supposed to do it from the config term prompt using the vtp commands. On older switches like the one newbi3 is configuring, you have to use the vlan database command.