question about full functionality of karma

Guest nvysel24

Guest nvysel24

Ok; I just got a Mark IV pineapple I love it. I just had a quick question about karma. I get the concept as a whole but had a specific question. I believe this is a limitation of the phone/laptop / device that is looking for wireless

Here is my question. I have my laptop that has 4 presaved wifi points in them and my phone has 9 in there also.
When i boot up karma and start searching for "wifi" points on my laptop. I was under the impression that karma answers YES to everyone.
I believe this to be true but in the list on my laptop it only shows 2 out of the 4 presaved as being present. This also is the same with my phone. of the 9 it shows 3 as being "present"

I am going to take a guess and say this is a limitation of the phone/laptop/device right? What I mean by this is when it starts to search/go down the list to find an available one. once it finds one it connects to it and stops searching; yes? so it wouldn't display the others?(even though i think it would)

I guess the reason I am confused is I am pretty sure on hak5 some of his tut's show a lot more fake APs there using karma. Can someone enlighten me on this? sorry i tried to explain it best i could hopefully that makes sense.

You might check the Status page for your Pineapple. When Karma is running I seem to remember devices reporting all of the APs in their list. You might see if the device is reporting all of them but Karma only uses that list until it gets a bite... Good question.

All AP's that the phone/laptop sends out probe requests for should be seen by the Pineapples karma. However, you'll only get passthroughs (connections) from a phone/laptop if the AP they have remembered is an Open Network, not an encrypted one, such as WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc.

-Foxtrot

Guest nvysel24

ok one more clarifying question. in my test win 7 laptop to get more networks I manually add them through the wizard of adding a wireless network and tell it to auto connect when its in range.
Is there a difference between that stored info ; that i haven't connected to and ones that i have legit connected to.

Reason I ask is i tried letting it search for those and I cant tell if the laptop never sends out probes for them or karma never actually acts upon them (i am going to guess laptop never sends probes but thats a pure guess)

ok one more clarifying question. in my test win 7 laptop to get more networks I manually add them through the wizard of adding a wireless network and tell it to auto connect when its in range.

Is there a difference between that stored info ; that i haven't connected to and ones that i have legit connected to.

Reason I ask is i tried letting it search for those and I cant tell if the laptop never sends out probes for them or karma never actually acts upon them (i am going to guess laptop never sends probes but thats a pure guess)

Your laptop is probably not sending out the probe requests, I can't try atm, but ill have a look later if you'd like

-Foxtrot