All This Data Mining

newbi3

I am sure you are all aware of what is going on right now with all of this government data mining. I think this is ridiculous, if you went out and collected all of the data from every customer Verizon has (even with permission from Verizon) I am sure the Government would come after you about it but because it is in the name of protecting citizens it is okay for the government to do it? When have they gone to far? President Obama gave a speech addressing this recently and said (I am paraphrasing) it is hard for the government to spy on American citizens to protect us when news organizations are talking about it on TV and making everyone aware that it is going on. He is basically telling us "Just let us do what ever we want and look the other way because it benefits you." This is insanity! What do you guys think about all of this?

Scary thoughts... but this may just be the tip of the ice berg... eventually ( if you look at history ), this will bring an inevitable CWII

I've had the same thoughts.

I think anyone who didn't know it was going on already, really needs to wake up. And this goes well before Obama, and even the Patriot Act. We had two NSA whistle blowers talk about this few years ago, and the government basically tried to sue them into silence for espionage which is what they want to try Julian Assange for. I don't support Assange, or Wikileaks, but I do support what our forefathers setup for us, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence along with the Bill of Rights. What it comes down to, is how do you fight back? A Guy Fawkes mask, in protest, or joining lulzsec and anonymous, or do you use the tools given to us by the laws on the books to fight fire with fire? The two NSA agents were given gag orders and sentenced to life in prison, but the supreme court not only sided with them, the law and the oath they took, to uphold the security of our nation against all enemies, foreign and domestic pretty much guided their conscience to come forward.

Bradley Manning, I feel sorry for, but at the same time, hes going to get what he deserves because he was an idiot in 1, releasing top secret documents he never read or vetted, and 2, trusted people he had no real relationship with.

Yes, he should have whistle blown the helicopter incident, and had he paid attention, there was a chain of command to follow that would have saved his neck had he followed the already in place laws for whistle blowers of such acts.He could have done so, without prosecution, and with immunity. Instead, he put his trust in Adrian Lamo, but more importantly, WikiLeaks and Assange, and then turned over top secret data, much of which has never seen the light of day.

I suspect that brings a pretty penny for Assange when he sells it on the black market to other warring nation states who want that info and also why he has chosen a life of self imprisonment in the embassy, because hes scared shitless what will happen if anyone else gets ahold of him. What we see on TV and in the media, is a circus, magic act. Its an illusion, to distract us, take our eye off the ball. Most actions of our government, when things are found out, is because they want it found out. Its misdirection, and a way to flush out what they want. In essence, a form of social engineering. They found their mark, pretexted them, and then proceeded to feed them. Them is US, the people of the USA, the world, etc. Anons think they tapped FBI databases and hidden conference calls? Yeah, and what happened shortly after them. As I recall, a number of major busts, the realization that Sabu had been an informant and his twitter, IRC and other social accounts taken over for nearly a year before the public even found out.

We hear of this program called "PRISM" yet people like the Google CEO says he never heard of it until today?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/what.html

Yeah, something is not right, and we need new leaders. I'm not talking just the President, but all of congress, United Nations, leaders of other Nations, and our military personnel around the world need to be better compensated for being put into empty wars brought about from lies under many past administrations and countries like Syria, Egypt, etc, mistreating their citizens, and brought home, treated for PTSD, and given the chance to lead normal lives.

World is going to hell in a hand basket and were all just along for the ride at this point until someone who works in law, decides to uphold it, constitutionally, and ensure its being protected, as well as our rights, which in this day and age, are non-existent.

Things have always been borderline "press the red button" in every nation pointing fingers at the other, but more so today than ever. People always ask me, do I feel safer today, than I did before 9/11 and I tell them, hell fucking no I don't, nor do I feel I have the same freedoms we were given by the Constitution. We're in a state of perpetual bullshit and disinformation, and a game our and other governments play all too well. It's how they've kept order in their countries, at the expense of its own people suffering, thats how they've managed to maintain control. The rich get richer, while the poor stay poor, and unless you find some niche get rich quick situation, or join with one of the sides doing well already which are usually the big corporations or 3 letter gov agencies, you're just cattle, or better yet sheep ready for shearing. Cattle, get slaughtered. Sheep, they keep you alive, and every so often, shave a little off of you to keep you in line while profiting from your work, and then throw you back to the wolves.

Call me jaded, I just tell it like I see it. Things are not good, our country is not going in a positive direction, nor is the overall direction of mankind in general. But thats just my 2 cents...

Edited by digip

I think anyone who didn't know it was going on already, really needs to wake up. And this goes well before Obama, and even the Patriot Act. We had two NSA whistle blowers talk about this few years ago, and the government basically tried to sue them into silence for espionage which is what they want to try Julian Assange for. I don't support Assange, or Wikileaks, but I do support what our forefathers setup for us, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence along with the Bill of Rights. What it comes down to, is how do you fight back? A Guy Fawkes mask, in protest, or joining lulzsec and anonymous, or do you use the tools given to us by the laws on the books to fight fire with fire? The two NSA agents were given gag orders and sentenced to life in prison, but the supreme court not only sided with them, the law and the oath they took, to uphold the security of our nation against all enemies, foreign and domestic pretty much guided their conscience to come forward.

Bradley Manning, I feel sorry for, but at the same time, hes going to get what he deserves because he was an idiot in 1, releasing top secret documents he never read or vetted, and 2, trusted people he had no real relationship with.

Yes, he should have whistle blown the helicopter incident, and had he paid attention, there was a chain of command to follow that would have saved his neck had he followed the already in place laws for whistle blowers of such acts.He could have done so, without prosecution, and with immunity. Instead, he put his trust in Adrian Lamo, but more importantly, WikiLeaks and Assange, and then turned over top secret data, much of which has never seen the light of day.

I suspect that brings a pretty penny for Assange when he sells it on the black market to other warring nation states who want that info and also why he has chosen a life of self imprisonment in the embassy, because hes scared shitless what will happen if anyone else gets ahold of him. What we see on TV and in the media, is a circus, magic act. Its an illusion, to distract us, take our eye off the ball. Most actions of our government, when things are found out, is because they want it found out. Its misdirection, and a way to flush out what they want. In essence, a form of social engineering. They found their mark, pretexted them, and then proceeded to feed them. Them is US, the people of the USA, the world, etc. Anons think they tapped FBI databases and hidden conference calls? Yeah, and what happened shortly after them. As I recall, a number of major busts, the realization that Sabu had been an informant and his twitter, IRC and other social accounts taken over for nearly a year before the public even found out.

We hear of this program called "PRISM" yet people like the Google CEO says he never heard of it until today?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/what.html

Yeah, something is not right, and we need new leaders. I'm not talking just the President, but all of congress, United Nations, leaders of other Nations, and our military personnel around the world need to be better compensated for being put into empty wars brought about from lies under many past administrations and countries like Syria, Egypt, etc, mistreating their citizens, and brought home, treated for PTSD, and given the chance to lead normal lives.

World is going to hell in a hand basket and were all just along for the ride at this point until someone who works in law, decides to uphold it, constitutionally, and ensure its being protected, as well as our rights, which in this day and age, are non-existent.

Things have always been borderline "press the red button" in every nation pointing fingers at the other, but more so today than ever. People always ask me, do I feel safer today, than I did before 9/11 and I tell them, hell fucking no I don't, nor do I feel I have the same freedoms we were given by the Constitution. We're in a state of perpetual bullshit and disinformation, and a game our and other governments play all too well. It's how they've kept order in their countries, at the expense of its own people suffering, thats how they've managed to maintain control. The rich get richer, while the poor stay poor, and unless you find some niche get rich quick situation, or join with one of the sides doing well already which are usually the big corporations or 3 letter gov agencies, you're just cattle, or better yet sheep ready for shearing. Cattle, get slaughtered. Sheep, they keep you alive, and every so often, shave a little off of you to keep you in line while profiting from your work, and then throw you back to the wolves.

Call me jaded, I just tell it like I see it. Things are not good, our country is not going in a positive direction, nor is the overall direction of mankind in general. But thats just my 2 cents...

I could not agree more, and like you said how do we stop it? That is something that I have been thinking about for a while. Unless you are put into a position of power (which you have to be willing to look the other way to get) there is nothing totally effective you can do, at least not that I have been able to come up with yet.

While I agree that we need new leaders that serve the public, that alone won't help. We need people to actually give a damn.

A lot of people think their info and communications is safe and secure, when we know differently. A lot of people insist on waiting for elected officials to solve our problems, while they don't do something themselves. Nowadays people have become somewhat apathetic, and just mind their own business. This is why I admire community servants and activists.

Edited by nvemb3r

While I agree that we need new leaders that serve the public, that alone won't help. We need people to actually give a damn.

A lot of people think their info and communications is safe and secure, when we know differently. A lot of people insist on waiting for elected officials to solve our problems, while they don't do something themselves. Nowadays people have become somewhat apathetic, and just mind their own business. This is why I admire community servants and activists.

This is also why we have people, who work behind the scenes, mostly unnamed, unknown, unwilling to let the public participate, or know what it is they have been doing, because as soon as they do, they end up on the shit end of the stick. There are PLENTY of people who care, and I know all too well there are people fighting the good fight, and they don't wear Guy Fawkes masks, live in their mom's basement, or call themselves hacktivists.

There's a saying from the movie Robots "See a need, fill a need."

You do what you can, when you can, where you can, not because you're asked, but because you can, or you have the power to make a difference. Apathy is a problem of many people, usually with no hope or idea where to start. It starts with yourself, and your personal choices, and how you live your life every day. Yes, I think things are snowballing into a giant ball of shit, and the hill's incline its rolling down is getting much steeper, and rolling faster, but I also think there are people putting things in its path, diverting, changing, splitting hairs.

Everyone can do their part, but you don't have to announce it either...

Me, I went as far as to put it on my body, as an every day reminder, and the metaphor is not just for computer users, but in how I treat others, in RL.

Thats my right forearm.

http://xxdigipxx.deviantart.com/art/Tattoo-I-Fight-For-The-Users-364862313

Edited by digip

Good stuff guys. I hope, like Manning, that nothing ill becomes of Snowden. He's a hero and deserves a medal for this. Digipi, you make it seem like you don't believe that PRISM is real? Care to elaborate? I find this whole mess terribly interesting.. The thing is.. and bear with me here...if we were constantly being hit by terrorist attacks, we would demand our gov't to use technology to do something to protect us. It's hard to have it both ways right? We want protection from those to do us harm.. but yet we want the convience of not being interferred with... It's the same with computer security. We can create very ultra secure systems, but they'd annoy the hell out of people because so little would be able to get done.

I feel torn in this issue. I've read 1984, and V for Vendetta.. I understand the fear of the watchful big brother government... but protection is worth something no?

Good stuff guys. I hope, like Manning, that nothing ill becomes of Snowden. He's a hero and deserves a medal for this. Digipi, you make it seem like you don't believe that PRISM is real? Care to elaborate? I find this whole mess terribly interesting.. The thing is.. and bear with me here...if we were constantly being hit by terrorist attacks, we would demand our gov't to use technology to do something to protect us. It's hard to have it both ways right? We want protection from those to do us harm.. but yet we want the convience of not being interferred with... It's the same with computer security. We can create very ultra secure systems, but they'd annoy the hell out of people because so little would be able to get done.

I feel torn in this issue. I've read 1984, and V for Vendetta.. I understand the fear of the watchful big brother government... but protection is worth something no?

This kind of protection is not worth it. I might be young but I can still tell a difference between pre 9/11 and today as far as freedom goes. Before 9/11 I never thought about who would be listening to my phone calls or monitoring what videos I searched for on funny junk. Today I am scared to google certain things in fear that my own government is going to profile me based off of it. Even if it is not Illegal.

We all have been profiled due to our affilliation with Hak5... not to be the Debby Downer...

Thats been going on ever since hackers popped up in Hollywood. It's not going to happen tomorrow, but people will eventually learn the broader definition of the word.